Iwaju made it's debut today did you enjoy it?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
As you know today was the debut of the new Disney+ series Iwaju and what was everybody's thoughts on it? I think Iwaju might show promise and people might love the unique storyline of it and if it does well Iwaju might see a second season

I haven't watched it yet, but plan to this weekend for sure. I think it will be my Saturday morning cartoon. It looks pretty good.

Son and l enjoyed it... only negative --- some of it is difficult to understand. The accents are a bit heavy.

Started watching it yesterday, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. Given recent criticisms about creative decisions that relied too heavily on rehashing stories with the added dimension of haphazard DEI, Iwájú is much more authentic, and is a refreshing take on the Afrofuturism genre most of us would have been familiar with through Black Panther, with genuine storytelling that makes many nods to Nigeria and its people, cultures and the wider African continent like never before. More so, this is a co-production with a studio founded specifically to tell more authentic African stories with real African people at the heart of everything, helping to promote the rich cultural heritage and diversity of the continent, and to increase representation of black people in animation.
Son and l enjoyed it... only negative --- some of it is difficult to understand. The accents are a bit heavy.
It's all part of the authenticity of Iwájú. WDAS and Kugali took care to not Americanise every single element of the series, and that meant casting real Nigerians in every main role, so while the Nigerian accent can be hard to understand, it adds to the series' authenticity.

I think what Disney plans to do with Iwaju is create more unique animated shows and seeing how successful Iwaju is Kugali might replace Pixar as Disney's new animation partner. But I do think the idea of Iwaju is unique

Started watching it yesterday, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. Given recent criticisms about creative decisions that relied too heavily on rehashing stories with the added dimension of haphazard DEI, Iwájú is much more authentic, and is a refreshing take on the Afrofuturism genre most of us would have been familiar with through Black Panther, with genuine storytelling that makes many nods to Nigeria and its people, cultures and the wider African continent like never before. More so, this is a co-production with a studio founded specifically to tell more authentic African stories with real African people at the heart of everything, helping to promote the rich cultural heritage and diversity of the continent, and to increase representation of black people in animation.

It's all part of the authenticity of Iwájú. WDAS and Kugali took care to not Americanise every single element of the series, and that meant casting real Nigerians in every main role, so while the Nigerian accent can be hard to understand, it adds to the series' authenticity.

T0tally agree !!! 100%

Iwaju will most likely become the top watched animated series of Disney+ and score tons of viewers. I also found the Iwaju soundtrack which was released today and the score is very unique as well. My only question is when we shall see Iwaju merchandise released at Disney Store? I would LOVE a plushie of Otin the salamander

I think what Disney plans to do with Iwaju is create more unique animated shows and seeing how successful Iwaju is Kugali might replace Pixar as Disney's new animation partner. But I do think the idea of Iwaju is unique
They won't replace Pixar as they're a permanent part of Disney, but it'll at least boost the profile of Kugali and African talent, even though Disney+ has yet to be available in Nigeria. As for merch, it remains to be seen.

I just watched the first episode and I really liked it. I saw an interview where Disney had come to them and wanted to do an anthology series, but I definitely I like the interconnected plot/mystery much more. Good on Kugali for pushing for that, and good on Disney for trusting them. It's good stuff so far!

And, I've watched the rest of it- quite good I'd say! I thought the class issues presented were very interesting - they didn't shy away from it, did they? It was deep without being preachy an didn't get lost in the weeds. Great job all around!

Last edited:
We just started watching this last night--saw the first two episodes and only stopped because we'd had a long day and needed to get to sleep.

DH and I really enjoyed the show and I hope it's a huge hit. It's different, it's fun, it's engrossing, and the music is terrific.

And like @DodgerGirl said, I'd love a plush version of Otin! I'd especially like a smallish one I could hang on my backpack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter