Latest School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read Canada's laws, very sensible, absolutely no restriction on classic hunting rifles but hand guns are more restrictive, and Rambo make me look cool guns are not allowed. But you can't compare the US to Canada because they have Justin Beiber

Not entirely true. In most parts of Canada, it’s easier to purchase a semi-auto rifle than it would be in say Connecticut. It IS much more difficult to purchase a handgun.

Which of those laws would have stopped this shooting?
To own a hand gun, from what I read you need training, where chapter one is probably do not leave your guns out unlocked so your kids can play with them. Also reports say he used a sawed off shot gun, I doubt those are legal, it is pretty hard to carry an old fashioned hunting rifle hidden in your jacket.

Not entirely true. In most parts of Canada, it’s easier to purchase a semi-auto rifle than it would be in say Connecticut. It IS much more difficult to purchase a handgun.
say in connecticut, connecticut has sensible laws, that is what we want. What about Indiana

To own a hand gun, from what I read you need training, where chapter one is probably do not leave your guns out unlocked so your kids can play with them. Also reports say he used a sawed off shot gun, I doubt those are legal, it is pretty hard to carry an old fashioned hunting rifle hidden in your jacket.

Sawed off rifles & shotguns are illegal in the US as well, unless you have a special permit. Very few have that.

I read that he wore a trench coat like the Columbine shooters. And that it was a pump action shot gun and a pistol.

Reading chapter one and doing it are two different things and do we know the guns weren’t locked up? And I am sure you will say that his dad would lose his permit. That’s great but it doesn’t stop the shooting.

when did they make DC a state. If you want to rank cities the most dangerous is St Louis
For the purposes of a discussion on firearms ownership, it might as well be since a resident of DC (like every state) can only buy a firearm from a dealer licensed in Washington DC.
Not simply drive to say Virginia or Maryland and purchase one, that would be illegal.

Do you? Did you actually READ the article, or just the headline? There was NOTHING in that article that supported the headline. There’s a magazine limit, but according to the article you linked, rifles don’t fall into the “restricted” category unless it’s a semi-automatic AND the barrel is shorter than 18.5” or an overall length under 26”. AR-15 barrels in the US range from 16-26”, so only the sub 18.5” versions would be “restricted” in Canada. Until recently, the “standard” length barrel for the AR-15 was 20”.

It should also be noted that bullets fired from an 18.5” AR-15 will actually have a higher velocity than those fired from a 16” barrel (assuming identical ammo).

Do you? Did you actually READ the article, or just the headline? There was NOTHING in that article that supported the headline. There’s a magazine limit, but according to the article you linked, rifles don’t fall into the “restricted” category unless it’s a semi-automatic AND the barrel is shorter than 18.5” or an overall length under 26”. AR-15 barrels in the US range from 16-26”, so only the sub 18.5” versions would be “restricted” in Canada. Until recently, the “standard” length barrel for the AR-15 was 20”.

It should also be noted that bullets fired from an 18.5” AR-15 will actually have a higher velocity than those fired from a 16” barrel (assuming identical ammo).

I did read the article. You said it was harder to get a semi-automatic rifle in Connecticut than Canada and that isn't true. Every time there is a school shooting there are a few posters that do nothing but say there is no need to discuss guns as part of the problem and like to use the NRA talking points to change the narrative. Your point simply isn't true.

Everyone needs to contact their congress members. Implore then to find causes and solutions and work in a bi-partisan manner. This is going to keep happening if we can’t figure out a way to all work together.

I did read the article. You said it was harder to get a semi-automatic rifle in Connecticut than Canada and that isn't true. Every time there is a school shooting there are a few posters that do nothing but say there is no need to discuss guns as part of the problem and like to use the NRA talking points to change the narrative. Your point simply isn't true.

OTOH, there are those that think guns are the only problem. That banning or limiting guns is going to fix this issue. It’s not.

The article says
“Non-restricted weapons are generally long rifles or shotguns used for hunting. Restricted and prohibited guns are weapons that meet the following criteria:

Prohibited weapons in Canada:

• Handguns will barrel lengths less than 106 mm in length
  • Handguns that fire 25 or 32 calibre cartridges
  • Rifles or shotguns less than 660 mm in length or with a barrel less than 457 mm in length
  • Automatic weapons”
Does Non Restricted mean the same thing up north or did the article misrepresent that?

The article says
“Non-restricted weapons are generally long rifles or shotguns used for hunting. Restricted and prohibited guns are weapons that meet the following criteria:

Prohibited weapons in Canada:

• Handguns will barrel lengths less than 106 mm in length
  • Handguns that fire 25 or 32 calibre cartridges
  • Rifles or shotguns less than 660 mm in length or with a barrel less than 457 mm in length
  • Automatic weapons”
Does Non Restricted mean the same thing up north or did the article misrepresent that?

Not sure what you are asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter