Kodak z740

I took pictures at an indoor childrens birthday party and decorated the christmas tree and they came out great, real clear and the colors were great. I am leaving for WDW today so I hope to get some great pictures!!

I got mine Z740 from Dell. My wife found a Dell coupon she was able to apply and a free shipping coupon so it came to 279 total with a docking station.

Princess Mckenna said:
I bought the Z740 a few weeks ago, and I love it. It is my first digital camera so I am still practicing with it. The pictures I took so far are great. Mine came with the printer, 399 at best buy. The printer prints great, but it is more expensive per print then going to a developer to print. The camera is very user friendly. I researched for weeks trying to find the best camera for what I could afford, and I am very pleased.

I hope this helps!
Karen
Karen, see this: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=971447 It may save yo some money.

bullpup12564 said:
I got mine Z740 from Dell. My wife found a Dell coupon she was able to apply and a free shipping coupon so it came to 279 total with a docking station.
That's a good suggestion.....I am going to check Dell out! Thanks! :goodvibes

ETA: Dell does has the Z740 for $254.15 and the Z7590 for $296.65. Now off to find discount coupon codes....

I currently have a Kodak CX6330. Its great and I have loved it for the last 2 years I have had it. I received the Z700 for Xmas. I like it, its better than what I currently have. Improved from 3.1mp to 4 and zoom from 3x to 5x and the scene settings.

Now my stepdad has a Z740 and I have played around with it for a while. It seems a little better yet 5mp and 10x zoom.

I am debating if I want to upgrade by exchanging my 700 to 740. There is one thing that I have found that I don't like about the 740. When looking through the viewfinder (not the LCD) its the electric one - fine - but it looks all grainy in the veiwfinder, the picture looks all orange (even though the final picture doesn't), and the words (when you switch settings and such) look all blurry through the viewfinder too.

This is one thing that truely gets on my nerves. I like the fact that the 700 doesn't have the EVF, but the traditional viewfinder that older cameras have.
Is there something going on with this that I don't know about? Someway to fix this where it looks more clear instead of so grainy and blurry?

So basically I want the 700 for the traditional view finder and I want the 740 for the fact it has the 10x zoom. Hubby asks me if I will really use the zoom all that much since I am only used to a 3x and going to a 5x would be an improvement.

I typically take family pictures, events and such and of course trips to Disney. What is everyone's expirence with the Zoom and does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, opinions and such? Kind of lost on which model to have.

PS - Is there a traditional time where companies put out new models? Wondering if I should hold off a month and see what new may come out.

Im looking at both of these cameras...any experience? I am currently using a Kodak DX6490 and I love it, but I want to upgrade a bit.

I have lots of battery questions more than anything else

the rechargeable battery...will it recharge on the dock I have been using for the 6490?

AA's....on Kodak's site it says not to use alkaline batteries. How much more are the non-alkalines?

Im going to WDW in 2 weeks and have been known to shoot 150-200+ pics per day (I shoot at the best quality, but in the 2:3 ratio) How many batteries will I be going through? I have plenty of SD cards and a laptop, so Im not worried about storage.

Is the z650 worth the extra $$?

thanks a bunch for any advice :)

Just use NiMH rechargeable batteries. They are relatively cheap (maybe about double the price of a Duracell) but you can re-charge it for at least 100 times and they actually last longer per charge than regular alkaline.

Kelly Grannell said:
Just use NiMH rechargeable batteries. They are relatively cheap (maybe about double the price of a Duracell) but you can re-charge it for at least 100 times and they actually last longer per charge than regular alkaline.
Do I need a seperate charger for these? Or can I use the dock from my other camera?

I honestly don't know. The best thing, however, to get a separate multi-channel charger (the tell-tale sign is: if it can charge 4 batteries, there will be 4 LED indicators, if it can charge 4 batteries but only with 2 LED indicators, that means it's a 2-channel charger -- most chargegrs are 2-channel)

BethanyF said:
Do I need a seperate charger for these? Or can I use the dock from my other camera?

Hey Bethany...let me try to help you a little bit...
Your dock is not compatible with the newer models without an adapter (runs about $14 - but most newer models come with the dock as part of the package, so if you're a dock person, you might as well take the leap). I've got the 6440 right now (but planning on upgrading to a new one before the next trip) and we both operate off the same dock...the newer dock is the series 3.

I've never been a fan of the dock because I use the NiMH's and our current does not charge them. It will only charge the Kodak NiMH pack that came with the camera (or at least mine does). I've never been able to figure this out. It is so much easier for me to just carry the camera, the batteries and the folding NiMH charger I got at Radio Shack than that whole dock mess. And you can hook the camera up directly to the computer, so once again, dock not needed.

I shoot probably about the same amount of pics as you a day (maybe a little more) and with my old 6440 I only had to change the battery set once a day. But the newer ones eat the batteries much faster than ours because the MP's are higher and the zoom is higher so I'd plan on two changes per day (maybe even three to be safe).

You can either compare the specs on the two at the Kodak site or try www.steves-digicams.com or www.dpreview.com.

If you have a Frys near you they always have deals on chargers and batteries.

Look at the one in the bottom left corner.

1469269_3473901.jpg

I dont think I have a Fry's near here, but at least looking at that I know the chargers arent terribly expensive.

As far as using the dock, the 6490 uses an LI-ion battery, so it was just easy for me to put the camera on the dock to charge. I never use the internal memory and have a card reader, so the dock has only been used for charging.

I never did get out today to buy a camera....Ill do it next weekend. Maybe someone will have a sale by then.

I received this camera for Christmas (I picked it out). I *thought* it had everything I wanted, but now I realize that I should have gotten a camera with anti-shake or image stabilization. Almost every picture I have taken ends up blurry, unless of course I use the action mode.

I have never had this problem before, so I am wondering if perhaps there is something wrong with my camera. One of my other cameras is a Canon A310. I took it to WDW last year and had no problem walking and taking a picture at the same time. The pictures were just fine. However, with this Kodak I have to be completely still and still the pictures are somewhat blurry.

I really wanted a camera with high zoom and not too much money. I spent under $300.00 for the Kodak. I really don't want to buy another camera (DH will kill me!)

Is anyone else having this problem with their Kodak???

MAYBE, there is something wrong with the Kodak. MAYBE there is something wrong with the way you hold the camera (did you hold it with one arm, stretch out, while the other hand juggling three hackey sacks while you walking backwards?)

I guess it's far too late to return the camera? I want to suggest Canon S2 IS, but that means spending more money.

If buying an SLR type camera, do the bodies have some type of IS in them...or is this something a special lens would take care of?

I have that camera model and I love it. Do you hold the button down half way and wait for the green light before taking the picture? I use the auto mode most of the time and have been very happy with the results.

I did not have that problem with my kodak 6440 or my kodak p850 (which does have image stabilization). I would recommend asking for help at www.dpreview.com under the kodak forum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter