It's gonna be an oven, but WE'RE GOING TO WDW in AUGUST!!! Final thoughts

Wow!! I don't know if I could do that...be thaaaat close and not go to the parks. That said I am trying to build in plenty of rest and pool time becuause it will be stupid hot.

You also don't live half an hour from Disneyland and go out there several times a month. What I like about WDW is the ability to immerse yourself in the "Disney bubble" completely. Sometimes the theme parks are just too tiring for me and I'm sure over Labor Day weekend it will be hot and crowded, I'm going to plan on evening activities like Jelly Rolls, YeeHaw Bob, and such. Then again I don't have a young DD.

You also don't live half an hour from Disneyland and go out there several times a month. What I like about WDW is the ability to immerse yourself in the "Disney bubble" completely. Sometimes the theme parks are just too tiring for me and I'm sure over Labor Day weekend it will be hot and crowded, I'm going to plan on evening activities like Jelly Rolls, YeeHaw Bob, and such. Then again I don't have a young DD.

Well yes you have a lot of good points there lol. You are right about the Disney Bubble for sure!! Jelly Rolls is something I would love to do...though not sure with my 11 year old DD I will get the chance on this next trip. But we are definitely going to see YeeHaw Bob too :))

Just got caught up and I'm following along!

Yay! Thanks for joining!

Catching up - sorry about the situation with your husband - that is not a fun place to be, but hopefully you and your family will be better off in the long run. My parents separated and eventually divorced a couple years ago, and though it was different since my brother and I are both grown and out of the house, it was still difficult. But I can say that we are all really better off now, and I hope that it will end up the same way for your family :grouphug:

Loving your plans though! I think you are awfully brave to go in August - but a girls trip away does sound like magic :D And you're staying at the Contemporary!!! Such a great place, and so close to everything :D

Your ADRs look fabulous - BOG and California Grill and Tiffins :D So cool!

Can't wait to read more, and I hope the trip planning is going well :)

I think you are awfully brave to go in August

Hey welcome and thanks for reading along!!!

Yeah...brave or...stupid lol..I know it will be crazy hot..hence the title...but hopefully will be ok if I build in lots of breaks. I am actually thinking of revisiting my whole plan for the time and trying reduce the amount I hope to accomplish each day...that way..it won't feel like a let down if it's too hot and we don't get to everything...and anything we do get to do that isn't planned will just seem like a bonus?

It's kinda hard to plan because my DD doesn't know about this trip..

Because of the situation with her dad...I just don't want her (or him) to know about it just yet. It is fun keeping it a surprise also...but then at the same time, at 11, she is getting to an age where she may like to be involved in the choosing of things...

So I have been sort of hinting at things like "someday IF we go to Disney...would you want to do this?" and hopefully that will at least make it seem like she had some say in things...

Not too much else going on...I think I have about 4 weeks until FP+ day...so still a bit of time to tinker with plans etc...I am curious to see how hard it will be to get the FP+ for the new Avatar rides at AK. We have two days planned for AK and really the only two "must do's" for us there are the safari's and hopefully the new Navi River ride. I'm worried that with my motion sickness issues we shouldn't to the other Avatar ride anyway...Soarin' is about all I can handle (barely) for that kind of thing...

In other news, we are moved into our new house that is my own. I think this is a big step to "moving on" thought it's kind of still a weird limbo because we don't have a final settlement and agreement in terms of kids or finances yet. But I do hope that isn't too far off so I can really try to get on with my life.

That's about it for now!

I am curious to see how hard it will be to get the FP+ for the new Avatar rides at AK. We have two days planned for AK and really the only two "must do's" for us there are the safari's and hopefully the new Navi River ride. I'm worried that with my motion sickness issues we shouldn't to the other Avatar ride anyway...Soarin' is about all I can handle (barely) for that kind of thing...

I'm also curious how much trouble we'll have with this. I'm in the same boat with my FP priorities for AK, but I think my fiance will have to check out the flight of passage ride. I'm not risking it!

In other news, we are moved into our new house that is my own.

Congratulations! Very exciting!!

So with a few weeks to go...I think I will start laying out my daily plans and try to pin down my wish list for FP+ so I will be ready when that day arrives! Also, I want to see if my plans are too ambitious for the 100 degree heat (for us anyway...as we move pretty slowly when it's that hot...Canadian and all...)

So here goes.

Arrival day - Wednesday August 9th

Approx 5am - Wake Up! Yikes!! At least knowing it is WDW we are going to should make that a little easier to take. Quick breakie and out the door by 5:30am I hope

8:00 am-11:00am - flight from Toronto to MCO!!

With us landing at 11am..what's a reasonable time to assume we would make it to the CR? I imagine we will be checking bags...as there is no way I can manage a 10 day trip without at least one checked bag...

So I'm guessing...get bags by noon...maybe grab a snack at the airport if there are good options? Or do we starve and wait to get to the CR?

ME by...what...12:30pm?? Is it reasonable to say we might be at the CR at 1:30pm or so??

There isn't really any rush, as I am not planning on using a park day for this day. But of course...you just wanna get there anyway...!

So assuming we get there..here's hoping our room is ready so that we can get settled. If not, I guess we will find somewhere to leave our bags and explore the resort. It would be really nice to be able to get our room and then spend some time at the pool....I guess if we are super organized and put bathing suits in our carry on we could do that even if the room isn't ready...we shall see.

I am training for a half marathon in the fall, so while it is going to be crazy hot and I will be on vacay..I also can't be a complete sloth in August so...I will have to try to get in a few 5K runs at least while we are there. If it's really too hard to run in the heat...I may have to look into if there is a treadmill somewhere...ugh...hate that idea...I figure with all the walking we will do at Disney I don't have to train that much...but I have to do something.

So...anyway...hopefully there will be time for all that...exploring...running...pool lounging...on this day.

7:00pm - ADR for Cali Grill - I am so excited about this one. And right at our hotel. And of course hoping to enjoy the fireworks from here. To be honest...as much as I loved Wishes and other shows...I really hate the idea of the end of night crowds and trying to get back to your resort with everyone else...so for me...watching fireworks from a nice patio without too many people...is just perfect. I wish I could always do it this way. I know...I could if I ever planned trips way out enough to get all those dessert parties and such (oh and if I was made of money lol) So. Anyway. Excited about this. And of course. The food!!! I'm sure sometime before that I will even figure out what I plan to order lol.

After that, I hope to get to bed at a reasonable hour because it will have been an early morning...and of course the next one will be too!!

Your plans for the first day sound good. Coming from a US airport, I usually plan to arrive at my resort two hours after the plane lands, but then again I don't have to go to the baggage carousel before going to ME. However we are ALWAYS the last people off the plane, and then we have to wait forever for Fran's scooter. I think 1:30 is a reasonable arrival time.

Can you not use the direct delivery of bags to your room via ME when arriving from Canada?

You can definitely leave the bags with Bell Services once you check in, and you don't even have to pack the suits in the carry on. You can just grab a pool bag out of your suitcase before you check it.

Do you have a US cell phone plan option? When the room is ready they will text you that it's ready. I think they might send an email as well, but that will save you having to check back at the front desk to see if the room is ready.

CA Grill should be a perfect way to start the trip!

Gonna post this novella and then next post get down to business with what's planned so far...in case anyone is reading....otherwise...I'll just be here talking to myself!

LOL that's how I feel with my PTR's too.

Listen when my son was 6ish, my ex pretty much did what yours did. That year of recovery was absolutely awful. We as a country had also slid into a recession, but I work in mental health so when that stuff happens, job security for me. Anyway, so this was May that it happened and the following May I took my son on a trip to Disney where we stayed in AKL savannah view room, had the quick service dining plan, and we got to escape reality for a bit too. I had saved $700 to spend on our vacation and ended up only spending about $400. Taking him on that vacation meant the world to me. The hardest part, however, was not being able to share his moments with anyone but myself. That was the part I did not count on and that was the part that hurt the most. If you've never done Disney just you two girls, you might struggle with that. However, I understand wanting to escape reality by going to WDW, because that was part of why I wanted to go, but most important, I proved to myself and my son that I COULD do this and even as a single mom I'd make magic happen. 10 years later, I remarried, my ex was sued to have his parental rights severed, and our courts granted my husband paternity. So, in the end, our story worked out. I know it can't work out like that for everyone, but keep your chin up, you'll muddle through this mess one day at a time.

How does your DS have a GF in Montreal? My husband is from there and we visit Montreal often. Are y'all Canadian?

ETA: I'm retarded. Just saw your post about flying out of Toronto, so I guess, yes, y'all are Canadian.

2/3 of us are Canadian too, but we live here in Florida. I'm the only one without the Canadian passport

I am training for a half marathon in the fall, so while it is going to be crazy hot and I will be on vacay..I also can't be a complete sloth in August so...I will have to try to get in a few 5K runs at least while we are there. If it's really too hard to run in the heat...I may have to look into if there is a treadmill somewhere...ugh...hate that idea...I figure with all the walking we will do at Disney I don't have to train that much...but I have to do something.

There's a gym at the CR so you should be fine. However, please for the love of all things, do NOT come from Canada and run here during the afternoon. Go out FIRST thing in the morning or at dusk. The paths are well lit and hey, how cool would it be to run in front of MK first thing in the morning before anyone wakes up?

Hey that's great! I will head over and check out your PTR!

I'm worried about melting too. I am trying to build in lots of rest and pool time, but it's hard because you still want to try to see and do everything. I may have to lower my expectations of what can get done in a day.

I live here in Florida. August is brutal. Your best bet is what you've planned, get up and get out early. When that sun starts to bear down at 1pm, get out. Go back to the resort. Wait until after the 4pm rain and then head back. Trying to do a park between the hours of 1-5pm will exhaust you imo. I've done it before when I was just going for a day trip, but trying to do it on an extended trip nearly kills me and I used to this heat.

I've also been tossing around the idea of trying to do the "4 parks in a day" thing because since I've never had park hopper before, this has never been an option.

I just can't say this is a good idea. The heat will slow you down. I would say 2 is a better option. Get out early to the first one (especially if it has EMH in the AM) and then leave, go back to resort, wait for rain, and then hit park #2.

I've never understood the appeal of the 4 parks in one day thing. I've done 3 in a day before and even now I'm not sure why lol

Can you not use the direct delivery of bags to your room via ME when arriving from Canada?

When we went in 2015 we couldn't. Not sure about now. I will certainly look into it...but usually these things don't apply to us Canucks lol

Do you have a US cell phone plan option?

I usually get some kind of phone plan for travelling to the US on my regular phone. Whether or not they will text to a Canadian phone I'm not sure. I guess I will have to ask about that too.

LOL that's how I feel with my PTR's too.

Thanks for reading! And I will go check out your PTR too.

The hardest part, however, was not being able to share his moments with anyone but myself. That was the part I did not count on and that was the part that hurt the most. If you've never done Disney just you two girls, you might struggle with that.

Yes I do worry a bit about this. Though I did do a trip with just me and my DD in 2015, but that was before splitting with my husband so it's a bit different now. But the good news is that I have at least one DisMeet planned and we will be pretty busy so hopefully the blues won't set in. At least being AT WDW is usually enough to keep that at bay.

How does your DS have a GF in Montreal? My husband is from there and we visit Montreal often. Are y'all Canadian?

Funny because yes, we are Canadian, but even then, Montreal is a good 4-5 hour drive from Toronto where we live. I wish his GF lived here. But he actually met her last Christmas in Florida lol (not WDW but South Florida...) but where there are a TON of us Canadians in the winter. But luckily for them...her family has some family near Toronto so they come down once in a while too. But also. Facetime lol I think that is the only reason that relationship has lasted as long as it has already. They face time literally every damn day.

However, please for the love of all things, do NOT come from Canada and run here during the afternoon.

OK thanks for the tip as I don't want to die lol. I will either try to get my outside run in early in the am, or the evening...or just use the dreadmill in the gym. Glad there is one at least, even though I hate that.

I've done it before when I was just going for a day trip, but trying to do it on an extended trip nearly kills me and I used to this heat.

Yeah, I think my expectations may need to be further lowered. I want to relax too, even though you are paying to be at Disney...there is something to be said for not coming back wiped out from vacation.

I've never understood the appeal of the 4 parks in one day thing. I've done 3 in a day before and even now I'm not sure why lol

I don't know...the challenge seems fun, but you are probably right...just two parks might be as much as we can handle in the August heat. I will probably save that for another trip maybe when the kids are older and it isn't so hot.

Yeah, your travel day plans seem reasonable. I'd definitely pack a snack in my carry on bag, just in case you are delayed, esp since I'm guessing they won't feed you at all on the flight. And I bet the pool will be very appealing that first afternoon. And I agree that running outside in the afternoon would be a very bad idea! If you do get restless, you can always resort hop, or head to Disney Springs.

That's pretty impressive that your ds has managed a long-distance relationship this long, but I guess facetime makes it a lot more possible than when we were teenagers!

Approx 5am - Wake Up! Yikes!
You'll be horrified to know that I get up at 5am Monday through Friday :laughing:

With us landing at 11am..what's a reasonable time to assume we would make it to the CR?
The last time I took ME, my flight landed a little before 11 and I was in my room by noon. Mind you, this is not my typical experience, but perhaps reason to have a little hope! ;)

There isn't really any rush, as I am not planning on using a park day for this day. But of course...you just wanna get there anyway...!
Yes! I know that feeling well! :thumbsup2

I am training for a half marathon in the fall
Good for you! I'm a runner myself but I typically don't run much over 3-4 miles, so major kudos to you! :thumbsup2 I'm not sure I'd ever convince myself to do a half. But ya never know... some of my fellow Disers have really inspired me to at least think about it ;)

Hmmm, tough call on the ADR. Good thinking to keep it for now sine you're absolutely right that it's much easier to cancel than to get the ADR you want later! In terms of cooling off from the August heat, a TS could be beneficial, but QS will definitely save you time. I think I might be inclined toward QS, but it's a tough decision.

We keep talking about doing 4 parks in a day, but so far we haven't braved the task! I agree that it would make for a lot of transportation time between parks. Express bus might be worth it in that case.

In August, the amount of time spent on transit is almost a treat. I started hopping buses randomly one afternoon because of the A/C. Probably could have covered four parks easily given how many resorts I covered.

I just can't say this is a good idea. The heat will slow you down. I would say 2 is a better option. Get out early to the first one (especially if it has EMH in the AM) and then leave, go back to resort, wait for rain, and then hit park #2.

Did it involve booze or food by chance? I've done 3 parks only because I did AK in the morning, Magic Kingdom in the afternoon and Epcot due to a strange craving for grand marnier orange slushee in the evening:rotfl2:

I'd definitely pack a snack in my carry on bag

For sure, since you are right, they give you squat on a flight of 2 1/2 hours, so snacks for sure. I'm just wondering if there are any restaurants worth grabbing something at at MCO or if it's better to wait until we get to the CR. Just don't want to get hangry. I guess we will just see how long it takes to get our bags. I know to you Americans it probably sounds lame, but I saw that there is Chick-Fil-a in the airport and we don't have that in Canada so...even that is tempting to me...

but I guess facetime makes it a lot more possible than when we were teenagers!

Right? No long distance fees so it doesn't bother me how much they face time lol. I never could or would have even tried to sustain a long distance relationship back then!

You'll be horrified to know that I get up at 5am Monday through Friday :laughing:

That is indeed very horrifying!! Most mornings I get up at 7:00 am and sometimes even that is tough!

But ya never know... some of my fellow Disers have really inspired me to at least think about it ;)

Yeah the Dis makes me want to do some RunDisney to be sure, but because I'd want to stop at all the characters...I would take forever for that lol. I think I do want to do it though at Disney eventually. Actually the one I'm training for is ALMOST as fun as a Disney run - it's the Rock N Roll half in Las Vegas. So no characters, but they close down the strip at night and they have bands playing along the route. I'm still nervous about that distance but hopefully by November I will be ready.

Probably could have covered four parks easily given how many resorts I covered.

I hadn't thought about it that way - ie: the bus rides being a respite from the heat...that is something to consider!

Epcot due to a strange craving for grand marnier orange slushee in the evening:rotfl2:

Well that just might be worth a trip to Epcot for lol. Actually there are a lot of food and drinks at Epcot that would make it worth a special trip lol

Yeah the Dis makes me want to do some RunDisney to be sure, but because I'd want to stop at all the characters...I would take forever for that lol. I think I do want to do it though at Disney eventually. Actually the one I'm training for is ALMOST as fun as a Disney run - it's the Rock N Roll half in Las Vegas. So no characters, but they close down the strip at night and they have bands playing along the route. I'm still nervous about that distance but hopefully by November I will be ready.
That sounds like a blast, actually! Not "quite" as much fun as a runDisney event, but it's up there at least!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter