MAJOR changes to Genie+!

I just do not understand how Maxpass at Disneyland was the perfect system, and $15 a day, but Genie+ is literally atrocious. I literally went from Fastpass to Fastpass (sometimes multiple in an hour!) with Maxpass and felt like it was worth way more than the $15 paid. Oftentimes my family told me to stop reserving them because we were running all over and they were getting tired! I loved reserving Fastpasses in advance for WDW, but preferred the Maxpass system overall. Why couldn't Disney have just adopted the Disneyland model of free Fastpasses and paid Maxpass for all the parks- people paid for it at Disneyland! It also didn't require people to stare at their phones if they didn't want to, something I am dreading on this upcoming trip. Genie+ seems like a waste of money and a mess. We don't plan to purchase it, due to it being such a downgrade from Maxpass for the same price. We don't want to be angry and have resigned to early entry, a break in the day and extra magic hours. So disappointing Disney has overcomplicated and ruined a perfectly good product. It isn't even so much the cost, as we already pay deluxe hotel prices in our family, and have paid for Maxpass in the past, its the inferior product and blatant money grab that is having us say no.

Have you used Genie+? It really isn't *that* bad and if you like MaxPass, you'll probably like this. My biggest complaints are less availability as the day goes on (which maybe this change will help) and the fact that if you are booking a very popular ride, the times will usually get pushed way out from the time you originally selected before you complete checkout.

Have you used Genie+? It really isn't *that* bad and if you like MaxPass, you'll probably like this. My biggest complaints are less availability as the day goes on (which maybe this change will help) and the fact that if you are booking a very popular ride, the times will usually get pushed way out from the time you originally selected before you complete checkout.
I was wondering the same thing. OP's experience with MaxPass at DL sounded exactly like our experience with Genie Plus last month at MK and DHS. We rode tons of rides, I actually spent less time on my phone and thought the system worked great.

When was the ticket price increase? I have three day park hopper tickets with Cheney plus and I’m about to buy three more for the kids but I am debating four day instead of three should I call to see if I can get old pricing on at least the two I already have??

I worry this is going to be a huge inconvenience for guests. If there's a cap to Genie+, will guests have to stay awake to add this at midnight to avoid being shut out? And then will they have to get up early to make their first reservation at 7am? That...doesn't seem like fun.
not this guest, LOL. I pay for a ticket, now I have to pay extra for a service that is down half the time??? Not on your best day.

I just do not understand how Maxpass at Disneyland was the perfect system, and $15 a day, but Genie+ is literally atrocious. I literally went from Fastpass to Fastpass (sometimes multiple in an hour!) with Maxpass and felt like it was worth way more than the $15 paid. Oftentimes my family told me to stop reserving them because we were running all over and they were getting tired! I loved reserving Fastpasses in advance for WDW, but preferred the Maxpass system overall. Why couldn't Disney have just adopted the Disneyland model of free Fastpasses and paid Maxpass for all the parks- people paid for it at Disneyland! It also didn't require people to stare at their phones if they didn't want to, something I am dreading on this upcoming trip. Genie+ seems like a waste of money and a mess. We don't plan to purchase it, due to it being such a downgrade from Maxpass for the same price. We don't want to be angry and have resigned to early entry, a break in the day and extra magic hours. So disappointing Disney has overcomplicated and ruined a perfectly good product. It isn't even so much the cost, as we already pay deluxe hotel prices in our family, and have paid for Maxpass in the past, its the inferior product and blatant money grab that is having us say no.
I completely agree. MaxPass was perfect. We could go on our favourites multiple times. My kids (9 and 5), are so confused as to why we can only do things once now (without waiting in crazy long lines.) it’s been a rough learning curve and I really hope they are scrapping it for a new system in 2023.

I completely agree. MaxPass was perfect. We could go on our favourites multiple times. My kids (9 and 5), are so confused as to why we can only do things once now (without waiting in crazy long lines.) it’s been a rough learning curve and I really hope they are scrapping it for a new system in 2023.
Which lines are crazy long? We did all the big ones at least 3 times last week and only had 2 waits over 20 minutes. Slinky and Flight of Passage.

I don't think they are going to scrap it at all. Limiting sales is a big fix. Less people that have it will make it work much better.

I was wondering the same thing. OP's experience with MaxPass at DL sounded exactly like our experience with Genie Plus last month at MK and DHS. We rode tons of rides, I actually spent less time on my phone and thought the system worked great.
Its really funny what you said about spending less time on the phone, it is exactly what I experienced. Once I locked in the LLs, I was only returning to my phone after completing an LL to lock in the next one / or after the 2 hour timeout (that I would set an alarm for) depending on the park/circumstance. The net of it all was, I spent FAR LESS time on my phone than I ever did (wish I could say that about work!). So when I read people are "constantly looking at their phones in Genie+" - I am like for what? Anyway and selfishly, I hope those that plan to stay away from the service continue to do so, because I have three more trips planned this year!

This is really (literally) keeping me up at night. I have a 7 day ticket. Was only planning to get Genie+ for 4 days but now I'm wondering if I should take the plunge. And it's like $21 cdn a day.

Do you think the price will increase as well? Or just mean the limiting of how many people will get genie+?

I know you can still get it in advance till June 8th (I think). Are you able to add it to tickets online? Or do you have to call? I have the tickets and resort separate not a package.

Any help would be great while I try to decide if it's worth the $63 more lol

This is really (literally) keeping me up at night. I have a 7 day ticket. Was only planning to get Genie+ for 4 days but now I'm wondering if I should take the plunge. And it's like $21 cdn a day.

Do you think the price will increase as well? Or just mean the limiting of how many people will get genie+?

I know you can still get it in advance till June 8th (I think). Are you able to add it to tickets online? Or do you have to call? I have the tickets and resort separate not a package.

Any help would be great while I try to decide if it's worth the $63 more lol
Personally I would get it for every day at this point (not knowing how it will all pan out). I guess it depends how much $63 per person will affect your trip. At least you have time to save up a little extra if you need to.

I just went to add Genie+ to existing tickets only for MK for July 4th week but realized it's all or nothing and considering we're going with a toddler for first time and I'm expecting to ride very few rides as we won't even be in park very long each day there's no way I can justify spending that much money for something I may barely use. If they have it available the day of for MK I'll add it if not then this really will be a very modified trip from the ones we're used to taking pre Covid!

I had debated doing it on the day but thought, it's just me in my party so I might get quite a bit out of it, why not just get it for the whole trip and then I just have the 7am part to attempt with the piad rides and Genie+ rides (I don't get to go often so trying to get as much as I can done) went to add it to my booking seeing it was date in June for the change right? Got told on the call this evening that the cut off was May 25th (UK guest) :snooty: I shall just revert back to my original plan, chances are I will be up at midnight anyway and it'll save me having a Genie+ on my Universal day.

We are going starting Dec 31… peak crowd levels for 5 days (We did Christmas last I know what it’s like.). I just changed our tickets to add the Genie+ for the length. You can do this on the website. Just find your tickets, click the change ticket link, and select Genie +. I could not do it on the app, but it worked on the website.

for us, It seems worth the price in terms of reducing stress (so I don’t have to stress each day about buying it... hoping I can buy it, etc.). I even bought a new ticket for myself, since I was going to use the last 5 days in my 10 day hopper from long ago… now I will save that hopper for another trip. (you cant add to old ticket types, like the 10 day no expiration hoppers that used to be sold, except on the day of basis).

if I was going a lower crowd time, I might not worry about buying ahead…

Why can’t Disney, bring back resort perks. Such as. If you stay on site. You get genie plus. One or two per day. Then if you want additional. Pay…..off site guests pay more.
There are no perks to staying onsite these days
Cause right now people are showing thar perks aren't needed as they are filling the resorts

Why can’t Disney, bring back resort perks. Such as. If you stay on site. You get genie plus. One or two per day. Then if you want additional. Pay…..off site guests pay more.
Coz chepek is the evil over lord of darkness out to scrimp and save every single dime he can. That and the parks are full of resort guests willing to pay for it.

Why can’t Disney, bring back resort perks.
lol, At this point people staying onsite are still waiting for a perk like everyday housekeeping to come back. A lot of people are saying it's not even every second day like they advertise, so bigger perks will be forever coming.

Corporations and Wall Street seem to think they are somehow deserved to “make up” the profits lost during the pandemic. It pretty sickining to see record high “inflation” along with record high profits, and the excuse being “the pandemic did this”.

However , for now, people are paying up, next year , and the following years, they will not be able to.

I just saw hotel prices in a local tourist town, which used to run 150-250 a night are currently 350-600……there is literally no reason for the same property to have tripled in price, except owners expecting to get their lost profts back.

Its gonn bite them back hard after all the disposable income banked the last 2 years dries up……

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter