January 2012 Car Rentals

I was using the visa code 5027112 and the $35 coupon ND8598AAP

I crunched your numbers and your price is higher than mine and mine is for a longer time. The site is very quirky. If I change my pick up or drop off by 30 minutes on either side, the rate jumps up. As long as I keep my pick up at noon and drop off at 2:00PM my rate stays lower. Crazy. My rate is a little higher this morning, so I'm glad I grabbed it when I did. Since you are going 2 days less than I am, I would think your rate should be lower, but it's not. Maybe it's because I'm picking up on a Wednesday. There never seems to be any logic. All I would suggest is that folks stay away from half hours and try adjusting by 30 minutes sometimes to see if that will change the rate. We/you still have plenty of time for changes. My rate can't possibily go any lower. My base is $88.44 right now.

That half hour you are speaking of pushes you into an extra day rather than a couple of extra hours. Nothing quirky. The day you pick up a car has nothing to do with your rate, except in the case of a holiday. Rates change constantly depending on supply and demand.

That half hour you are speaking of pushes you into an extra day rather than a couple of extra hours. Nothing quirky. The day you pick up a car has nothing to do with your rate, except in the case of a holiday. Rates change constantly depending on supply and demand.

Normally I don't disagree with you, but it is indeed quirky.

For instance: All for pick up on 1/18 and drop off 1/28

Pick up at 12:00(noon) drop off at 2:00PM = base weekly rate = 88.44
Pick up at 11:30AM drop off at 1:30PM = base weekly rate = 122.21
Pick up at 1:00PM drop off at 3:00PM = base weekly rate = 88.44
Pick up at 1:30 PM drop off at 3:30PM = base weekly rate = 122.21

Do you see the quirkiness of it. Each time it is a full 2 hours and yes, I know that equals one day, but when I pick on the "hour" and drop off on the "hour" I get a lower rate. When I pick up on the 1/2 "hour" and drop off on the 1/2 "hour" I get a higher rate. Now that is strange....exact same amount of rental time...crazy. While crazy, I'm OK with it since I'm picking up at noon and dropping off at 2:00PM, works for me. Mostly my post is to tell people that they do need to check their times and that some times picking up on the 1/2 hour vs the hours does make a different.

Do you see the quirkiness of it. Each time it is a full 2 hours and yes, I know that equals one day, but when I pick on the "hour" and drop off on the "hour" I get a lower rate. When I pick up on the 1/2 "hour" and drop off on the 1/2 "hour" I get a higher rate. Now that is strange....exact same amount of rental time...crazy. While crazy, I'm OK with it since I'm picking up at noon and dropping off at 2:00PM, works for me. Mostly my post is to tell people that they do need to check their times and that some times picking up on the 1/2 hour vs the hours does make a different.

Don't forget to use Contract ID 5760339 (Carlson Travel).

gmeh will probably feel the need to say you shouldn't use it but I've used it many times and never had a problem.

Don't forget to use Contract ID 5760339 (Carlson Travel).

gmeh will probably feel the need to say you shouldn't use it but I've used it many times and never had a problem.

No actually I don't have a need to say that. You use any contract code you want. As long as it is accepted on your reservation, go for it.
Not sure what made you say that in the first place.

Yes, that is indeed quirky. I was trying to check it out, but, Alamo's reservation system is down for maintenance. Hopefully to get some of these Quirks out, like the problem people are having making a ressie on the 21st of Jan and having an outrageous rate when days on either side show much much lower ones.
I will check it out when the system comes back up and certainly mention it at work if they have not fixed the "kinks".

A charger is a full size, if you rented a full from Alamo and you don't see a charger on the row, ask for one, if there is one available, they will get it for you.

Just a FYI, they do put chargers on the regular Emerald aisle, not just the Exec. aisle.

Thanks! In that case, I will for sure keep the Alamo reservation if National doesn't drop in price to meet it.

Hi,
I ran those numbers with the times you gave me and they all come out to 86.79 base rate with a total rental of 147.55 for the time period you are going to be there. I used the rate code and coupon that you listed you used also. Looks like your rate fell a little too. :)

Should I expect our rental rate for Jan 21st to Jan 29th to go lower than $227 total? This is for a full size (we're visiting family too and need the trunk space for luggage). Thanks! The quote is from Dollar.

I'm down to $74.70 for 1/29 to 2/4 for a midsize. :cool1: I used my insiders number and coupon code AD4027JDO for $40 off.

Where is this coupon code from? Is it one that one needs the actual coupon in order to use? TIA

It is an Alamo electronic coupon, no paper required, but, you must be a member of Alamo's insider program to use it.

I have a question about the Costco ID - I read in the December car rental thread that you have to show a Costco card in order to use that code, and as a result you cannot check in at the kiosk. Does anyone know if this is true?

I looked at the carrentalsavers dot com website and it had a $35/week coupon for Alamo that is valid through 11/30/12. (I am going on 1/1 so I can't use the $40/week coupon that Alamo has).

By using this and my Insiders number, I was able to get our 8 day/7 night reservation for a Standard size (automatically upgrade to full size) for $105 (including all taxes). :cool1:

I originally started at $182 when I started booking right after Thanksgiving, so a savings of $77 so far.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

ok so sanford is more expensive?

I was beginning to think i lost my mind! I am paying A LOT at the moment :(

Has anyone gotten to the bottom of the mystery of why the rates are triple when picking up on the 21st? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter