• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Losing the Magic

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
I hear a lot of people saying that Disney World is "losing the magic" or that the "magic is being eroded"... how so? I still love it!

To me DIsney is just like a relationship. Sure you still remember your first time as being magical. Is it just as special on your 20th trip? No way and nor should you expect it to be. I love being married but it isn't magical as when I was first dating. Still great just less magical.

I love WDW, but I have seen a lot of shrinkflation going on, as in they are charging the same or more, but giving less in return. Can I still have a good time? Yes, but not quite as good as it used to be. I miss daily housekeeping at all resort levels, I miss the parking lot trams, I miss dedicated and longer Extra Magic Hours (mainly so I could avoid the crowds by going to other parks), and I miss spontaneity as an AP, to go whenever and wherever I want, as my ticket entitlements say I should be able to.

There is still magic, but I have to look a little deeper and put in work to make it happen, where it used to simply be there waiting for me to enjoy it.

I love WDW but I truly dread the planning phase now. It is so much work to plan a vacation. You have to know which park you want to visit on which day months in advance, pick where you want to dine months in advance if you want a chance to eat anywhere, MDE is awful to work with. I hate planning a WDW trip now. Now I have no idea how to manage the new Genie Plus system....ahhh

MJ

I loved taking my kids to DL and WDW, but I am sick of the nickel and diming and excessive planning required. We sold our last DVC last year (and NOW my daughter tells me she is planning on having kids soon--I thought she was against it. Sigh. It was for Grand Californian, too, which we love.) For DH and me the magic is mostly gone--give me a cruise, beach house, or Vegas vacation instead, because they're so much easier to plan and less expensive.

Last edited:
I haven't actually gone in years but hope to in September...

What's this Genie Plus system I keep hearing about? Have things changed since I was last there a few years back? Can't you just buy park tickets and go in the parks as you see fit, basically park hopping if you pay enough?

We still love Disney but needed a break. It seems they are charging more and taking away perks. Also, it seems to be jam packed all the time now. I just have a hard time spending that kind of money to wait in long lines. I have also heard the food has gone down hill and the parks are not very clean (which goes hand in hand with more crowds.) I miss the days when we could walk on rides and do no planning LOL. No more slow time.

We will go back though. Right now I think they are working out the kinks and trying to figure out crowd levels, staffing etc. post pandemic. Like a pp said, it feels like nickel and diming for everything (genie +, magical express etc.). We used to go every year, but have not been in about 3 years and have no immediate plans to return. The good thing is that we discovered new places to travel.

I haven't actually gone in years but hope to in September...

What's this Genie Plus system I keep hearing about? Have things changed since I was last there a few years back? Can't you just buy park tickets and go in the parks as you see fit, basically park hopping if you pay enough?
Yes, it is quite different. You need a ticket plus a park reservation for each park for each day - they were sold out of reservations for some parks just last week (March 13-19) when we were there.

If it is in your budget, park hopping and Genie+ for MK and HS and rope dropping for the most popular rides are good ideas; if it is not too busy then you may not need G+ for AK and Epcot.

We are going to DL this year after decades of WDW vacations.
It will probably be our swan song for Disney only vacations. Its too expensive for what you get, and what you get is less and less every year.

I will always feel like a kid when at MK and seeing Mickey and the gang, even at 50, but the planning and required dedication to get just the very basic WDW vacation things done now is just over the top.

Its too much to deal with on vacation, I love planning, but its almost impossible to enjoy the parks without phones and detailed planning anymore.

Thats just no longer my Idea of a good time, especially at the price point.

Can't you just buy park tickets and go in the parks as you see fit, basically park hopping if you pay enough?

No, in fact I've heard people are being turned away at the gate from using tickets they just bought because it doesn't require you to make a reservation for that park when you buy a ticket. Also, you CAN park hop but only after 2 PM, and ONLY if that park isn't considered "full"...and you can't hop to another park after that.

The planning is no longer fun. They have cut too many things. Hate genie plus. Hate the reservation system and no park hopping before 2 pm. We pay a lot of money and dont feel we are getting our money's worth anymore. We did Universal and Disney recently - overwhelmingly my party preferred Universal (we are former Disney AP holders). Oh and really dont care for harmonious!

I responded to this question in another post. Former DL cast member in college, AP holder for decades. Just can't do it anymore. The cost does not justify the current experience. I miss going last minute in the 90s for dinner and some rides on a Friday night; lots of entertainment, fabulous food, and fall days when the park was quiet.

No, in fact I've heard people are being turned away at the gate from using tickets they just bought because it doesn't require you to make a reservation for that park when you buy a ticket. Also, you CAN park hop but only after 2 PM, and ONLY if that park isn't considered "full"...and you can't hop to another park after that.
Pandemic offshoot. Wonder if it will continue? Only been to WDW once, in June 2017 and we park hopped no problem. They were experimenting with "Express Bus" service. We were there for a week and it $29 per person for the week. The bus took you from inside one park to another without having to go through security again. And you got to see a lot of back stage areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter