Kodak z740

Dizholic

DVC Member
First off let me start by saying Thank You so much for starting this board. I have the Canon A70, and although it takes great day pictures, it stinks at everything else. I was just at WDW last week, and I was able to take some decent pictures of IllumiNations, but I must have shot about 20, and deleted most of them. At MNSSHP my camera was useless for Mickey's Boo-To-You Halloween Parade, and I didn't even try to take Happy HalloWishes. I have also tried to take a picture of the Castle at MK at night on several occasions, and it never came out. So I am looking to upgrade, and from my research so far it looks like one of the things I need is a decent optical zoom. I have been shopping around, and this Kodak Z740 keeps showing up all over. So I need an opinion from the experts. All I want is to take some decent night shots. Please tell me what you think. :earsgirl:

Dizholic said:
I have the Canon A70, I was able to take some decent pictures of IllumiNations, but I must have shot about 20, and deleted most of them. At MNSSHP my camera was useless for Mickey's Boo-To-You Halloween Parade, and I didn't even try to take Happy HalloWishes. I have also tried to take a picture of the Castle at MK at night on several occasions, and it never came out.

So I am looking to upgrade, and from my research so far it looks like one of the things I need is a decent optical zoom. I have been shopping around, and this Kodak Z740 keeps showing up all over. So I need an opinion from the experts. All I want is to take some decent night shots. Please tell me what you think. :earsgirl:

It's the camera technique that you need to upgrade, not the camera. You need either tripod or really steady hands for Illuminations, castle pics at night etc.

For any type of night-time parade, you'll need a camera with low-noise high-ISO capability such as Canon RebelXT (great up to ISO 1600), Fuji S9000 (great up to ISO 400) or Nikon D50 (great up to ISO 800).

Hope it helps.

As an addition, the 740 'high' ISO setting only works okay up to ISO 200 (great only up to ISO 80, but then again any digicam usually great at that level of ISO, which is really low), at ISO 400 it's only somewhat useable.

Sharpness, the Canon beats Kodak hands down.

Colour saturation, if you prefer very saturated colours as opposed to muted albeit natural, then Kodak is the answer for you.

I'm not sure how I did it, but I took some beautiful shots of IllumiNations from my balcony at BCV last June and then some great shots of the Wishes fireworks at MK later in the week. I have a very basic Koday Easyshare, no optical zoom. Might I just have turned off the flash both times and just gotten lucky?? Several photo types have asked how I managed such good shots with such a crappy camera!!! You know...I have liked the photos I have gotten using this camera, but miss the optical zoom and have issues with my memory card messages. So, I think I'll just upgrade within the Kodak line.

i have the Kodak Easyshare CX7530 and love it. I have had more expensive kodak cameras but the pictures never came out right. My camera is just the right size for my hands and it it take beautiful pictures.

i have opened it put in the batteries and stuff and now its charging
I wanted to set the date but hit the wrong button
how do i go back and reset it?
anyone know
i dont see anything in the book about it

thanks

I have no idea how you can reset the date. Have you tried going to the menu?

I've been thinking of upgrading my camera (I want more optical zoom) and this is the one that I have been looking at. Anyway, I'd love to hear what you think of the camera once you get used to using it.

Dznefreek's link tells it all. I just wanted to say that I got the z740 in July and I am in love with it! That 10x optical zoom is absolutely awesome! And I like the fact that it doesn't go into digital zoom mode automatically. Personally, I hate digital zoom.

I would love to hear any thoughts on this camera as I just got one off of Ebay for $200 shipped! I am so excited! I can't wait for it to get here!

I would love to know what size SD cards most people use with it. I have a spare 256 and I was going to pick a 512 up at Circuit City on Thanksgiving. Is that enough? Should I get a 1G card? I don't want to waste alot of battery deleting pics at WDW :teeth:

I am looking at getting a new digital camera and I have found good prices on the Kodak Z740 and Kodak Z7590 right now. But, they seem so similiar, I am not sure which I would be happier with! Does anyone have any experience with either of these cameras they can share? TIA :goodvibes

I just purchased the Z730! It is all so confusing to me. My first digital. I hope I can figure it out!

I know what you mean! I have a little HP that I am comfortable with but that one is pretty simple to operate. I think I have decided on the Z7590 as I like all the features but I see comments about the Cannon on this board, too, and I wonder if Kodak is the way to go? :confused3

mtblujeans said:
I am looking at getting a new digital camera and I have found good prices on the Kodak Z740 and Kodak Z7590 right now. But, they seem so similiar, I am not sure which I would be happier with! Does anyone have any experience with either of these cameras they can share? TIA :goodvibes

Go for the Z740 better deal for the price

I am thinking of buying the Z740 also. What kind of price did you find on this camera? I found it for 299 and a $75 rebate at office depot. Did you find a better price than that?

I found the Z740 in this week's Office Max ad. It is $299.99 with a free 512MB SD card. I hadn't looked at Office Depot!

I bought the Z740 a few weeks ago, and I love it. It is my first digital camera so I am still practicing with it. The pictures I took so far are great. Mine came with the printer, 399 at best buy. The printer prints great, but it is more expensive per print then going to a developer to print. The camera is very user friendly. I researched for weeks trying to find the best camera for what I could afford, and I am very pleased.

I hope this helps!
Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter