• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Losing the Magic

We did that a few weeks after we got back from our last trip (March 2021). It was our first time going to Mexico, and our first time at an all inclusive. The final bill my god... looking at that and knowing we could make that trip 4 times for the price of one trip to Disney was mind blowing.
Did all-inclusive include Splash Mountain?

I'm not downplaying how amazing the Mexico trip probably was, and I don't mean to single you out but it's not fair to compare Disney World to any other vacation - there is NOTHING else like it. Some things come close, but let's be real.

I don't go to Disney World because it's just another vacation option. I go because I want to experience everything offered there that I can't get anywhere else.

But to the thread's point, is Disney losing the magic? After being there last month I say no. Does the magic cost more now? Absolutely. But we had an AMAZING trip. I do wish everything were "normal", but we went knowing what to expect and personally speaking, my expectations were not only met but exceeded. Previous trips I felt the magic dwindling - grumpy cast members, trash everywhere, etc. - and was pleasantly surprised I didn't experience any of that this time. Even other guests... yes, there were still some people we saw that were flat out awful, but they were in vast minority. I was shocked at how easily most went along with the mask requirements without fighting.

Maybe I got lucky, but I came away more than happy we went and not regretting a single penny spent (well, maybe that stale churro o_O ). The magic was most certainly there, and dare I say, stronger than my last visit 4 years ago.

I'm not downplaying how amazing the Mexico trip probably was, and I don't mean to single you out but it's not fair to compare Disney World to any other vacation - there is NOTHING else like it. Some things come close, but let's be real.

I don't go to Disney World because it's just another vacation option. I go because I want to experience everything offered there that I can't get anywhere else.

But to the thread's point, is Disney losing the magic? After being there last month I say no. Does the magic cost more now? Absolutely. But we had an AMAZING trip. I do wish everything were "normal", but we went knowing what to expect and personally speaking, my expectations were not only met but exceeded. Previous trips I felt the magic dwindling - grumpy cast members, trash everywhere, etc. - and was pleasantly surprised I didn't experience any of that this time. Even other guests... yes, there were still some people we saw that were flat out awful, but they were in vast minority. I was shocked at how easily most went along with the mask requirements without fighting.

Maybe I got lucky, but I came away more than happy we went and not regretting a single penny spent (well, maybe that stale churro o_O ). The magic was most certainly there, and dare I say, stronger than my last visit 4 years ago.

At the end of day, Disney is a very expensive carnival. You pay for overpriced food, stand in long lines, and experience rides that typically last less than 10 minutes long. The rides at Disney are more high tech than at a carnival. But it's basically the same experience. You also walk a lot.

If Disney was ticketed again like in the past, how many experiences do you have per day for what you're paying per day? That's the simple napkin math to quantify it. And were all of those experiences good?

Of course, some of the pricing makes zero sense to me. It costs more to stay at the Poly than go to a hotel in Hawaii with a much better pool.

The magic for me was always the customer service. But now other companies have stepped up. I can get far better customer service staying at a Red Carnation hotel than at a Disney one and pay less.

So yes, I think, I can compare Disney to other vacations. It's really a series of experiences good and bad.

Oof. If you haven't been in years then you are in for a rude awakening. It is NOT the Disney you remember. Immerse yourself in the Theme park planning boards ASAP. There have been many many changes you will need to familiarize yourself with.

I'll drink to that!!!! ☕🍼🥛🥤🍺🍵🍶🥂🍻🍷🥃🍸🍾🍹

Going back soon after 4 yrs....Holy Moly! Without daily research here, 'watching' tons of threads & being helped constantly by the GREAT people here, I'd be lost...
Wait. I'm still pretty lost bc every time I learn something, it changes....

START NOW! STUDY! LEARN! BUY A NEW PHONE! (yep. I had to.)
And remember to say :thanks: to folks here who take the time to answer 8 MILLION questions a week.

Oh. And have a MAGICAL time! 😁 :tink:

:disrocks:

I'm not the poster you quoted, but have been to the same place. It doesn't include Splash Mountain, but it does include this (which I personally found to be WAY more magical to swim through every morning with absolutely no one else in sight)...

I'm glad you still find Disney magical, but my last few trips have left me jaded.

I might offer a bit of a different perspective, but one similar to the comment about dating versus marriage. There is magic throughout, but the magic changes over time and knowing how and where to look for the magic often results in whether you find it and embrace it or begin believing that it's gone.

Having been a lifelong Disney fan from the time his parents took him opening year at the wee age of 4, 50 years have passed and MANY things have changed...including my perspective of what I find magical at Disney.

As I've aged and my kids have aged, our entertainment value now find itself rooted firmly in Disney cruises and in non-park Disney vacations. Do I enjoy going into the parks...of course. Does it hold the same appeal that it once did...of course not. So finding the right balance is what allows us to continue finding the magic. But I find the most of the trip planning complexities and heartburn deal with the parks and not as much with the resort, meals and whatever recreational activities are pursued. And with cruising, the toughest decision I have to make is how many times eating at Palo's is too much and how many beverage tastings are equally too many.

Yes, I have issues with increases in pricing and Disney as a corporate entity having to accommodate their shareholders....but I get to choose where I spend my money and I place it where I find the best value for my family and our adapting needs.

I'd certainly encourage each of you to periodically think about looking outside the box and finding the value proposition that best meets your family's needs...and you may discover that trudging through parks at breakneck speed doesn't hold the same appeal as it once did. And if it does, by all means, stay on top of how best to maximize your time and investment!

For me and my family, that means the Disney Wish in 179 days! Happy Disneying!

Besides all that I miss at the "new" WDW, I miss the little things that we got before the vacation.
We always used a certified disney TA, and each year when we booked we got a nice present. I got a large, quality canvas, tote bag with WDW in small script on it. I got a big photo album 2 x's. I can't remember the others, but it made us feel special.
We enjoyed waiting for the arrival of our magic bands with the extras bulletin included, and the yellow luggage tags with the extra ones for souveniers. You know, the free miniature golf, etc. Then the excitement really built when we attached our luggage tags to our luggage and put them on the plane. We knew that our luggage would show up at our resort that same day. Never disappointed us.
Then there was the Magical Express bus. Just seeing it and getting on to ride to our resort with anticipation of a great vacation starting:) Wow, those were all the "little" things that made a disney vacation magical to me.
Our last couple of visits in 2019 and 2020 we got a cheap, flimsy plastic folder for our itinerary. It was clear that they didn't care about making our vacations special anymore.
So as I've said on here many times before, we are done with disney. We used to talk up disney to all our friends and family. Now, we don't do that at all, just the opposite. I do think all the bad word of mouth will affect them in the future. No more families for generations, IMO.

What I can't figure out is here in Seattle even though our baseball team has stunk for 20+ years, millions of people show up every year to spend $50 for parking, $75 for tickets, $20 for a poke bowl, and $18 for a glass of Riesling? We have other professional baseball teams in Puget Sound that offer a superior product with far lower prices. And yet the fans continue to get fleeced as they file into T-Mobile park to see garbage.
its similar to Disney …..but its tribalism…

Humankind needs, on a fundamental level, to define itself by a inclusion in a group.

I agree with so many of the posts, we go every year at least once and Disney is taking away more and more perks each year. Costing more each year. There was some magic in the way employees made you feel, like you were the only one that was important in that moment. I think that generation of cast member-worker is gone. Going forward it will be harder to find younger people that know what Disney used to be all about. Which was the people! The guests as well as the employees. It’s still a nice place, you still feel safe, enjoy rides if not super busy and watching my grand children see Disney now through their eyes, that’s magic for me and my wife.

This is a copy of a letter I sent to Disney after our last visit in late November. Disney did respond to it with a generous 'make up' offer but even that hasn't changed my or my wife's opinion of Disney.

First I wanted to let you know my background. Myself and my wife have been long term visitors to your parks and have been DVC owners at Boardwalk Villas since December 1999. We are also Platinum members of the Disney Cruise Line Castaway Club taking everything from 3 day to 14 day Panama Canal sailings.

But over the past few years we have just become disenchanted with Disney with from all the little cut backs that Disney keeps making, while at the same time ever increasing your prices. We’ve just completed a stay at the Disney World resort from 11/27 to 12/4 and I wanted to pass along some of the things we experience during our trip that have just reenforced our decision.

- We had done everything we could from preordering Magic Bands to the online checkin to make our checkin experience go smoothly. That was not to be, we got a text saying that our room was being prepared but that we needed to stop by the front desk. We were told there was an issue with the system where our Magic Bands would work for park admission and room charges but wouldn’t open our doors. It took over 20 minutes and multiple staff members at the front desk to resolve the issue.
- Once we got settled into our room we decided to go to Disney Springs for dinner. We went to the bus stop where the display screen said the next bus would arrive at 4:22PM, too bad the current time was 5:29. We waited for over 20 minutes and finally asked a drive on one of the other busses if they could check on when one would arrive, which he did and once arrived shortly there after.
- As long as I mentioned issues with your bus fleet we ran into a number of times where a bus would pull up to a stop but the display read “Refilling my Pixie Dust”. You then need to go ask the driver where the bus was going, why can’t you get the signs work display the destination?
- That night we’re getting ready for bed and go to plug in all our iPhones and watches to get ready for the next day, since Disney is basically forcing their customers to use these smart devices to navigate their parks. However in room 3009 at the Boardwalk Villas one night stand has no available outlets and the other had one. Heck, I go to an Hampton Inn and they provide USB and standard electrical outlets on their nightstands and Disney calls these Deluxe Villas.
- Last comment about the rooms, have you every used the Kleenex or toilet paper that you provide in the DVC rooms? I’m glad I had seen comments on various forums about how bad it was and purchased a few rolls for delivery with our food. Since DVC members pay for these supplies with our annual dues I think we’d all be happy to pay for a couple cents more per point to get a better grade of produce. I can see Disney cheating out on these products for their bottom line profit but you aren’t making a profit on our annual dues.
- The joke on the internet is how bad Disney IT is. I’ve experienced the issues myself a number of times on the web site where you get cute screens with the Seven Dwarfs saying there’s an issue. I also ran into issues trying to use your new Genie app trying to make reservations for that day. First of all WHY do you make someone have to be up at 7AM everyday they are visiting a park to make a reservation for a ride. This is supposed to be a vacation! But I digress, a number of times right at 7AM I tried to make a reservation for a Lightning Lane or Lightning Lane+ and was greeted but a looping message saying the app was updating my experience. I’d give up waiting, exit the app and go back in but now find the ride I was tying to get a reservation for was filled up. And you make me pay $15 per day per person for this aggravation.
- One member of our party was celebrating a birthday on 11/28 and we were able to get a dinner reservation at Le Cellier. I noted on the reservation that we were celebrating a birthday, the person was wearing the Disney birthday button plus I mentioned it to the server. In the past something special would have been done to note the occasion, this time not a single thing was done.
- At this same dinner one of the entries the was bought our was incorrect. When the correct one was finally delivered the other three members of the party were just about done eating. In the past Disney would make an adjustment in the check due to this error, this time nothing.
- On 11/30 we went to Disney Springs again and had lunch at Jock Lindsey’s, never again. Our ‘server’ Frank ignored our table for over 15 minutes, he only came over when a hostess happened by and we flagged her down. When the plates for our appetizers were delivered one of them had dried cheese on it. The quality of the food was not very good and everyone was very disappointed in the place. And BTW, the birds on the outside deck are horrible, one of them sitting on a heater above our table happened to target a ‘dropping’ which landed on one of our cell phones, guess we should be happy it wasn’t one of us.
- On a positive note I would like to get a job well done to a server at Sci-Fi Dine In named Michael. He was very attentive to our needs and was very friendly in the process, a 180 degree difference from Frank and Jocks.
- On 12/2 the group wanted chocolate martinis from a booth in France. After waiting in line to place our order we were told that your systems were down and you couldn’t accept Magic Bands for payment, only credit cards. Since Disney sells the Magic Band as all you need that’s all we were carrying, hence no martinis. As someone that worked in IT for over 30 years a I know things happen, but what couldn’t Disney place someone at the beginning of the line to warn your customers of the problem?
- On another positive note I’d like to thank a Noel and Grace at the Boardwalk. My wife left her iPhone in the bathroom of our room, but she didn’t notice it until were were already on the Magical Express bus to the airport. I called the number listed on the DVC web site for the Boardwalk and was on hold the entire time it took to drive to the airport (your hold times are another major complaint your customers have). Once on the airside I called DVC member services who was able to get in touch with Noel. Noel retrieved the phone and Grace drove it our the the airport so I could get it. Now that’s the level of service we used to expect from Disney.
- We were looking forward to doing the Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party this year but that was replaced by the new after hours party. I was ready to purchase tickets to that party until I saw that pricing, we’d have to pay over $240 a person including tax compared to the old party which last time we attended was under $100. We have the means to purchase a ticket at that price but there was no way I was going to spend that money. Looking at the line of people entering the park for that party you still have your loyal base but for how much longer?

So as you can see, our trip was not what you’d expect from the Disney of old. Frankly with all the hoops you now have to go through to visit the parks, to the constant price increases, to the lessening of the experience unless you spend extra money for things like a desert party or VIP viewing area so you can see fireworks, to elimination of services like Magical Express and luggage transfer we are giving up. We have promised our grandkids to take them too WDW for Thanksgiving next year and after that we are done. Even before all the recent changes we had sold three out of our four DVC contracts and after that trip next year we’re going to sell our last contract. We also have had our broker sell all the Disney stock that we had held, I just can’t do business with your company anymore.

Lastly I’d like to mention the cruise line. As I said, we are Platinum members of DCL and love the cruise line, it’s a place where you can still find the magic of the Disney of old. In fact we were booked on a 7 night cruise in January in a category 4A cabin. But I started to look around and frankly Disney has reached a point where we just don’t see the value in paying the premium that DCL commands. We cancelled that cruise and booked a suite on Celebrity which includes free WiFi, $600 of on board credit, tips are included and since it’s a suite access to their suite level only deck, lounge and restaurant and I’m paying less than Disney. Plus their loyalty program is MUCH better than Disney. One thing that bugged my about the Castaway Club was that someone booking 10 cruises in your cheapest cabin on a 3 day cruise earned the same credit as someone that booked a suite on a 14 night cruise. Plus now you’ve cheapened the platinum level by making changes to the Palo dinner experience that we would get for free as Platinum. Plus the web site use to show that platinum members could use the concierge checking area, that is now gone.

I know Mr Chapek will never see this e-mail but I just had to express myself as to why the Disney company has lost a long term customer.

So for use, yes Disney has lost the magic.

Not everyone likes rides. I do but not as much if I spend a fortune or spend hours waiting.

Its interesting that you mentioned Splash Mountain since it is supposed to change. Will the new ride be as good? Who knows?

What I can't figure out is here in Seattle even though our baseball team has stunk for 20+ years, millions of people show up every year to spend $50 for parking, $75 for tickets, $20 for a poke bowl, and $18 for a glass of Riesling? We have other professional baseball teams in Puget Sound that offer a superior product with far lower prices. And yet the fans continue to get fleeced as they file into T-Mobile park to see garbage.

As a fan of a team that has been losing for many years, I think the difference there is that what you're paying for is watching the game itself, not a particular outcome. Losing teams often play good games, and winning teams often have bad ones. You're not getting less fun because your team doesn't shine on the day you showed up.

Disney, on the other hand, is getting less fun as it becomes harder to experience what the parks have to offer without excessive waiting (and as what the park has to offer shrinks, in terms of cutbacks to the entertainment that made the place more than just racing from one ride line to the next).

Can you share what Mexican resort has that fabulous pool you posted? I want to go there! :-)
It’s actually at a park— Xcaret. There are two resorts that are connected to it. The Occidental at Xcaret has two entrances where you can walk directly in with your wristband. The Hotel Xcaret has a boat that takes you there.

Pics are from one of the three rivers where you can swim through caves and various attractions throughout the park. It’s similar to Discovery Cove, but way better.

Disney is definitely losing its magic for my family. Many changes over the past few decades have not been for the better IMHO.

However, there will always be new people just discovering WDW. For these people, the magic is there.

In the end, WDW will continue to evolve and change losing some loyalty guests and gaining others. It’s a wash to them.

I'm not downplaying how amazing the Mexico trip probably was, and I don't mean to single you out but it's not fair to compare Disney World to any other vacation - there is NOTHING else like it. Some things come close, but let's be real ...
Are they paying you to be this over-the-top?
At the end of day, Disney is a very expensive carnival. You pay for overpriced food, stand in long lines, and experience rides that typically last less than 10 minutes long ...
Yeah, I can see that comparison. It's the best carnival -- exponentially better than the county fair that comes around every September -- but at the root, you're right. It's also a passive experience; stand in line, ride, see the sights.
It’s actually at a park— Xcaret. There are two resorts that are connected to it. The Occidental at Xcaret has two entrances where you can walk directly in with your wristband. The Hotel Xcaret has a boat that takes you there.
Been there -- incredible!

Disney is concentrating on reducing their services and increasing costs which causes many who are use to a trip to Disney, while take a lot of planning, being inclusive of small details (ME & FP+) that use to make the expensive trips more palatable. People who were on fence about a Disney trip have relegated it to the side. People who feel they have to experience Disney have walked away disenchanted by the expense and the stress.

Luckily for us we've been to Disney many times. We have very little on our 'have to' list and if we missed something we figure well catch it on the next trip. For Instance it took a year to experience the RttR in HS and that was fine. Plus having experienced it we no longer have a need to repeat the experience. Disney hasn't lost it's enchantment for us but I will say it is like being returned to a 70's park experience.

The comparison is how much I enjoyed a trip and whether the cost was worth the level of enjoyment. For WDW, the cost is going up and enjoyment is going down to the point that I don't think it's worth it anymore. On the other hand, I had an amazing time in Spain last fall for a reasonable cost, so I'd rather do that again than a WDW trip.

The comparison is how much I enjoyed a trip and whether the cost was worth the level of enjoyment. For WDW, the cost is going up and enjoyment is going down to the point that I don't think it's worth it anymore. On the other hand, I had an amazing time in Spain last fall for a reasonable cost, so I'd rather do that again than a WDW trip.

This is exactly how I make comparisons at this point as well.

Of course one trip is not exactly the same experience as another, but I weigh out how good a value that particular experience was for the price.

In several years we may decide that it's a good value to take our adult kids on a Disney trip because there will be enough new attractions plus the nostalgia factor that we may feel the experience is worth the price tag again. But at this point it's just not worth the money for the experience that I believe we will get. Instead of feeling the "magic" Disney high like we used to, we have felt stressed, overwhelmed, and ready to go home. Our last trip, I felt that way on Day 1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter