July 28, 2007 - "Rome-ancing the Mouse Cruisers" -11 days! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOOD MORNING

maryann- thats fantasic- I wish him so much luck- what district??? the poor subs and student teachers in my school are so unhappy with the few jobs out there- Im so excited for all of you!!!:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

ok after spending 2 hours on the phone I am sending a letter of compliant

Sorry about all your problems Helen- I hope everything gets straighten out soon:hug:

I keep missing my English friends.. Im getting home from school later now because Im starting to pack up the classroom!!:woohoo: :woohoo: Night pond people!!

Sorry to keep missing you
Ok, I need a new pirate name......any suggestions??

3 more days to go............then let the games begin...packing, cleaning....:cloud9:
Kiera Thrice Knightly!"

I was sent this one and thought - how appropriate for our thread. Thank you so much as I know it takes someone special to be a teacher! :love: :grouphug:

What Do Teachers Make?

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher? He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those who can - do. Those who can't - teach."

To stress his point he said to another guest, "Your a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied,

"You want to know what I make?

(She paused for a second and then began...)

"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor.
I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an iPod, Game Cube or movie rental.....

You want to know what I make?"

(She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table)

I make kids wonder.
I make them question.
I make them criticize.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.
I teach them to write and then I make them write.
I make them read, read, read.
I make them show all their work in math.
I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.
I make my classroom a place where all my student feel safe.
I make my student stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag because we live in the United States of America.

Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.

(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.)

Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because the are ignorant...

You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

What do you make?

THERE IS MUCH TRUTH IN THIS STATEMENT. Please pass this on to every teacher you know.

Oooooh how exciting!

Tags!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Thank you

pixiedust:

Congrats - I saw the elastic comment and it made me laugh - you've got some :laughing: ones!

Oops, I forgot to order reels for me.:lmao:

Girl - you are just toooooooo busy! Slow down or you'll make yourself sick. :goodvibes:

Now - what's that count again? ;) Although - I'm giving you a break and a chance to ketchup remember? :rotfl2: I've been busy with DD's graduation and tomorrow - is schedule pickup for summer school, and book ordering along with tailoring for her school uniform. LOVERY! The fun never ends. I thought they were supposed to become more self-sufficient as they got older?

Same as us here charges for credit cards, also advise your credit card company about seven days before you travel that you are going and where and the likly debits. Security checks and card stops are high.

May I make a suggestion if someone goes through with the pocket guide? Can you put in a reminder line about the CC advance fee? I know that in all my haste - I will sooooo totally forget this. A reminder would be a great help! What do you think? :confused:

Just got great news!! DS just got a job teaching 8th grade Social Studies for next year! Yippee!!!!:cheer2: :teacher: :cheer2::teacher: :cheer2::teacher: :cheer2:

Maryann

CONGRATS!

From a thread about toliet paper

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Believe me its soooooo not true - althought they do say thats why younever shake hands with your left hand :rolleyes1

But what are you supposed to do if your a lefty?????? :rotfl2:

How about

Admiral Andrex Andrew

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Triple A - I tell you - Triple A -

Or my personal favorite AA+1 :lmao:

Does anyone want to attach a lime green ribbon on a backpack, strap, etc. Somewhere visible - for Saturday?

Usually it means you are from the disboards. We did this for one cruise and another cruise (I think it was the West Coast) we all had on green/lime green tshirts/tops, polo shirts - whatever clothing you had on.

Just a thought - I am sure some of us will cross paths on Saturday.

My sister checked them out and said the exchange rate wasn't too good. She went with Wells Fargo. I plan on going with Bank of America. I signed up online for the free checking account offer they are doing right now. I have a checking account at a small credit union and am nervous that their ATM card will work in Europe. I asked them and they were like huh? It does have PLUS service I think, so it should work but then the bank said I can only withdraw a small amount per day plus they said if it doesn't work, give them a call from Europe. So it just doesn't sound good. I think the BofA ATM card will be more handy plus I can order foreign currency through the checking account.

OK - I hve a Lime Green Baseball cap that I sometimes wear when I can find it. LOL the funny thing is that I bought it about 2 weeks before I ever learned about the DIS. I was in a store - saw it on clearance (and since that is my middle name - bought it) Now when I wear it - the kids just groan and :rolleyes: and say - Mommmmmm do you have to wear it?

The answer? YES! How else are my Dis friends supposed to recognize me. So, if I can find it for this trip - I will be wearing it. If not, I will put some kind of green ribbon or strap - perhaps on my camera? I usually carry that with me wherever I go.

OOOOPPPPS - boards going down - later all

Love all the photos being posted.

:surfweb:

eeyoorelvr10 great pics of the grad- you look great
the family resemblance between you and eldest DD is incredible!princess: princess:

Ooops!!

From The Times (London) today.........

Fountains of Rome may dry up after builders sever pipe

For 2000 years the Trevi Fountain in Rome has provided a constant influx of fresh water for one of the most fabled sites in the city.
The normally gushing Aqua Virgo has been reduced to a trickle due to damage to underground conduits caused by work on a suburban garage.
So as not to disappoint tourists city officials have managed to disguise the problem for two weeks by recycling the water in the fountain. Problem is that the fountain has to be drained and cleaned every two weeks so they have to find a way of refilling it.
The severing of the Aqua Virgo has highlighted the remarkable extent to which Rome depends on engineering from two milleniums ago. Its absence has also dried up fountains in the Villa Borghese Gardens, infront of the Prime Minister's residence and at the Pantheon.
The present Trevi fountain was completed in 1762. Around 3,000 euros a day is thrown into it. This is used to subsidise markets for the poor.

It's worked fine for 2000 years so I'm sure there'll be a solution found before we visit!Sending them some pixie dust anyway...pixiedust:

I wouldn't want to be the guy responsible for the damage- can you imagine owning up to that?? :rolleyes1

Ooops!!

From The Times (London) today.........

Fountains of Rome may dry up after builders sever pipe

For 2000 years the Trevi Fountain in Rome has provided a constant influx of fresh water for one of the most fabled sites in the city.
The normally gushing Aqua Virgo has been reduced to a trickle due to damage to underground conduits caused by work on a suburban garage.
So as not to disappoint tourists city officials have managed to disguise the problem for two weeks by recycling the water in the fountain. Problem is that the fountain has to be drained and cleaned every two weeks so they have to find a way of refilling it.
The severing of the Aqua Virgo has highlighted the remarkable extent to which Rome depends on engineering from two milleniums ago. Its absence has also dried up fountains in the Villa Borghese Gardens, infront of the Prime Minister's residence and at the Pantheon.
The present Trevi fountain was completed in 1762. Around 3,000 euros a day is thrown into it. This is used to subsidise markets for the poor.

It's worked fine for 2000 years so I'm sure there'll be a solution found before we visit!Sending them some pixie dust anyway...pixiedust:

I wouldn't want to be the guy responsible for the damage- can you imagine owning up to that?? :rolleyes1

I'm not so optimistic. I mean, where are they going to find a 2000 year old Roman engineer who knows how to fix it?

But that's ok, I'm sure they have a backup plan. They'll let the fountain go dry but pay kids to stand inside and throw coins at the tourists... :cool1:

Does anyone want to attach a lime green ribbon on a backpack, strap, etc. Somewhere visible - for Saturday?

Usually it means you are from the disboards. We did this for one cruise and another cruise (I think it was the West Coast) we all had on green/lime green tshirts/tops, polo shirts - whatever clothing you had on.

Just a thought - I am sure some of us will cross paths on Saturday.
HI Anna-!! Yes- count us in on wearing a lime green ribbon on our bag or attached to our shirt. I was going to suggest that we wear those beanie hats with the propeller on top....:upsidedow but I guess your idea is more age appropriate :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Lanyard order is in! :cheer2: :banana: :cool1:
I ordered 9 extra lanyards with reels in case someone shows up wanting one or we can give as gifts.
Soo excited... thanks once again Kayla

I was sent this one and thought - how appropriate for our thread. Thank you so much as I know it takes someone special to be a teacher! :love: :grouphug:

What Do Teachers Make?

Thanks Laura- this was beautiful- and well needed at this time of year when we are all tired, short tempered, hot, and counting down!!!!! I will look for your lime green hat..... does it have a propeller>>>:rotfl:

As I read the post trip reports, the common theme is not so much the excursions, or the food, or the activities- its the resounding joy that the DIS feel having traveled with their DIS friends, many of whom have never met. Throughout most posts you read over and over how much better the trip was because they had such great people to share the experiences with- how the after dinner times were more fun because there were more people to dance with, talk , to, share stories with etc. You can almost feel how much they miss each other already- I know Ive said this a thousand times, and I know I will say it a thousand times more- I am so happy to have met all of you- and I cant wait to meet all of you !!!:hug:

... And most importanly....:rotfl2: :rotfl2: I know I will never be without TP because one of my many new friends will have a mini roll in their purse or pocket-- what more could any DISer want !! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

We have a logo and design - if nobody else does it then sometime towards the end of the month I'll post a couple of PDF files that people will be able to print and iron on to shirts. Want to wait a bit to give the tag fairy a chance to finish her work ;)

How does that work??- not something I've tried before.....but happy to learn!
I'm completely lost- how can I print off something that can be ironed on to a shirt?
TIA for pointers :thumbsup2

Which university? How old is your daughter?:confused3

Hi JoAnn
How did your DD soccer weekend go? Hope she's closer to choosing a uni that she likes.:goodvibes
DD is almost 15. At 16 she can switch to a soccer programme which is linked with school timetable 50/50, but she is already in a really good school so don't think she can justify changing schools for soccer. So she is focussing on university as the time when she needs to choose her educational establishment based on her sport interests! For girls here who have grown up interested in soccer USA university is quite commonly a dream/goal.

Lanyard order is in! :cheer2: :banana: :cool1:
I ordered 9 extra lanyards with reels in case someone shows up wanting one or we can give as gifts.

Can't wait to see them
Thank you for your hard work :flower3:

Disneylover5/Lisa - how was beach weekend? :beach:
your son and his pals are lucky!

Have you made names for lanyards yet? If not can we drop our surname please and just stick to first names- seems to be popular choice.

If they are done already then no worries- we'll keep what we've got, and still be very grateful!! ;)

Kyla

Jeanne
Kyla

Jim
Kyla DH

jlawall

JoAnn Lawall
Jlawall

Ken Lawall
Jlawall

Tara Lawall
jlawall

Tracy Lawall
jlawall

Jessica Lawall
jlawall

Bill Hopf
jlawall

Alice Hopf
jlawall

Eeyorelvr10

Laura Elliott
Eeyorelvr10

Steve Elliott
Eeyorelvr10

Megan Elliott
Eeyorelvr10

April Elliott
Eeyorelvr10

Andrew Elliott
Eeyorelvr10

Yesenia Gomez
Eeyorelvr10

kidcoos3

Leslie Peterson
kidcoos3

Tom Peterson
kidcoos3

Katie
kidcoos3

Andy
kidcoos3

Cole
kidcoos3

Andrew DEREK UK

Andrew Porter
Andrew DEREK UK

Susan Porter
Andrew DEREK UK

Alice
Andrew DEREK UK

Stephen
Andrew DEREK UK

Salliep

Sallie Phelan
Salliep

Jimmy Phelan
Salliep

Carley
Salliep

Pixie Dust II

Harole Ann
Pixie Dust II

Garry
Pixie Dust II

AnnaS

Anna Sabella
AnnaS

Gaspare Sabella
AnnaS

Iggy
AnnaS

Ambro
AnnaS

Maria
AnnaS

disneymagic316

Wendy
disneymagic316

Russ- DH
disneymagic316

Matthew
disneymagic316

Andrew
disneymagic316

Amy
disneymagic316

Marilyn
disneymagic316

Santo
disneymagic316

MrsG

Maryann Graziano
MrsG

Tom Graziano
MrsG DH

MrsJobba

Helen
MrsJobba

David
MrsJobba DH

Lovebeast

Lynnise
Lovebeast

Diann
Lovebeast

Iowazipcode 8

disneylover5

Don
disneylover5

Lisa
disneylover5

Daniel
disneylover5

Annie
disneylover5

Gretchen
disneylover5

formerCper

Brian Wall
formerCper

Angie Wall
formerCper

Megan
formerCper

Madelynne
formerCper

10yrann

Mary Jo

Mary Jo
Mary Jo

Kelly
Mary Jo

Nick
Mary Jo

LynnTarrant

Sandaneli

Gerry Darmetko
Sandaneli

Sandra Darmetko
Sandaneli

JustJus

Justine
JustJus

Jon
JustJus

Charlie
JustJus

Amelia
JustJus

Aurora1959

Carrie Stone
Aurora1959

Jon Stone
Aurora1959

Tristan
Aurora1959

Garet
Aurora1959

caven

danfromca

Dan
Danfromca

Roan

Melissa

Maya

Kendra

Luke

Bellelinus

Julie
Bellelinus

Elizabeth
Bellelinus

Katherine
Bellelinus

Meredith
Bellelinus

DisneySpirit

Tom Monson
DisneySpirit

Lynn Monson
DisneySpirit

donioc

disneynutinlondon

Isabel
disneynutinlondon

Paul
disneynutinlondon

Joshua
disneynutinlondon

Ethan
disneynutinlondon

Benspock - Please advise size for your nametag I sent you a PM

Ben
Benspock

Rosalia
Benspock

Alex
Benspock

Blake
Benspock

Kyla

Jeanne
Kyla

Jim
Kyla DH

DisneySpirit

Tom Monson
DisneySpirit

Lynn Monson
DisneySpirit

donioc

disneynutinlondon

Isabel
disneynutinlondon

Paul
disneynutinlondon

Joshua
disneynutinlondon

Ethan
disneynutinlondon

Thank you :flower3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter