Marathon Weekend 2018

Just wrapped up week 3 of 15 in marathon training. Then the ultimate "A" goal race for the last 5 years will be on Oct 1st. I'm going for sub 3. Then I'll be pacing @roxymama at the Milwaukee 10k to goal crushing aspirations. After that, Dopey training starts for my attempt at a top 10 cumulative finish. I'll be using a @DopeyBadger training plan for these. :D

I would hope you would use a @DopeyBadger training plan ;).

Just wrapped up week 3 of 15 in marathon training. Then the ultimate "A" goal race for the last 5 years will be on Oct 1st. I'm going for sub 3. Then I'll be pacing @roxymama at the Milwaukee 10k to goal crushing aspirations. After that, Dopey training starts for my attempt at a top 10 cumulative finish. I'll be using a @DopeyBadger training plan for these. :D

I'm looking forward to the crushing of all things.

Have you started training yet?
Not officially for Dopey, but techinically that will be culmination of all this year's runs.

Are you training for a different race first?
First up Army 1/2 on September 17 then County Marathon (although it is only a 1/2) on Oct 1- so two opportunities for a better POT!!

What is your plan for training?
Officially focus on Dopey beginning mid-October.

I'm constantly "in-training" since I have tried to make running a lifestyle. DH and I have at least one race per month varying from 5k/10k/half/full to his 74ish mile Death Race in April. Recently, I've done the Hartwell Dam Run 10k and Georgia Peach Jam 1/2 in May, Echo 1/2 in June, Peachtree Road Race 10k in July, and coming up - Table Rock 5k and Midnight Flight 1 mi/5k/10k in August, and so on. So I am training all the time, but I'll start training longer to get ready for Dopey in September/Oct. I ran 10 mi. yesterday morning at 72 degreese and 98% humidity, so I am not ready to ramp it up for Dopey until it cools off some.

Are there kilometre markers for the Marathon as well as the mile markers?
Clocks/markers are only at every mile, not Kilometers. But In the half the timing mats are at 5k, 10k, 15k, but can't remember if any k's are left up for the full since timing mats are at the 5 mile, 10 mile, 15 mile, 20 mile, not ks, for the full, but I'm sure someone else knows for sure.

Last edited:

non-sanctioned tweedle dumb challenge
Going to tell mom-in-law that this is the name of her 10K + Half challenge. I love it!
Still haven't come up with a creative name for the 10K + Marathon challenge, but the thought of having a Minnie + Mickey medal (with a day off in between to rest) seemed perfect. :)

As for training, currently, Coach @DopeyBadger has me on a plan for the Rock n Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon on 9/17. I'm running the DL 10K with my mom in early Sept., but I'm going to pace mom to her goal for that one (which will be at my long run pace or slower). After 9/17, Coach is going to continue to help with a WDW marathon training plan, but I'm choosing to view the current plan as the beginning of marathon training, so as to keep the "A goal" in mind (which is to get to and finish my first marathon prepared, uninjured, and happy).

I'm at 33 miles per week running right now. My Dopey training starts in like 5 weeks so I am just trying to get in shape for Dopey training. I don't even have a training plan that I plan on following, mostly will try to get back into pre-injury levels and then I'll follow something. I'm probably about 45 seconds per mile off my pace so have a bit to go. 20lbs less weight would probably help that, so maybe my focus should be on food intake rather than running. who knows. i sure dont. :)

Going to tell mom-in-law that this is the name of her 10K + Half challenge. I love it!
Still haven't come up with a creative name for the 10K + Marathon challenge, but the thought of having a Minnie + Mickey medal (with a day off in between to rest) seemed perfect. :)

As for training, currently, Coach @DopeyBadger has me on a plan for the Rock n Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon on 9/17. I'm running the DL 10K with my mom in early Sept., but I'm going to pace mom to her goal for that one (which will be at my long run pace or slower). After 9/17, Coach is going to continue to help with a WDW marathon training plan, but I'm choosing to view the current plan as the beginning of marathon training, so as to keep the "A goal" in mind (which is to get to and finish my first marathon prepared, uninjured, and happy).

Excellent! A couple of more runners and I may need a special booth at the expo!

2017-07-09.png
Happy Sunday everyone! I hope everyone had a great week and got those ADRs that they wanted!

Sundays are for Disney though so today's question is...

A training check in! Have you started training yet? Are you training for a different race first? What is your plan for training?

I have sort of started... I am using the Galloway/free online plan that RunDisney offers, but hoping for a faster marathon time this year. I need to catch-up on a few runs, I definitely find it harder to stick to training in the summer.

Only race plan before WDW marathon is the Seattle marathon at the end of November.

A big component for me on this training plan is healthy eating. Ice cream consumption has successfully come to a halt so far.

Question- I am putting in a new proof of time on my '18 marathon registration. I'm confused by the "Race Distance for Marathon" question, guessing that means what race you are using as proof of time, not what race you are running at WDW? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have sort of started... I am using the Galloway/free online plan that RunDisney offers, but hoping for a faster marathon time this year. I need to catch-up on a few runs, I definitely find it harder to stick to training in the summer.

Only race plan before WDW marathon is the Seattle marathon at the end of November.

A big component for me on this training plan is healthy eating. Ice cream consumption has successfully come to a halt so far.
I'm the opposite, I love running in the summer no matter how hot we get since it's better than winter :) But I totally hear you on the ice cream, I'm pretty sure I've had icecream in some way as part of dessert at night for like the last month, but I doubt I'll hault it although my stomach says I should!

Question- I am putting in a new proof of time on my '18 marathon registration. I'm confused by the "Race Distance for Marathon" question, guessing that means what race you are using as proof of time, not what race you are running at WDW? Thanks.
Yep, I put my proof of time distance, which is a half marathon for me when I pick it.

Happy Sunday everyone! I hope everyone had a great week and got those ADRs that they wanted!

Sundays are for Disney though so today's question is...

A training check in! Have you started training yet? Are you training for a different race first? What is your plan for training?

My answer: I'm not currently signed up for any races before Dopey but I might throw the Milwaukee 10K in there to have something. My training hasn't been the greatest so far since it still seems so far off. I haven't done much above 4 miles in a couple months. I need to sit down and really look at a training plan and stick to it. It's hard with school but I should get the base during the summer in case I do need to move things around during the school year.

Training officially started last week although I've been in training for some sort of race all of this year. Got a 24 relay race in two weeks, and at least another 3 halfs between now and mid October. Might throw a few trail races in as well as they're usually cheaper. After October the racing season in Scotland dries up due to the weather.

Jumping on the bandwagon a bit late but here's my ADRs for the week

Wed 03/01 - Boma 5pm
04/01 - Tiffins 12pm
05/01 - Cape May Cafe 5pm
06/01 - Kona 11am
07/01 - Yachtsman 6.50pm

Only eaten at Boma before and that was for breakfast so really looking forward to all our meals. What was that old bit of advice about not trying anything new before a race :rolleyes1

Wed 03/01 - Boma 5pm
04/01 - Tiffins 12pm
05/01 - Cape May Cafe 5pm
06/01 - Kona 11am
07/01 - Yachtsman 6.50pm

Only eaten at Boma before and that was for breakfast so really looking forward to all our meals. What was that old bit of advice about not trying anything new before a race :rolleyes1

Boma is on Wednesday - you are more than safe!

You should know your body well enough to know what foods to avoid even at the new places. Tiffins and Yachtsman are some of my favorites!

Dopey training doesn't start for me until September and I don't really have any races coming up either. My husband and I are doing the 21 day fix diet right now and since I didn't want to do the workouts, I decided I would run every day for the month of July. So far, I am 9 days in and I have managed to run at least 1.5 miles everyday. I have also been getting up when my husband does and running while he does the workouts. Major props to all of you who are running in afternoon and evenings with this heat. The humidity has been tough enough even at 6:00 in the morning!

I did the 21 day fix program a couple of years ago and still try to loosely follow the meal plan. It is the first healthy meal plan that I was able to follow, and it helped me a lot. I hope you enjoy it!

Thank you for that info - AOA would be way closer!!!

I'd appreciate other suggestions if anyone has them. Maybe ADRs for some interesting restaurants I should try? I know very little about Disney - can you maybe recommend a video to watch that talks about good dining options? I need to search Youtube. Also, I'll be there with my Mom so would like a nice place for her to see/try. I did Ohana once, and that was nice, so maybe that should be one. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Our first trip to Disneyworld we went to Ohana's for breakfast (apparently I need to try dinner though) and my dad, the military vet, absolutely loved it and it's now a "must-do" for each trip. I also fell in love with Le Cellier in Epcot and like going back there as well.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter