Latest School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have got to find a way to 1. protect our kids, 2. find out what is causing these shooters to do what they do and stop it, 3. and yes, more background checks and metal health checks on those that do purchase weapons. But 3 isn't going to do anything without 1 and 2. for the simple reason that for some of these shooters they are NOT gun owners. Their parents are. If their parents can pass the background and mental health checks then there will still be guns in the household. You can hold the parents responsible for what their kid does with their gun but is that going to stop it?

Make the parents liable for the actions! A few big lawsuits and maybe parents will be better on locking their weapons up so teenagers cant get to them.

And as to sex being an issue? Geez am I the only one who thinks we need MORE sex? I cannot help but think more sex and love would eliminate some of the pain and hate these shooters feel.

For the record - I own a gun (a purple Ruger) but would gladly give it up.

Make the parents liable for the actions! A few big lawsuits and maybe parents will be better on locking their weapons up so teenagers cant get to them.

And as to sex being an issue? Geez am I the only one who thinks we need MORE sex? I cannot help but think more sex and love would eliminate some of the pain and hate these shooters feel.

My husband was talking about that one, making parents liable for what children do when they steal their guns...

However I'm concerned about where that one would go. Lets assume that the guns are locked up per local law (and I live in MA so if others laws don't require then ok lets start there and require the guns to be locked up)

A teenager can be left home alone. Most are at times. With a few hours to do it most gun cabinents can easiliy be broken into if a person is determined. (lets say the kid convinced Dad to let him stay home sick today or even that Dad goes to work before teenager goes to school thus giving them some time before he goes in)

Does that really make it the parents fault that the child got ahold of it? I mean if this wasn't there child and someone broke into their house then the cabinent and stole a gun I don't think we would be wanting to put the liability on the gun owner.

SOME parents. Some are good now about locking them up.

Were the guns this boy used locked up or just left out? Do we know?

A lot of boys this one's age hunt with their fathers. They are going to know how to get in to get the guns. So are we going to make a law that says a father cannot tell his teen age son how to get to the guns? Teens hunt, shoot in competitions, etc. We aren't talking about a small child here.

My husband was talking about that one, making parents liable for what children do when they steal their guns...

However I'm concerned about where that one would go. Lets assume that the guns are locked up per local law (and I live in MA so if others laws don't require then ok lets start there and require the guns to be locked up)

A teenager can be left home alone. Most are at times. With a few hours to do it most gun cabinents can easiliy be broken into if a person is determined. (lets say the kid convinced Dad to let him stay home sick today or even that Dad goes to work before teenager goes to school thus giving them some time before he goes in)

Does that really make it the parents fault that the child got ahold of it? I mean if this wasn't there child and someone broke into their house then the cabinent and stole a gun I don't think we would be wanting to put the liability on the gun owner.

You’re also opening a can of worms regarding things like kids swiping the car & killing someone. We have a friend whose daughter died in this manner - tboned by a 12 year old girl in a stolen car.

Regardless of whether or not Lt. Col. North, Ret, has any actual decision making ability for the NRA, having somebody be president who was heavily involved in a scheme to sell arms to Iran (contrary to an arms embargo) in turn to fund rebels in Nicaragua (which was forbidden by Congress) is a bad look.

I'm more for proper storage of guns. A gun locked up in a case for me personally would be proper storage.

A gun on a chair at a height that a 3 year can get to or a gun stored in a purse in a shopping cart with the child in the shopping cart do not constitute proper storage for me (purses sold with gun storage I get I just don't think proper storage is putting the purse with the gun inside next to a child).

I don't know that it would be morally fair to punish parents when their kids break into a properly locked gun case for example.

Not everyone used seat belts, until they started passing laws you have to, hard to believe now. What you find is laws do work with most people. I know it is not a 100% solution, nothing ever is. But passing laws requiring guns to be locked if there are under 18 in the house would see most people follow the law. Yes we know not everyone, just like not everyone wears a seat belt but I think you would find most would.

Its common sense laws that do not hurt any legitimate gun owner, why are we blocking those. That is what frustrates everyone. We have the NRA buying off politicians with 60 million an election stopping common sense laws. That is why the existing members in congress will be in for it this election. In California we know its a republican in the mailers if they do not mention what party they represent, funny but true

I'm all for laws requiring guns to be locked up in homes while not in use if children live there. I'm also all for laws holding the parents liable if their child steals their unlocked guns and uses them in a crime. If a parent gives the child the combination or key to the gun safe, then it is the same as not locking them up and they should also be held liable for the use of that weapon. The parent's negligence contributes to the crime. If a gun safe is broken into by a child then the parent was not negligent and should not be held accountable.

The NRA is governed by its Board of Director and the Board does select its president so it is far from an honourary appointment.

To say that sex and violence in movies and video games is to blame is as silly as blaming the problem solely on guns.

I didn't say that. And you have no idea if that's the case or not. 2 of the mass shooters of recent mass shootings, one being the movie theater shooter, were interviewed by police and both said they played violent video games every day. No I'm not saying these are specifically the only causes, but there are many factors that contribute to mental derangement and there's no doubt in my mind that graphic violence on the internet, video games, movies, TV, the absence of 2 parents, the absence of a church centered life, the absence of mandated mental illness services are all major contributors to the problem.

I'm kind of in favour of metal detectors - they'd go bleep for guns AND knives. On the other hand, it would require investment and wouldn't be effective against foreign weapons. I fear there is no easy answer.

[ETA] I guess too that they are not very effective against guns and knives that aren't brought physically in to the school. I mean, if a student goes nuts and gets a hold of a weapon, all they need do is come to the school yard and open fire there. Sad state of being.

[ETA 2] Also, if they want a gun in school, they could just pop it through a window...

Last edited:
I didn't say that. And you have no idea if that's the case or not. 2 of the mass shooters of recent mass shootings, one being the movie theater shooter, were interviewed by police and both said they played violent video games every day. No I'm not saying these are specifically the only causes, but there are many factors that contribute to mental derangement and there's no doubt in my mind that graphic violence on the internet, video games, movies, TV, the absence of 2 parents, the absence of a church centered life, the absence of mandated mental illness services are all major contributors to the problem.
With all due respect people come from all walks of life. It would be ignorant to assume that others need to be just like you and those around you-speaking towards your 2 parents, church comments.

Depends on who you are. No one is required to be of a certain faith or be religious at all.

I don’t disagree with you but but I don’t completely disagree with her either. Yeah I know that doesn’t make sense lol.

I can’t help but wonder if we have desensitized our kids of violence. On one hand, my son plays violent video games, has for a long time. So my first answer is that video games aren’t a problem. But then I think about the fact he didnt actually grow up with them. He didn’t grow up with the constant violence being in his face. These kids have literally grown up with violence in their face 24/7.

As for the church centered life, I am not sure what the pp meant but when I think of the whole church every Sunday, going to church functions, etc; it’s about family. Doesn’t matter what faith or if it has anything to do with faith but when people were doing more of that kind of stuff, they were spending time with the family. They went to these things as a family and spent time with other families. A lot of people don’t do any of that anymore.

Add to that the decline in two parent households and it can be a problem. And having one parent not in a child’s life can cause some mental health problems.

I am in no way saying that any of this is what is causing these things to happen but any of it could be a contributing factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter