MAJOR changes to Genie+!

Grasshopper2016

DIS Veteran
Last edited:
I agree with Marionnette, I think Disney is slowing leading up to a price increase for Genie+. The low barrier for entry ($15) and Genie+ not being capped lead to the service being ineffective compared to other theme parks' skip the line service. I used both Genie+ and Express at Universal last week and Express is 100% the better service.

What I am not so happy about is the added stress of having to compete with the masses to buy Genie+ at midnight and THEN get up at 6:50 to get ready to book your first LL and buy an additional ILL. Personally I would rather just take a more expensive Express or DLP's Premier Pass just to bypass the stress and frustration.

Disney limiting the # of people who can purchase Genie+ in any given day is a good thing (if they actually do that) for those who are using it. But it will also be frustrating for someone who had planned to use it on a day that it "sells out" prior to them purchasing it. Does this mean there will now be a rush at 12am to buy Genie+ (and then again at 7am to book our first ride?) So now we are all limited to about six hours of sleep on vacation? I hope they fix the timing of all of this.

I worry this is going to be a huge inconvenience for guests. If there's a cap to Genie+, will guests have to stay awake to add this at midnight to avoid being shut out? And then will they have to get up early to make their first reservation at 7am? That...doesn't seem like fun.

A price increase is definitely coming. I'm so glad I took the plunge and added it to our November tickets months ago. I had a feeling something would be coming before then.

With ILL set to go back to 2 ILL per park August 7, I wonder if they will keep it at 1 ILL per park and raise the price at that time.

G+ needs to be capped. Especially at DHS. If this is the case and they do actually cap purchases, I will be relieved for our next trip.

So wild! Man I was nervous to pay for this for our New Years trip and I’m sure glad we did

Gives them a good excuse for a price increase. 😬
I think it might be a varying rate each day by expected crowd levels, just like Universal. Easier at this point to do daily.

I honestly don't think this is about limiting. I've been for two trip, both a week and the LL are not crowded, it seems very much like less are using than FP+. That in turn has created the SB times we are seeing with supposed "lower crowds". :rolleyes:

I have wondered how much time is is spent on guests complaining at Guest Relations that they didn't get a value from the add on they felt pressed to add in advance - which means every day. Disney has already warned Disneyland guests they might not get their monies worth, this might be a pre-emptive move.

I also had it suggested that TA are likely pushing this and maybe Disney is trying to reduce commissions.

I don't know how I feel about this change. I honestly loved using genie plus this past trip, even if I didn't use it at Epcot (but paid the I'm lazy fee and pre bought it).

But I also wasn't using it for coasters, as my older kid hated them, so Slinky dog selling out at 7 AM was a non factor.

This certainly doesn't seem like anything helping the guests, but may help Disney.
This also makes it much easier for them to change the price. I wouldn't be surprised to see dynamic pricing as others have noted.
We have only purchased it day by day, so this isn't a big change for us. I have never found a need to use it at EPCOT or AK. Just ILL$ at those 2 parks.

Unless they significantly cap Genie+, I can see this leading to even more guest dissatisfaction. If you add Genie+ when you book your trip, it kind of becomes part of your package and it's easy to forget about the cost. If you're adding it on the same day you visit the parks and it's a disaster, you're going to be very unhappy that you paid for the service just a few hours before.

I feel like dynamic pricing and a hard cap that allows people to actually feel like they got something of value from it is probably optimal (for Disney) but it’s easy for me to say when I’ve already got it on my tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter