January 2014 Rental Car Deal Watch

I guess I didn't realize that booking a rental car is just a reservation that can be cancelled. One of the companies offered a discount if you paid "now". I am used to planes, once booked and for, that's it!

That's not actually true. When I book with JetBlue, with with points or cash, if the price for my flight goes down, I call them and they honor the lower price. They will put the money I "overpaid" in a travel bank that I can use on another flight within a year of your original flight. I'm not sure about other airlines, I only fly JetBlue.

I guess I didn't realize that booking a rental car is just a reservation that can be cancelled. One of the companies offered a discount if you paid "now". I am used to planes, once booked and for, that's it!

You do have to be careful that you don't book something that cannot be cancelled. A prepaid booking might be different than of you did not prepay. A booking through Hotwire is different than just going through National. There are ways to get a booking that you cannot change, but there are also ways to book (normal, through rental company, don't prepay, read all terms and conditions) where you can cancel or modify it.

That's not actually true. When I book with JetBlue, with with points or cash, if the price for my flight goes down, I call them and they honor the lower price. They will put the money I "overpaid" in a travel bank that I can use on another flight within a year of your original flight. I'm not sure about other airlines, I only fly JetBlue.

We do this on Southwest too. We change our flight to the cheaper price. Exact Same time/flight. You have 1 year to use the travel fund credit.

Budget and a few other companies have a "pay now" rate. If you wish to cancel that reservation you can but you pay a cancelation fee.

There is really no way to KNOW what prices are going to do. If you can get a great price on Priceline and promise not to look again (since you can't change it, as far as I know), go for it.

The important thing I think many of us forget to say is that "prices often go down as it gets closer, but if you truly want a rental car, reserve it when you get to a price you would/could pay, and then check on it and modify it as the price goes down". Don't ever just wait without booking, if you really do want a rental car. Book at a price you can handle, and hope you can modify it downwards. Doesn't help much now, but maybe for the future, and maybe for other people.

:thumbsup2
Amen to that!

I usually go through about 8-10 reservations during the 2 months before our trips!

Maybe rental rates increase when you search on weekends?
The week I want Jan 29 - Feb 5 is now $380 for a compact car from Alamo MCO - MCO! A week ago the rate was $170.

Feeling slightly panicky, I just booked / reserved my week from Alamo from the car care center to MCO for $178. We can Magical Express from the airport.

Booking a car from Alamo for a week starting tomorrow would be $195. Weird!

Lesson learned is book what I think is a good rate and keep checking.

We do this on Southwest too. We change our flight to the cheaper price. Exact Same time/flight. You have 1 year to use the travel fund credit.

This time JetBlue moved our flight to MCO this time from 2:38pm to 3:20pm to 4:20pm. I called them and they let me change our flight to 8:50am for no additional charges. I've never encountered this before so I was unaware it was customary. I'm a JetBlue fan for life :). (With travel bank money I paid $25 for DH flight and $37.50 for mine - the flight as of today costs $535 - I felt like I stole something)

Maybe rental rates increase when you search on weekends? The week I want Jan 29 - Feb 5 is now $380 for a compact car from Alamo MCO - MCO! A week ago the rate was $170. Feeling slightly panicky, I just booked / reserved my week from Alamo from the car care center to MCO for $178. We can Magical Express from the airport. Booking a car from Alamo for a week starting tomorrow would be $195. Weird! Lesson learned is book what I think is a good rate and keep checking.

When I started my hunt in September the price was $385 for a full size. I made it down to $145 by constantly searching. It pays to stay on top of it. The price is back to about $385 or so again...

Last year I booked a minivan with alamo for marathon weekend (7days) for $329. Currently I have an alamo reservation for same week plus an extra day for $309. While this is still high, it is slightly less than last year.

Marathon weekend is tripping us up too, appears many of the particpants are foregoing ME and renting a vehicle for quick getaway

usually we are flexible as to class of car and manage to grab a mid or full size for 8 nights most times we tend to visit Orlando in range of $125 up to $190 or so, but this trip had to book a minivan and found prices were crazy.

Admit to being semi nervous as to getting stuck with a dog booking via priceline (hertz) but rates were so high in early December I wound up following another's lead here & for 8 days wound up with total of $230, (a hundred less than best rate I had booked via national/KLM).

Even though it's a final transaction, I couldn't resist checking back here today to see if it is still a bargin:). Good luck to those still in the hunt.

Hi!
Staying at POR and WL jan 22-30, just now contemplating a rental. How much would a full size likely cost us? Do you have to pay for parking? Thanks!

Since Dec 26th I have rebooked my reservation with enterprise 5 times! The rates keep dropping but I want to make sure I have one reserved.

5 days started out at $230. I am now down to $165 with all fees. So IMO well worth my time to keep checking. I would love to get it down below $150 if possible.

It always pays to keep checking.... Just canceled and rebooked my one way rental from MCO to Port Canveral Budget Car Rental. My one day rental went from $84 with taxes and fees to $39 w/taxes and fees due to a 30% weekend discount at Florida locations. Hey that's $45 more for drinks on my Disney cruise! :beach:

It always pays to keep checking.... Just canceled and rebooked my one way rental from MCO to Port Canveral Budget Car Rental. My one day rental went from $84 with taxes and fees to $39 w/taxes and fees due to a 30% weekend discount at Florida locations. Hey that's $45 more for drinks on my Disney cruise! :beach:

I had 2 one way rentals MCO-PC & PC to MCO both 3 days with Budget.

I had previously reserved using RC mamma code X793206.

Rcv'd some great rates.

Today I went on a certain mouse saving website and found an coupon code for $15 off a 3 day rental.

The coupon wouldn't work for my MCO-PC rental.
It jacked the rates up before it game me anything off so I kept with my existing.

I went back into my existing reservation (PC-MCO) and Used coupon code MUWZ165 to get $15 off 3-day weekend rentals. Its now down an extra $15.
Which is just fine with me because that leg of the rental was $15 more.

Now both ways of our Rental are $75 & $77 for a 3 day one way rental. Pay now rates were even cheaper. I may go ahead and do that.

I still haven't been able to get an Alamo code to work. I'm sad because they've been the best we'd ever used during our June trip.

I'm just hoping I get out of town since JetBlue was grounded in Boston until 10am today

I think I missed the best rate right before Christmas, but wasn't sure of my travel plans yet. But, lesson learned, it is easy to cancel, next time I think I'll go ahead and book. I can always cancel. But I'm happy that they have slowly been going down. I booked on 1/1 for 8 days starting on 1/10 for $272 for a midsize. Now today I'm at $210 total for a fullsize. Like others have said the Alamo codes didn't work for my dates, but I was surprised to find out that the prices through Southwest Rapid Reward were the cheapest I found. Looked liked they were comparable to the prepay prices on the Alamo website. So not only do I get the best rate and am able to cancel I'll get rapid reward points :)

I think I missed the best rate right before Christmas, but wasn't sure of my travel plans yet. But, lesson learned, it is easy to cancel, next time I think I'll go ahead and book. I can always cancel. But I'm happy that they have slowly been going down. I booked on 1/1 for 8 days starting on 1/10 for $272 for a midsize. Now today I'm at $210 total for a fullsize. Like others have said the Alamo codes didn't work for my dates, but I was surprised to find out that the prices through Southwest Rapid Reward were the cheapest I found. Looked liked they were comparable to the prepay prices on the Alamo website. So not only do I get the best rate and am able to cancel I'll get rapid reward points :)

Go to Thrifty.com and use promo code 5C11E, prices dropped dramatically this morning!

Thrifty was still $245 total, thank you though. Hope prices continue to go down!

Wow, sorry about that. I checked at 6:30am and my rental from 01/11 - 01/18 was at about $162 for a full size. (I secured $145 right before Christmas) Good Luck!

Just modified my Dollar rental Jan 11-Jan 25 to $288. Full-size car with auto add promo code 765. That might be as good as it gets for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter