• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

Happy Sunday everyone! I hope everyone had a great week and got those ADRs that they wanted!

Sundays are for Disney though so today's question is...

A training check in! Have you started training yet? Are you training for a different race first? What is your plan for training?

My answer: I'm not currently signed up for any races before Dopey but I might throw the Milwaukee 10K in there to have something. My training hasn't been the greatest so far since it still seems so far off. I haven't done much above 4 miles in a couple months. I need to sit down and really look at a training plan and stick to it. It's hard with school but I should get the base during the summer in case I do need to move things around during the school year.

I am currently training for the Double Dare as my next set of races using a plan put together by @DopeyBadger. I have a few after that and before Marathon weekend and will reassess training after Double Dare. There were a few other races that I wanted to add but I'm working hard at NOT signing up for too many and focusing on what is already planned.

Happy Sunday everyone! I hope everyone had a great week and got those ADRs that they wanted!

A training check in! Have you started training yet? Are you training for a different race first? What is your plan for training?

My answer: I'm not currently signed up for any races before Dopey but I might throw the Milwaukee 10K in there to have something. My training hasn't been the greatest so far since it still seems so far off. I haven't done much above 4 miles in a couple months. I need to sit down and really look at a training plan and stick to it. It's hard with school but I should get the base during the summer in case I do need to move things around during the school year.

I started my training two weeks ago using the Galloway half marathon to lead up to the Zombie half marathon here in October. I am also doing a Runfest 5k in August and an Oktoberfest 10k in September (hopefully usually this as my POT) that falls into place (with some slight tweaking) leading up to the 1/2 in October. From there I have a turkey trot on Thanksgiving (5k), but not doing anything further until after the WDWMW trip (its wintertime and I don't want to slip and fall outside doing a "simple" run if I can avoid it). I'm thinking I'll get with @DopeyBadger :-) after the Zombie half for training advice/plan to maintain between then and marathon weekend.

Just did a half up north this weekend (and PR'd), only thing on the schedule is the Wine and Dine Challenge but going to ramp it up slowly and keep putting on the miles.

In Week 3 of the Galloway Dopey plan! Over the past several years, I have usually run 2-3 half marathons in the fall, but in deference to the Dopey schedule, I'm just doing one November half. Sometimes, it can get hard to shoehorn in races to a training plan, and I just decided to try and keep it simple.

Has anybody stayed at a Value resort and ran the marathon?

Trying to keep costs low on this trip and we really aren't in our room much anyway (last trip we were gone 8 am - 10 pm every day).

Last marathon, I stayed at POR - nice resort, but again, didn't spend much time there and was not happy about marathon morning bus service (must have been a fluke though).

I've always stayed at value resorts for race weekends (including for the marathon) and never had a problem with buses. I typically aim to be on an early bus, so I can't speak to how it goes for the later buses, but I've had good experiences.

Using the Galloway Dopey plan. Everything was going great, way ahead of schedule, until I tweaked my knee on a run at the end of May. Since then I have only had 4 training runs and I am still not running pain free. I am trying to maintain some sort of conditioning by walking the miles in the training plan right now. No races planned until the 5k on Jan 4.

Using the Galloway Dopey plan. Everything was going great, way ahead of schedule, until I tweaked my knee on a run at the end of May. Since then I have only had 4 training runs and I am still not running pain free. I am trying to maintain some sort of conditioning by walking the miles in the training plan right now. No races planned until the 5k on Jan 4.
I hope your knee feels better soon!!

Catching up on the replies from the weekend. I love how active this thread is! Today was the first day I could make ADRs since we're not getting there until Saturday. I wanted Victoria and Albert on the Monday after the marathon but they were booked. However, I was able to shift my plans and booked Victoria and Albert on the Wednesday following the marathon. Here's my current plan.

Saturday - Expo and Downtown Disney for lunch (maybe the Edison?) and pasta at POR for dinner
Sunday - Epcot after the marathon and dinner at Biergarten if I feel up to it.
Monday - Magic Kingdom day... not sure of an ADR. I may want to just do quick service and then do the dessert party for the new fireworks show? Has anyone tried that yet?
Tuesday - Animal Kingdom day and I want a Rivers of Light dining package. I understand they're not out yet but I made an ADR for Tiffins just in case.
Wednesday - Relaxed day with Victoria and Albert for dinner.
Thursday - Hollywood Studios Day will be quick service and the Star Wars dessert party (not open for booking yet)
Friday - Epcot but I'm not sure what as far as an ADR. May just play it by ear.

As far as training, I don't start training for the marathon until September officially. I'm just running with a 10k heart rate training plan for now to keep my base up and learn about running by heart rate. It's really helping, especially with the Summer heat. I don't feel like I dread going out for a run anymore. I do have some other races along the way, the Army 10 miler in October, the Columbus Half marathon also in October, and the Infinity Gauntlet challenge in November. They're being incorporated into my marathon training plan.

I love the idea of fig newtons for fueling, yum! Do you just carry them in a ziploc bag stuffed in your belt?

I haven't started my Dopey training yet. I've got to get through Chicago and probably a half IM in November first. I have started my DATW training, though to be truthful, that training never really stops. ;)

Train to drink.

I'm trying to convince my local brewery they need to start bottling their stuff outside of a growler or else I'm going to be pouring your beers at the 10K from a growler!

Oh, don't worry about pouring anything for us. We can drink from growlers too. :)

My training doesn't officially start until September sometime. I'm not sure when exactly as I'm planning to start after a yet to be named POT race. I'll be traveling for work around the time of my first choice so I'm still waiting to get that schedule worked out first.

I've been following a @DopeyBadger plan like many of you in the mean time and I think it's been a great stepping stone. My average weekly mileage has gone from 20ish to 35ish and I just noticed today that my mileage for July has already surpassed my total miles in February.

As far as celebration, I'm looking at the race itself as a celebration of all the training I'll have completed. What better way to celebrate than visiting all 4 WDW parks?

Another follower of a plan by Coach @DopeyBadger :dogdance:

I'm training at the moment but not specifically for Disney (doing the marathon).

I have a 15k at the end of this month and a 7k next month.

Marathon for time in November.

Potentially: Another ten-miler or half before POT cut-off. Depends on if I can find an appropriate race.

Alternating running 4 days/week and 5 days/week.

Current training plan runs through August 13, then we'll see what the coach has in store!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter