January 2012 Car Rentals

I am looking for a full size. We're flying into Sanford though so will that make a big difference with the price dropping?

I hate to say it but I don't think the price is going to drop too much. It may drop another $50ish or so dollars, but I don't think much more than that. We found we could fly into Sanford for a bit cheaper than MCO, but we watched car rental prices for awhile and they were always high, so we decided against it. It didn't seem to matter whether you were a week out, a month out or a few months out; the rates were always high. It's all supply and demand, and my gut feeling is that since they don't carry as many cars there and a lot of people who fly into that airport rent a car to drive down to Orlando, they just don't have many sitting cars. So there's no need to discount them that low.

I hope I'm wrong though and you end up finding a great deal! Good Luck!!!

I hate to say it but I don't think the price is going to drop too much. It may drop another $50ish or so dollars, but I don't think much more than that. We found we could fly into Sanford for a bit cheaper than MCO, but we watched car rental prices for awhile and they were always high, so we decided against it. It didn't seem to matter whether you were a week out, a month out or a few months out; the rates were always high. It's all supply and demand, and my gut feeling is that since they don't carry as many cars there and a lot of people who fly into that airport rent a car to drive down to Orlando, they just don't have many sitting cars. So there's no need to discount them that low.

We got a great deal in September ($156 after taxes for 13 days) so I just "assumed" :headache: that I'd get one in January too. I'm not giving up hope, but I'm getting scared. lol... Thanks for the luck, I think I'll really need it!

The same thing seems to be true for Lakeland airport. I'm renting with Hertz and just can't get as good as a deal as I would if we were flying into MCO. There aren't as many companies to choose from for one thing. It's OK. Even though I've been hoping for lower rental car rates, I got such a good deal on airfare, I'm still coming out ahead. I'll still be checking right up until we leave though!

Alamo rates are crazy low right now! I just booked a Fullsize from Jan 23-31 for $90. I used a $40 off code (AD4027JDO) and my Insiders 10% discount.

Just wish that National would come in somewhere close... they always have better cars.

I am looking for a full size. We're flying into Sanford though so will that make a big difference with the price dropping?

We typically expect to pay about $100/week for a midsize from Alamo at MCO. Last time we used Sanford and ended up at about $150/week for a midsize from Enterprise. So, expect to pay a bit more.

I just got an email from Enterprise for 15% off in January. It's not much, but it might help you out.

Alamo rates are crazy low right now! I just booked a Fullsize from Jan 23-31 for $90. I used a $40 off code (AD4027JDO) and my Insiders 10% discount.

Just wish that National would come in somewhere close... they always have better cars.

Alamo and National are both expensive for 1/21 pickup dates.

Hertz is best thus far.

They share the same exact cars. When they come back from the prep area they are assigned where needed.

Need a car from AKL to Port Canaveral and drop there on 1/21. Also need a car from Canaveral to BLT and drop there on 1/28. Whats the best way to do it? Or am I better to take a shuttle?

Thanks,
Tony

Thanks for crunching my numbers. I checked them and got $152 for a full size with Alamo and my $170 full size (Exec. Aisle) with National, so would definitely stick with National for the extra $18. I'm an Executive Aisle member and need my 40 rental days a year to maintain the status. We love to choose from either the Emerald Aisle or the Executive Aisle. However, when Alamo is substantially lower, I have choosen them over national. Plus we have at least 4 weeks before we go, so who knows, it may go even lower, if that's possible.

WOW -- I guess it was possible -- my rate that was at $170 yesterday just dropped to $135!! that is the total after taxes and fees for an 11 (ELEVEN) day rental -- executive aisle with National! I think my weekly base rate was $88 before discounts. My dates re Jan. 18 @ noon to Jan. 28 @ 2:00PM.

What type of code is AD4027JDO? Thanks.

What type of code is AD4027JDO? Thanks.

It came in an Insiders email. Here's the verbage:

Get $40 off a weekly rental.

Don't delay, little snowflake — reserve by December 6, 2011, and save on a January trip. Valid for the rental of an Economy through Fullsize car from January 5 through February 6, 2012, with a minimum rental of five days. Available at participating locations in the US and Canada.

Some folks have researched and found that code to be tied to different offers in the past. They may recycle their coupon codes?

WOW -- I guess it was possible -- my rate that was at $170 yesterday just dropped to $135!! that is the total after taxes and fees for an 11 (ELEVEN) day rental -- executive aisle with National! I think my weekly base rate was $88 before discounts. My dates re Jan. 18 @ noon to Jan. 28 @ 2:00PM.

What codes are you using to get that rate? I'm exec aisle, too. I'm at about the same total but for a 9 day rental, not 11. We're going 1/23 to 1/31.

Also just booked a full size at carrentalsavers.com with Alamo for $96 all in! I will keep that unless National drops closer to the same rate.

What codes are you using to get that rate? I'm exec aisle, too. I'm at about the same total but for a 9 day rental, not 11. We're going 1/23 to 1/31.

Also just booked a full size at carrentalsavers.com with Alamo for $96 all in! I will keep that unless National drops closer to the same rate.

I was using the visa code 5027112 and the $35 coupon ND8598AAP

I crunched your numbers and your price is higher than mine and mine is for a longer time. The site is very quirky. If I change my pick up or drop off by 30 minutes on either side, the rate jumps up. As long as I keep my pick up at noon and drop off at 2:00PM my rate stays lower. Crazy. My rate is a little higher this morning, so I'm glad I grabbed it when I did. Since you are going 2 days less than I am, I would think your rate should be lower, but it's not. Maybe it's because I'm picking up on a Wednesday. There never seems to be any logic. All I would suggest is that folks stay away from half hours and try adjusting by 30 minutes sometimes to see if that will change the rate. We/you still have plenty of time for changes. My rate can't possibily go any lower. My base is $88.44 right now.

We typically expect to pay about $100/week for a midsize from Alamo at MCO. Last time we used Sanford and ended up at about $150/week for a midsize from Enterprise. So, expect to pay a bit more.

I just got an email from Enterprise for in January. It's not much, but it might help you out.

Thanks for the advice. I did try Enterprise, but that code didn't work and it was still more than I'm paying with Alamo. I'll just keep trying every day and hopefully it'll drop like in Sept.

I was using the visa code 5027112 and the $35 coupon ND8598AAP

I crunched your numbers and your price is higher than mine and mine is for a longer time. The site is very quirky. If I change my pick up or drop off by 30 minutes on either side, the rate jumps up. As long as I keep my pick up at noon and drop off at 2:00PM my rate stays lower. Crazy. My rate is a little higher this morning, so I'm glad I grabbed it when I did. Since you are going 2 days less than I am, I would think your rate should be lower, but it's not. Maybe it's because I'm picking up on a Wednesday. There never seems to be any logic. All I would suggest is that folks stay away from half hours and try adjusting by 30 minutes sometimes to see if that will change the rate. We/you still have plenty of time for changes. My rate can't possibily go any lower. My base is $88.44 right now.

If National doesn't drop closer to the rate I got at Alamo, I'll just keep the Alamo reservation for this trip. Even if I get an Impala from Alamo, it won't kill me for one trip. I do love my Exec aisle at National though. I always get a Charger there.

If National doesn't drop closer to the rate I got at Alamo, I'll just keep the Alamo reservation for this trip. Even if I get an Impala from Alamo, it won't kill me for one trip. I do love my Exec aisle at National though. I always get a Charger there.

A charger is a full size, if you rented a full from Alamo and you don't see a charger on the row, ask for one, if there is one available, they will get it for you.

Just a FYI, they do put chargers on the regular Emerald aisle, not just the Exec. aisle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter