Kodak z740

I had the z740 and took it back. I know a lot of people do not like the Kodaks. I bought the P850 because it had the zoom and the image stabilizer. I would suggest taking it back if you can. I used the auto mode alot with that one. And if you don't max zoom it is ok. Otherwise you need a tripod or something to keep the camera still at 10x zoom.

I have spoke with Kodak and they seem to think it is a problem with the camera. I have no problem with my other digital cameras; heck, with my Canon I can walk and take a picture without the blurriness the Kodak has.

I have been looking at the Canon S2 IS. I am thinking of trying that one. I am going to have Kodak look at my camera and see if it is in fact a problem with the camera. If not, then I may end up getting the Canon S2 IS.

I've been trying to decide what camera to buy before I go to Disney and the Canon A620 and Kodak Z740 both look like good choices, the only thing I'm worried about is that neither has an anti-shake/stablizer. For anyone who has one of these cameras do you think it's fine with that? Or should I look into a camera with that feature?

Also, do the cameras us SD memory cards? I want to make sure I buy a camera that can use my Sandisk SD Ultra memory cards since I already have a few of them.

If you have either of this cameras, or know anything about them which would you suggest for someone who pretty much just wants the camera to take nice pictures on vacation and family/friend pictures for fun? I'm really not looking for the biggest and best camera out there, just something better than my 2MP one I have right now.

Thanks for any help!

I have an A620, and I think it's really great. It does take SD cards. I use it for what you stated--vacations and for fun. I'm not a serious photographer in any sense; I've only used simple point-and-shoot cameras. For me, I don't really see the need for image stabilizing, but everyone has a different preference. If you want that, a lot of people seem to like the Canon S2 IS and the newer S3 IS. They aren't terribly expensive, especially the S2 since the S3 has recently been released.

I have the A95, which was a predecessor of the 620, and while I do love it, and it takes excellent pictures, my one regret is that I didn't get a camera with IS. Sometimes, you just want to click off the flash and use available light for a more natural look.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider the S2 (the price keeps dropping, it's now hovering just over $300) or take a look at some of the smaller cameras by Casio or Panasonic/Lumix that come equipped with IS. For starters, check out the reviews at www.dpreview.com. Good luck!

Thanks everyone, I've looked at the S2 IS and it looks really nice but really complicated and big (how big is it compared to the A620?), I'm worried about it being a little more than I'd like to carry around at Disney. I'm still going to go in store and look at the S2 IS so I can see a little more about it. Anyone else got an opinion about any of the cameras I've posted about? Thanks!

Here. This will give you an idea of the size.

inhand1.jpg

FWIW: during my last trip to Disney, last summer, I saw a LOT of people with S2s. It's bigger than the 620 -- significantly -- but it's still smaller and more portable (and, I think, lighter) than a DSLR.

There is just no comparision between a Canon and a Kodak. Buy the Canon.

Anne

Have you considered the A700? It is 6MP, which should be plenty, and has a longer reach zoom (6X, 35-210 in 35mm terms) than the A620. Online pricing runs about $285 shipped; the S2-IS is going for about $330 shipped. Not sure how long you will be able to buy an S2-IS, though, as the S3 hit the market a couple weeks ago, so a new S2 will become hard to find, at some point. Personally, I'd go for the S2, due to stabilization and extended zoom range (36-432mm equivalent). It's worth the extra $45.

~YEKCIM

I recently bought the A610 and I took it with us to WDW 2 weeks ago. It's a great travel camera due to the size but DH and I really missed having a stronger zoom (I also have a Kodak DX6490 with 10x zoom that I left at home). Other than that I LOVE the camera but I'll be adding either the S2 or the S3 to my collection soon for the zoom and IS (and getting rid of the Kodak per DH :teeth: ). If you really want zoom I would suggest the S2 or S3 otherwise I'm sure you would be VERY happy with the A620 and it's a little more pocketable than the S2. I chose the A610 over the A620 because the extra megapixels weren't important to me and it was quite a bit cheaper than the A620 - I also needed a camera that I could get a Canon underwater housing for and Canon doesn't make one for the S2. Definitely go into a brick & mortar store and handle the cameras you're considering - that can sometimes make the decision for you.

For my daughter's 16th birthday she will be getting a new digital. Currently she has a Kodak CX7300 and has done very well with it. She's ready to move up to something a little better now. I'm trying to decide between the Kodak Z740 and the Z650. Does anyone have any opinions of either of these and which might be better for her? Thanks!

from Digital Camera HQ

Maybe I'm just being picky....

I bought this camera because it had good reviews, but after I got home and startedtaking pictures, I was not impressed. The auto focus is slow, especially when zooming in and out. And in my opinion a camera should take the picture as soon as you push the button, but this one has about a 1/2 second delay and by the time the camera takes the picture, the moment has passed—action pictures forget it. If I push the button the moment my daughter looks into the camera, the camera takes it after she's already looked away or blinks her eyes. I even used all the different settings to see if there was a difference, but I didn't notice any.

Another l little thing I don't like is that the lens cover comes off very easily, the slightest bump and it will fall off, plus it is a big lens, so it gets smudged quite easily by fingerprints or whatever—and then the smudges show on the pictures. So, you have to make sure the lens is wiped clean in order to get clear pictures.

Some good things that I do like about it is that it does take good pictures when the image is still and in focus and you happen to catch the right moment. It also feels comfortable in your hand. Other than that, I'm not impressed.

I'm taking it back to the store tomorrow.

and at the apparent $229 price, you can get a Canon A620 which will yield better result and faster AF with less shutter lag.

PS: the ISO 800 on the Kodaks are fake ISO 800, meaning it doesn't use the entire megapixel counts to get something at ISO 800, only a small portion of it so the max you'll be able to print is 4x6. Also remember that Kodak is a grainy/noisy camera starting at ISO 200.

ugadog99 said:
For my daughter's 16th birthday she will be getting a new digital. Currently she has a Kodak CX7300 and has done very well with it. She's ready to move up to something a little better now. I'm trying to decide between the Kodak Z740 and the Z650. Does anyone have any opinions of either of these and which might be better for her? Thanks!

I have a Z740 and rather like it for my purposes; it's got some nice features to play, and I consider it to be a lot of bang for the buck. It is on clearance at Target, btw, and they had been running an additional $15 off cameras (not sure if that's still current info :confused3 ).

Does anyone know where I can get a hand strap that will fit this camera?

I have a z740 and I really like it. The only thing I dislike is that it doesn't have image stability. I just received it for Christmas and the next camera I want to get is a dSLR.

That being said, I have been looking at getting a Canon IS S2. It (to me) is pretty much the same as my Kodak with the added benefit of IS.

Is there any reason I should get the Canon now (even though I am planning on getting a dSLR within a year?)

I would say that if you are happy with your camera now and are planning to get that dSLR soon that I would wait until you get your dSLR and not buy now. Especially since all you really want is the IS.

I think the money spend on the new camera could be better spend on accessories for the dSLR (lenses and whatnot) so that you had some more versatility with it. Ultimately this is up to you, but you did say that you are happy with camera now and are definately buying a dSLR so this would be a "temporary" camera between now and then.

I don't know what dSLR you were thinking of getting but if you were getting one that does not have IS built into the body, you might want to save the money you would have spent on Canon S2 into buying an IS lens.

Thanks.

I am driving DH crazy because I keep buying cameras (I do use them all though). It just seems as though I am never completely satisfied.

I am undecided on the dSLR I want; thinking either a Canon Rebel or a Nikon. I am still researching.

I have a tripod and a monopod, but have never taken either to WDW. How bad is it to take either? I may just take it once to each park (for Wishes and Illuminations).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter