Julie, John and Joshua go to Florida: pre-trip - update post49

JulieSharp

Joshua will always be my 'little boy'
Hi,

Firstly I would like to explain I am a total novice not only at trip reports but also a newcomer at posting on the DIS, so I don't have high
expectations at the quality of this thread. :)
My husband (you know him as johnnysharp2), has over 6,000 posts to his credit but for various reasons, he will not like me for saying this, has decided to retire with honour from the DIS and thereby handed the reigns over to me..gulp! (he has helped me a bit with the photos).

I have read a few trip reports recently and feel like I would like to share our plans with you all.

Anyway here goes....this is a pre-trip report for our forthcoming holiday this April.
We have been to Florida I think 14 times now, our first holiday being our honeymoon in 1990, so long ago, we have been hooked ever since and been fortunate to have travelled all around the Sunshine State from as far apart as Sarasota to the Keys, from elegant Naples to vibrant Miami.
There are not many places we haven't been to.

Since our son was born he is now 12, our plans and ideas have changed as he has got older. Somehow now moving away from Orlando doesn't seem quite right.
Therefore we don't travel around the state as much as we used to, and to be honest in a way as much as we would like to. Pic from his 1st trip below:

joshuas1997a-1.jpg

Over recent years we have found our holidays, maybe Orlando in particular has become slightly over-familiar, I suppose there are many reasons for this, including perhaps the number of times we have now been.
As I am sure John (you didn't really believe his 'real name' was Johnny did you?) has explained our son Joshua has Autism , something that was diagnosed several years ago. He is also unable to talk.
Since then and has he has got older, our holidays have become more complicated and at times our lives more stressful. For many reasons we haven't been since August 2006 and have actually cancelled our last 2 planned trips.
Again, various reasons/complications..not least mine and Joshua's inablity to cope with the intense summer heat, and perhaps a feeling we needed a couple of years off.
As Josh gets older (and we do too!), it gets more difficult for us, even going out in the evening (when he is usually very tired) or trying to go out to a restauarant (when he can get stressed out), makes planning our holiday harder, or at least different than most of your average plans.

All that said, we are looking forward to our April holiday and with the following details in mind we hope it's a good one.
pic of Joshua from last holiday below:

P1010037.jpg

Who : Me, Julie, husband John and son Joshua (no ages specified!).

When : April 7th to 21st, just the 2 weeks this time. With my teaching job, Easter is the best time for us to go with summer now being too hot for us.
Yes the parks will be busy, but to be honest we don't mind. It's not like we spend every day at the parks because we just don't and never have done.
Joshua being such an early riser means when we do go to a park in the morning we are usually there for opening times.
To be honest some of the parks we feel at best are just a stroll around, Josh has never taken to MGM (Hollywood Studios) so we limit ourselves to an evening stroll.

Flights : Virgin Atlantic from Manchester, upgraded to Premium Economy both ways and have booked seats in the 'bubble'! Adds to the cost but just can't see going with Joshua in Economy again (at this point my husband would have explained why in great detail, me?.. I will leave that I think).
The portable DVD player we have, armed with 4 batteries, and I estimate around 50 DVDs should be enough to keep 'his lordship (Joshua not John!) happy we hope.

1472997.jpg

Accomodation: The hardest part, what we have found over the last few years especially when staying in villas is that Joshua (the little home boy) is often reluctant or too tired to go out later in the day, say after 5pm, happy to wind down, play in the pool or just watch DVD/videos (we bring quite a few DVDs with us for the flight/villa and a few US format tapes too). Just makes life easier for us and keeps him happy at all times. ;)
We like the freedom to able to relax on holiday, whether that be sitting out in the sun or playing with Josh in the pool.
However, we also feel that there is a need to stay at a 'resort' rather than just a villa.
Hence we have booked ourselves in at the Polynesian, requesting SAMOA view, for the first 4 nights, close to Magic Kingdom which is easily our favourite WDW park and with restaurants/shops and a bar on-site, something we have not experience for a very long time.
In itself that means if I am honest we really don't know how Joshua will react to staying in a hotel - it is years since we have done.
What we do know is the Poly looks fab and if Josh does settle there we know it will be a great first few days for us.

For the remaining 10 we are staying at the villa below at Terre Verde, which is a gated community just off Poinciana Boulevard. An area we are very familiar with, Publix nearby, restaurants and more importantly the Outback restaurant nearby too (we love to get take-out from there).
Not only that but it's a 'resort' with community pool, internet cafe, clubhouse and Tiki Bar.
The owner's are in the UK and are really lovely, helpful people.
So we feel we have everything covered, in the past when Joshua hasn't wanted to go out and to be honest if he doesn't then I don't either, sometimes John has gone out on his own - which he hates doing, well 'hates' is too strong a word. We have little social life at home, partly by choice, but John does like to dress up smart and go for a drink sometimes. Naturally staying at both the Poly and Terre Verde means he can do that without driving anywhere as there are bars on-site as it were at both locations.
Where possible we will endeavour to go out together later in the day as much as we can, but fact is some times Josh just won't want to and just loves to play in the pool and 'just play' before bedtime. :)

Having some kind of facilities on our doorstep throughout our stay will be something really good for us.
Terre Verde looks lovely, it is one of the few villa resorts we haven't actually driven around - we tried in 2006 and rightly they wouldn't let us in through security, that in itself means we feel more safe there.
They even have a grocery store and small beach, whilst we liked the likes of Indian Creek, TV does look more appropriate for our needs now, and the Clubhouse is literally a 2 minute walk from the villa.

Naturally we plan on using the car as little as possible the first few days, so we will concentrate on the Disney parks these days, especially MK.

*edited to remove Polynesian photos*

pv_ex_01.jpg

pv_po_01.jpg

Car Hire : We booked a minivan through Dollar, via usrentacar - just before the prices went sky high, phew! John does all the driving :drive: (and I should point out all the Publix shopping too).

chrysler20voyager20scoop20niot_net.jpg

Money : Having cancelled previous trips I guess we were lucky we have $3500 ready and waiting - so much shopping to do!
Thankfully we got our $$$ over a period of time when the rate was much better.

Park Tickets : We have 2 day Disney park hoppers left from our old Magic Your Way Tickets, with 'we think' 3 water park days left too.
Have added brand new 6 day MYW tickets to this too, all of these are non-expiry/hoppers.
Universal we bought 7 day passes from Dreams Unlimited, to be activated when we get there.
Sea World we qualify for discounted tickets through Joshua's disability so we will get these at the gate.

Plans : To be honest we have never planned more than just a few days in advance, we have never seen the point as with our son there has to be so much flexibility about what we do each day. To be honest we kind of like it that way.
What we have got planned is the following:

1) Arrive Tuesday 7th, stop at Publix briefly on way to Polynesian, unpack just 1 case and get Joshua something to eat as priority. Rest of evening perhaps have a look around the resort.
2) Wednesday 8th, Character Breakfast booked at Ohana's for 07:30. Followed by Magic Kingdom, via Monorail of course! Perhaps returning in the afternoon or maybe visiting another WDW park. (As an aside, lets hope John doesn't fall outside Pirates ride again on them wet cobblestones, he cracked his head on the floor was helped up by some concerned fellow guests, me and Joshua has walked ahead, all he was bothered about was scuffing up his designer trainers! Y3 Adidas ones apparently, why he needs 4 pairs I really don't know) :scratchin

3) Thursday 9th EPCOT, Josh has never been on Soarin' or Test track so we plan on doing both these this morning. Probably relax around the resort after that and plan a walk over to Grand Floridian too. Back to Magic Kingdom (if we get can Josh out of the room or pool, later in the day).

That's pretty much as far as it goes! We have an ADR on Monday the 13th for breakfast at Boma's and will probably wait till we get to the villa before starting our Universal adventures.
We are definitely going to Clearwater Beach one day, shopping trips to Mall At Millenia, Premium Outlets and others including a long awaited return to Pointe Orlando planned. John will be desperate to get stocked up on Tommy Bahama shirts ASAP, even though he has said he has at least 6 ready for the suitcase already! Spotted him eyeing up their website the other night and writing things down....hmmm
It's years since we visited Clearwater and St.Pete's, I am sure if we don't go early on the holiday then we probably won't bother.
We have pencilled in a drive there on Easter Sunday stopping off at the fab International Plaza mall at Tampa (must remind John to check it is open that day as we remember most of the malls in Orlando were closed on Easter Sunday back in 2005).

Tommy20Bahama20Logo.jpg

Most of our other 'plans' will pretty much be on the day, there are several things we have lined up, some bar John wants to visit at Celebration I think, a trip to Old Town maybe too (even though we hated it last time). :rolleyes:

All in all we have high expectations of this holiday. We feel it's all set up for us nicely, main thing as always is our son has a great time, after the last holiday dissapointment we really feel we deserve this one. I think in the past we may have been guilty about planning the 'perfect' holiday, with Joshua it's so difficult to expect everything to run smoothly, hence we have adopted a more relaxed attitude this time...well at least until we get there!
Hopefully the weather will be nice, and that we all have a great time - thanks for reading. :goodvibes

Well done on your first pre-trip report Julie, I'm sure John will be more than happy with your attempt ;)

Your plans sound wonderful. Personally I can't think of anything better to start your holiday than staying at the Poly, having dole whips and breakfast with Lilo & Stitch (though if you have time, you must try a Lapu Lapu while you are at the Poly)

Have a fab trip, and I hope that Joshua copes better with the more comfortable weather

I look forward to hearing all about it when you come back

Im glad you are taking over the reigns from john as he helped me so much with our villa accomadation without him I found it a complete mine field !!

I also totally relate to a lot of posts as my ds (7) is autistic too so we too dont do a rigid schedule of where we are going to be each day just wing it on how he is coping at the time.

A fab pre trip report.
Louise x

What a lovely pre-trip report, Julie.

I know I have said this to John before (though he'll always be Johnny to me ;) ) but Joshua is such a handsome boy :)

It sounds like your stay at the Poly as well as the villa will be the best of both worlds!

I hope the weather is lovely for you (and I am being rather selfish now, as this will mean the weather will be lovely for us, too :rotfl: )

Have lots of fun!

Great start Julie, John(he will always be Johnny to me too ;) ) will be very proud Im sure. I hope you all have a wonderful time and send my best to the family:grouphug:

Looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back:thumbsup2

Great pre trippy :thumbsup2 will look forward to the trip report in April

Fantastic start Julie, There are many of us who regard Johnny very highly around here so im sure your trippie will be well received !

Have a great trip :grouphug:

Fantastic start Julie, There are many of us who regard Johnny very highly around here so im sure your trippie will be well received !

Have a great trip :grouphug:

I aint a big poster on the Dis (mostly lurk) but agree with Natalie , i always enjoyed Johns posts and also regarded him highly.

All the best to you and your family and have a great trip.

Paul.

Hi Julie

Great pre-trip report. Your husband really helped a friend of mine who travelled to Orlando two weeks ago for the first time and was really stressing as her daughter has Aspergers and mild autism and does not do crowds well.

She was really stressed out about going through security and luckily Johnny had talked her through it so when her daughter got stressed and ran away from the security men she knew what to do and not panic. She said that the immigration and security people were great and let her daughter have her space so she could calm down. So thanks Johnny.

Hope you have a brilliant trip, have always wanted to stay at the Poly:thumbsup2

Tina

Lovely pre-trippie Jule, I love your style of writing.

Looking forward to hearing all about your trip. Hope you all have a fantastic trip.

Thanks for all the responses so far, and you have all said very kind things.

Natalie, Loiuse, Tina and Paul I will let John know about the compliments. I can see he has good friends and has helped a lot of people
over the years.

Tina your story is special and I am glad John helped you in his time on here.

Great first pre trip Julie. I hope you all have a fantastic trip in April:goodvibes

I hope you all have a lovely holiday - I think it will be very relaxing for the three of you going to the Poly for the start of your holiday.

Hi Julie - nice to see you posting and a great report :thumbsup2

. I can see he has good friends and has helped a lot of people over the years.

He has indeed - please say 'Hi' from me!

I hope that you have a magical trip and that Joshua enjoys his stay at the Poly.

I look forward to hearing all about it

I hope you have a lovely trip - you all deserve it.

Great pre-trip report Julie

I have read about your past disappointments and hope that this holiday is a magical time for all three of you.

I hope Joshua will enjoy the Poly, as it is such a wonderful resort. Maybe this will open new doors to you for future holidays if it all works out as you hope. Either way you have the luxury of a wonderful villa on a great estate to look forward to as well (sounds like it has everything you could hope for) - so hopefully if will be a win, win situation.

Can't wait to read all about it when you get back.

Tammy

Thank you everyone for the further responses. :)

Tammy you must have read my husbands posts I assume.

You will have to forgive me Tammy, I have just realised it was you and husband Kevin's Trip reports/website I was looking at last week.

Apologies for not realising earlier - your reports are fantastic and your daughters are both lovely.
You have a great time on your holidays I can see, and you are good friends with Debbie and Matt. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter