• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Losing the Magic

Agree loss of magical express sentiment. It was a nice way to extend the bubble.

It was such a nice way to kick off your trip. It was like the portal to the magical world you'd get to be living in for the next week. Once you queued up for ME, you knew that all the stress of planning the trip could be let go, and Disney was going to whisk you away to a place where all those cares were far away.

Now, not only is that gone, but with the crowds, and understaffing, and poor quality in food and merch, and the stories of guests urinating in public, it's like... this is actually WORSE than my daily life, and I'm paying Disney how much for this privilege? Nonetheless, we have a trip planned in 2023, so I suppose I am part of the problem. Haven't been since 2016, and just need to see it for myself to believe it, I suppose.

I was super depressed when I heard about the discontinuation of the ME. It was a big deal for my family and I. And sure there are "other" options now, but that bubble off the plane just gave me a special feeling.

I think that everyone looks for something different from their Disney experience.
Whether that experience lives up to their expectation is based on the individual.

My DD1 loved going to WDW for the first time and she loves going to DHHIR for our vacations.
Again, everyone has different expectations for their Disney trips/experiences.

I think that everyone looks for something different from their Disney experience.
Whether that experience lives up to their expectation is based on the individual.

Absolutely. A first timer to WDW has no idea what once was. It very well may be magical for them.
I have been going for 20 years so for me it just isn’t the same and it just isn’t special or magical anymore.

Absolutely. A first timer to WDW has no idea what once was. It very well may be magical for them.
I have been going for 20 years so for me it just isn’t the same and it just isn’t special or magical anymore.
Makes sense for sure.

I am sure Disney is betting on that as well. There are so many new people going, or will be that have no idea how things were even just a few years ago. So really the complaints will dwindle I imagine. I have read many posts here of first timers gushing at how great it was and really don't know why anyone would be critical.

My children are in their mid-twenties and early thirties and grew up going to WDW at least once a year. They have friends that had the same experiences growing up. Some of those friends are now married with children who have taken their first and last trip to WDW. One friend got back recently from a trip that was planned in 2020, right after everything shut down. They won't be going back and are letting everyone they know about their poor experience.

My children are in their mid-twenties and early thirties and grew up going to WDW at least once a year. They have friends that had the same experiences growing up. Some of those friends are now married with children who have taken their first and last trip to WDW. One friend got back recently from a trip that was planned in 2020, right after everything shut down. They won't be going back and are letting everyone they know about their poor experience.

My kids are in that same age bracket.
We always talk about making it a yearly extended family thing, big timeshare, me babysitting while they play in parks with SO - it would be a bummer to lose that sort of family identity and that's what I feel like I'm reading :(

That makes me feel like many are being priced out as well. And although it never was exactly affordable, you didn't need to take out a second mortgage or spend five years saving up to go. It's mind blowing to me on how "cheap" it was even a few years ago. And now pricing out a trip makes my head hurt.
Our first family trip in 2008 (8 nights at Pop) was $1767. Today, just the park tickets alone for my family are $4181.

Part of the reason we enjoyed going to Disney every year was because we felt it was a great value for the money. Our family income has tripled since we first started going, but even though we make significantly more money we feel like we have been priced out. I'm just not willing to spend what they're currently asking (especially for a lesser experience).

I think, for this to have an impact, families need to figure out alternatives.
We have a trip planned to an all-inclusive in Mexico in May that has unlimited access to Xcaret park. The entire trip for 5 people is less than the price of just the park tickets for Disney. My husband and I went there without the kids in 2020. No stress, no planning/making reservations months ahead of time.

I myself talking about how great a time WDW was for the past 20 years (and others like me) really made them what they are today.

Word of mouth is probably the most important things people consider when planning any vacation.
My husband and I were so into Disney and talked it up to all our family and friends about how magical and wonderful our trips were for years. I'm honestly kind of embarrassed now. People that are just going for the first time where it's super crowded and stressful think we were absolutely crazy because how could we possibly have enjoyed it so much? They really can't believe that it was such a different experience just a few years ago.

My parents have three DVC contracts for using with the grandchildren and they are already about done too.

Some of my daughters favorite memories from their childhood were those 3AM magic hours!
Us too. Wandering around an empty park and riding Big Thunder Mountain over and over again.

We always talk about making it a yearly extended family thing, big timeshare, me babysitting while they play in parks with SO - it would be a bummer to lose that sort of family identity and that's what I feel like I'm reading :(

My parents took me every couple of years in the 80s to the Disney. I went as a university student twice in the 90s. I didn't return again until the Great Recession hit. And I didn't really care for WDW with all of the new planning. FP+ was a big turn off for me. Then, I went to Disneyland and had a good time, so I mainly went there. I also had a good time at Universal Orlando. But these vacations are much more expensive than hiking and camping, which has been my go to activity since I graduated university. Hiking is cheap. I really only have to replace my trail runners every 6 months.

I struggle with repetitive vacations. As a kid the two things that kept WDW interesting was the building of new parks and growing taller to get on more rides. And from a planning perspective it was to always ride the new rides first and then the old ones next.

It sounds like their kids are bored from the repetition, so it's not really worth the hassle.

I am sure Disney is betting on that as well. There are so many new people going, or will be that have no idea how things were even just a few years ago. So really the complaints will dwindle I imagine. I have read many posts here of first timers gushing at how great it was and really don't know why anyone would be critical.

And really, if your baseline is Six Flags, Disney is going to blow you away even on its worst day. But will it be enough to justify the price tag? That's the question for me.

My dd 24 would love to continue to go but once she priced up her own trip she said there’s no way she could spend that much. I don’t know what will happen if she has kids. I’m sure she’ll feel like she has to take them at least once.
My 2 ds’s never really loved it as much as dd and I, so I don’t see them making a WDW trip a priority for when they have families.
There was a time when I had the same vision as LuvOrlando. I had dreams of being able to treat all my kids and grandkids to WDW vacations. Now I know I could never afford that on a regular basis, but even if I could I don't see it the same anymore :(

It is a bummer, I feel somewhat jaded by WDW that I can't see myself getting the enjoyment with my (future) grandkids that I did with my own kids. It's Ok though, there are so many other great destinations out there to start new family traditions.

We bought DVC once we were at an age where we could vacation multiple times each year. We chose WDW VGF because we love the Magic (and monorail) and all the options for any age of our guests etc. However, as we are now mid-60s we find the "married to tech" way of enjoying the parks is not for us. We liked to get up in the morning, walk, have coffee, and then head to the parks to use our fast passes and have lunch. At least every other night we had a fine dining reservation. Now we find you have to be up at 7 am and there is not relaxation away from tech. A printed menu is even an ask. The Genie+ and LL interfere with dining reservations as you never know what time frame you will deal with. Tech plans the day not us!! We do miss the Magical Express but that was a day in and day out take away (which is very unfortunate) but the park issues are daily!!! We'll just use points in another manner and just visit less. (If I can convince DH to return after our October 2021 and December/January visits with the concerns aforementioned. He has clearly stated he does not need to return. He loves the rides but hates the new process.)

I think, in general, the fan community has done a poor job of placing "blame" for things they don't like. If you don't like the merchandise shortage, blame COVID. If you don't like the staffing shortage, blame COVID and the federal government. If you don't like the loss of Magical Express, blame Disney. I think people in general are just in a crabby mood and they're laying it on Disney's doorstep. It's not that Disney in particular sucks right now, the whole world kind of sucks right now.
I agree people seem to be crabby more than in the past, but I disagree that pretty much blame Covid for everything. Yes, you can go to DW and have a decent time and as someone else stated I will always find walking into the park and seeing the characters is magical. But what is not magical is: Loss of Magical Express, loss of fast passes, free magic bands with a resort reservation, being nickeled and dime to death, and if you decide to purchase Genie+ It does not work as well as the previous fast passes (and you need to pay for it) the high costs of Individual Lightening Lanes after already paying for a park ticket, parks are sooo very crowded, very long lines so that if you do not use ILL and or Genue+ you will not ride many rides esp with young children! Then there is the issue where you need to live on your phone which I hate as I go on vacation to relax and be off of my phone!
Some one else mentioned where you used to get the vacation booklet which was magical to ready for your vacation, the luggage tags and all those things that set Disney apart. They have become like all other parks. After our recent trip I have had it with DW and we are going to Disneyland this year and putting all DW trips on hold until things hopefully get better. Otherwise I will rent out my DVC points or visit Hilton Head or Vero Beach but definitely not the Diane World! Disney get your act together as I hate feeling this way about my favorite place to visit.

We bought DVC once we were at an age where we could vacation multiple times each year. We chose WDW VGF because we love the Magic (and monorail) and all the options for any age of our guests etc. However, as we are now mid-60s we find the "married to tech" way of enjoying the parks is not for us. We liked to get up in the morning, walk, have coffee, and then head to the parks to use our fast passes and have lunch. At least every other night we had a fine dining reservation. Now we find you have to be up at 7 am and there is not relaxation away from tech. A printed menu is even an ask. The Genie+ and LL interfere with dining reservations as you never know what time frame you will deal with. Tech plans the day not us!! We do miss the Magical Express but that was a day in and day out take away (which is very unfortunate) but the park issues are daily!!! We'll just use points in another manner and just visit less. (If I can convince DH to return after our October 2021 and December/January visits with the concerns aforementioned. He has clearly stated he does not need to return. He loves the rides but hates the new process.)
Well said! Totally agree!

We have a trip planned to an all-inclusive in Mexico in May that has unlimited access to Xcaret park. The entire trip for 5 people is less than the price of just the park tickets for Disney. My husband and I went there without the kids in 2020. No stress, no planning/making reservations months ahead of time.

We did that a few weeks after we got back from our last trip (March 2021). It was our first time going to Mexico, and our first time at an all inclusive. The final bill my god... looking at that and knowing we could make that trip 4 times for the price of one trip to Disney was mind blowing.

To me DIsney is just like a relationship. Sure you still remember your first time as being magical. Is it just as special on your 20th trip? No way and nor should you expect it to be. I love being married but it isn't magical as when I was first dating. Still great just less magical.
True but…… I have been married 42 years and going to Disney just as long but if my wife changed and changed her ways towards me like Disney has, she would be on shaky grounds😐😐😐😃😃😃

I agree people seem to be crabby more than in the past, but I disagree that pretty much blame Covid for everything. Yes, you can go to DW and have a decent time and as someone else stated I will always find walking into the park and seeing the characters is magical. But what is not magical is: Loss of Magical Express, loss of fast passes, free magic bands with a resort reservation, being nickeled and dime to death, and if you decide to purchase Genie+ It does not work as well as the previous fast passes (and you need to pay for it) the high costs of Individual Lightening Lanes after already paying for a park ticket, parks are sooo very crowded, very long lines so that if you do not use ILL and or Genue+ you will not ride many rides esp with young children! Then there is the issue where you need to live on your phone which I hate as I go on vacation to relax and be off of my phone!
Some one else mentioned where you used to get the vacation booklet which was magical to ready for your vacation, the luggage tags and all those things that set Disney apart. They have become like all other parks. After our recent trip I have had it with DW and we are going to Disneyland this year and putting all DW trips on hold until things hopefully get better. Otherwise I will rent out my DVC points or visit Hilton Head or Vero Beach but definitely not the Diane World! Disney get your act together as I hate feeling this way about my favorite place to visit.
I could not agree more with your well written assessment of what is the current way of the WDW organization. However, we see little changing as the parks are packed and visitors are paying the prices. We, like you, are going a different direction with our DVC points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter