Irrational fears, what is yours?

Elevators! Got stuck in one as a child. My fear of elevators was so bad that I actually would have almost weekly nightmares of being stuck in one. But then we moved into a condo and I started a job that was on the 9th floor, so I've gotten a lot of practice,lol That said, this past week I was riding the elevator up to my office as I've done countless times when it STOPPED. I re-scanned my card and it very slooooooooowly went up to the 9th floor. I really thought I was going to get stuck and I thought to myself "this is just like all of my nightmares". Certainly gave me an anxiety attack!

I had an MRI early last summer. My head wasn't even entirely inside, just up to my nose or so. The technicians were in a booth behind me. After maybe five minutes, there were loud repeated beeps and other weird noises. After a few minutes of that I started wondering if something was seriously wrong, like the hospital went on emergency lockdown or there was a fire close by. How do I get out of here? Thankfully it stopped after a few more minutes, but the whole situation had me shaken for a short while.

Sorry to hear that you need to go thru that frequently.

The machines does make a lot of strange noises, could it have been that?

We have had 3 in our house over the last 12 years we have lived here. All rat snakes, not poisonous, but still......they are SNAKES! One got in my kitchen! The other 2 were in the basement.

I too suggested burning the house down and/or moving. DH thought it was funny......I suggested we get marriage counseling because I was not having that reaction to my pain!
:faint: I'll reiterate what I said upthread - your mistake there was discussing it with your DH instead of just going ahead and burning it down.
Boats. Hate them. All sizes. I won't even get on a cruise ship. I'll get on a ride boat at Disneyland or Disney World, but that's about it. I'm deathly afraid of the boat sinking and me and my family dying a horrible death. Any little wiggle or movement on the boat sets me off into freak out mode. Sheer panic. I'm able to hide it pretty well, so you can't really tell that I'm 2 seconds away from crying.
I never ever want to go on a cruise.
I never ever want to go on 1 of those parasailing things.

On our honeymoon, we took a ferry somewhere. Passenger only ferry. The motion dampening system went out and the swells were 10-15' high. It was 3 hr of a barf fest. Like being on a roller coaster that whole time and you couldn't get off. Horrible experience.

Another time, went out on a very quiet bay w/extended family for a late evening boat ride. Boat was small, 7 of us were on it. Watching them try to get that boat off of their trailer was just torture. Their truck almost went back all the way in the water...like underwater. It was nuts. I was a wreck for that whole hour-long boat ride.

In high school, we went on a family vacation in a tropical location. Sister & I went parasailing. The owners of the boat thought it would be funny to dunk me in the water while they reeled me back into the boat. Just as I went underwater, I breathed in, so I got a lung full of sea water. It was awful. I coughed it up all over the boat operator. He got mad at me. I yelled at him for dunking me. I held on for dear life the rest of the way back. Never again.
:scared: This is not irrational in my books. I've vacationed a lot of places and we've done practically every touristy "soft-adventure" activity known to man. The only one that truly scared me was parasailing. Believe me when I say there's not a lot to do up there except contemplate your untimely demise if the cable happens to snap. :sad:

The machines does make a lot of strange noises, could it have been that?

Probably. The MRI tech said there would be noise, and I had earplugs, but I still wasn't expecting the large variety of strange noises. It was probably like 10 minutes, but seemed like an eternity.

I have a fear of snakes. All snakes. Poisonous snakes. "Harmless" snakes. Pet snakes. Snakes in zoos. Snakes dead in the road. Snakes in magazines. Cartoon snakes.
I ran over a snake the other day, it was already dead in the road, but I still felt good about it.

To me, there's no such thing as a "Harmless" snake. I'm petrified of all of them. I go bike riding every morning, and the other day I saw a dead snake in the road. I pedal W-A-Y around it. DH got bitten by a rattlesnake last year, and I must admit I'm really glad I wasn't there.

Spiders

Also, my parents live on a high floor in a condo with open air hallways. When my kids were babies, I was convinced I would trip walking down the hallway and accidentally throw one of them over the balcony.

:faint: I'll reiterate what I said upthread - your mistake there was discussing it with your DH instead of just going ahead and burning it down.

:scared: This is not irrational in my books. I've vacationed a lot of places and we've done practically every touristy "soft-adventure" activity known to man. The only one that truly scared me was parasailing. Believe me when I say there's not a lot to do up there except contemplate your untimely demise if the cable happens to snap. :sad:

Im afraid of heights but parasailing is where I was irrationally not afraid. I told myself if I fell, it was just water. :) It actually was very peaceful up there.

Dark water and sunken shipwrecks. Although I find it fascinating (and I love the movie), seeing pics of the Titanic make me panic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter