Kodak z740

I took a tripod with me to the park once or twice. For the most part we did it on days that we weren't going to go real crazy about running around. We also did on a night where we went to the parks, then came back to the hotel to drop some stuff, go to dinner, and then go back to the park with the tripod. It was a little unwieldy but it wasn't that bad for the couple of days we did it.

I've heard, but haven't tried that some tripods might fit in the lockers and you drop it in there in the morning and pick it up later when you need it. That definately depends on the size of your tripod/monopod.

I can understand the buying of cameras. I keep wanting to buy stuff for my Rebel xt, but I know if I did I would be getting into big trouble. :)

DisneyGirl4188 said:
I am undecided on the dSLR I want; thinking either a Canon Rebel or a Nikon. I am still researching.

Canon is supposed to be announcing new cameras this Thursday. All of the big manufacturers should be making new releases in the next couple of months because of the big Photokina (SP?) show in September.

Kevin

I guess it depends how soon you are planning on buying a dSLR. I used to have a Fuji Finepix 6900, which sort of the same type of camera as the S2, I think they are referred to as bridge cameras in some circles.

I always thought our Fuji took nice pics, but, when compared to what our 300d takes they are nowhere near as good. That having been said, the 300d is a lot more expensive and you have the lenses to deal with, so I guess it is horses for courses.

I guess it is also the case that you might use the S2 once you have an dSLR as it's smaller size may be beneficial in certain circumstances.

The question of wasting money is always a tricky thing in as much as things go down in value as soon as you buy them, everything from cameras to cars generally speaking.

So, I would say if you want to buy it get it especially if you feel it would help your picture taking. Also, are you able to do more things with it like changing aperture and shutter for example? If so, then this would be good to give you practice at what this does to the picture. Obviously, if your Kodak does this then ignore the last sentence;)

I was speaking to someone who is going to an event Thursday run by Canon to find out what they are launching towards xmas, so, I guess some of the current models may take a price dive some time very soon, so I would certainly wait and see what comes of that.

The camera itself seems to get some good wrods written about it, but assume you've read enough reviews already.

Not sure if I've made any sense or helped but my twopenneth!
Kelly Grannell said:
don't buy S2 IS if you're buying a dSLR soon. You'll be wasting your money.
Kelly, do you mean because the OP will not use once she has bought a dSLR? Just wondered if you could clarify your remark?
Cheers.

I would say the same as Kelly. Don't spend the money. That $350 you can spend on lenses. Lenses can be expensive, but that is where you really want to spend your money. You can spend thousands on a great dSLR camera body, but if you have crappy lenses, then you'll have crappy pictures. If you already have a good camera that your happy with and are going to upgrade to the dSLR relatively soon, then spend the money on lenses.

I would offer some slightly different advice here. If you are planning on buying a DSLR but want a new camera for now I would suggest thinking in terms of what would make a good back up to the DSLR. I have had my DSLR for a couple of years now and am very happy with it but there are times when it is impractial or just to much of a headache (or is that backache ;)) to lug all that equipment around. So I am looking for something smaller (hopefully pocket sized) to use on those occasions.

The kind of things you will not want to compromise once you get used to a DSLR will be shutter speed, image noise at higher ISO and lense coverage. Probably in that order. So far I haven't found the perfect camera yet. The Fuji F30 seems to fit the bill in all areas except lens coverage. It only has a 3x zoom. But so long as I am not out to shoot wildlife I think I could live with that.

Good luck with your search.

Boss Hogg said:
Kelly, do you mean because the OP will not use once she has bought a dSLR? Just wondered if you could clarify your remark?
Cheers.

The way see it, the Kodak, although not ideal (according to the OP, which I happen to agree), is a very capable point and shoot. So if the OP requires point and shoot, the Kodak will already be there.

The S2 budget plus a bit more $$ will enable the OP to buy something like Canon 70-300 IS that can be used for the dSLR. Or if the OP doesn't buy Canon, that extra budget can go towards something like Pentax body with in-body Anti Shake and buy a long enough lens (Pentax K100D w/ Sigma 18-125 + Sigma 70-300 will run about $1,500 total)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter