Irrational fears, what is yours?

Mermaid02

DIS Veteran
I have a fear of snakes. All snakes. Poisonous snakes. "Harmless" snakes. Pet snakes. Snakes in zoos. Snakes dead in the road. Snakes in magazines. Cartoon snakes.
I ran over a snake the other day, it was already dead in the road, but I still felt good about it.

Fire for one. I will not/cannot light a match and quite frankly am not even comfortable using one of those lighters either.

I do not light candles on cakes or anything of that nature.

I can next next to a fireplace or use a gas grill with electric ignition, but I want nothing to do with starting a fire myself.

Last edited:
I have a fear of snakes. All snakes. Poisonous snakes. "Harmless" snakes. Pet snakes. Snakes in zoos. Snakes dead in the road. Snakes in magazines. Cartoon snakes.

Me too! A couple of months ago, I was home alone and walked right by a snake. In. My. House. IN. MY. HOUSE!! (Granted it was about the size of a very large earth worm, but still! It was In. My. House!) I very quickly jumped up on the couch and kept it within eyesight (because once you lose sight of it, you will never feel safe again until it is found and dealt with). Luckily, it was slow moving. I called DH (he works about 5 min from the house). And he had the nerve not to answer his phone. Repeatedly. Like 30 times repeatedly. Finally, I decided I had to take action. Since it was so slow moving, I ran to the kitchen and got a large plastic popcorn bowl. I came back and waited for him to move away from the baseboard. Then I tossed the bowl on top of him and ran up on to a chair to watch him (in case he was able to free himself). I continued calling DH (he finally answered). I suggested we burn the house down afterwards, but DH said no.

Fear of being trapped. It’s kind of like claustrophobia but not quite. I need to have a way out.. and I’ve always been this way, I remember it as a child too. It can be really bad on planes or anywhere with a restraint system that I can’t control ( like rollercoasters) . The worst part is I know that it’s all in my head but I can’t make it stop. I have to take medication to fly. It sucks, but thankfully it doesn’t come up too often, and I have methods of controlling it when I have to fly.

Me too! A couple of months ago, I was home alone and walked right by a snake. In. My. House. IN. MY. HOUSE!! (Granted it was about the size of a very large earth worm, but still! It was In. My. House!) I very quickly jumped up on the couch and kept it within eyesight (because once you lose sight of it, you will never feel safe again until it is found and dealt with). Luckily, it was slow moving. I called DH (he works about 5 min from the house). And he had the nerve not to answer his phone. Repeatedly. Like 30 times repeatedly. Finally, I decided I had to take action. Since it was so slow moving, I ran to the kitchen and got a large plastic popcorn bowl. I came back and waited for him to move away from the baseboard. Then I tossed the bowl on top of him and ran up on to a chair to watch him (in case he was able to free himself). I continued calling DH (he finally answered). I suggested we burn the house down afterwards, but DH said no.
The only thing my husband is afraid of is snakes and he really never said much about it. Last summer we were at the cottage and he uncovered the speed boat and went to start it. He leapt out of that boat like it was on fire yelling “Nope Nope Nope!!!!”. There was a snake wrapped around the steering wheel and he had grabbed it when he grabbed the wheel. :scared:

House spiders. Garden spiders I can deal with as I can the spindly ones, but chunky house spiders, nope!

Sharks. I developed this fear as I have gotten older. I think it really stems from being unable to control circumstances...ie the sharks are lurking under the water and you wont know when they might eat you up! LOL! I wont go in the ocean past my knees...and I totally freak out when my kids do!

Fear of being trapped. It’s kind of like claustrophobia but not quite. I need to have a way out.. and I’ve always been this way, I remember it as a child too. It can be really bad on planes or anywhere with a restraint system that I can’t control ( like rollercoasters) . The worst part is I know that it’s all in my head but I can’t make it stop. I have to take medication to fly. It sucks, but thankfully it doesn’t come up too often, and I have methods of controlling it when I have to fly.

Have you ever had an MRI? Knowing how I am, when I had to get an MRI, I requested an open MRI. Got there and nope. Couldn't do it. Had to find a place where I could do a 'standing' MRI.

Me too.

I always have to know where to get out, all the exits, and how to access them. Planes are done with medication.

I also have a fear about having my back to crowds. For example in a restaurant, I can't sit facing a wall. I have to sit facing the door. Knowing people are moving around behind me drives me nuts.

When I go to theme parks, standing in line is difficult as I continuously am turning around to look behind me. The worst is when I'm at like the half point of a long line and there are equal amounts of people in front of or behind me and no wall to lean into!! I've gotten WAY better than I used to be as I won't have a full on panic attack most of the time now, but there were periods where I just about lost my mind because of the trapped feeling.

I know it sounds odd, but going to Disney and having to deal with massive crowds actually helps. (me anyways, I can't speak for anyone else)

Stinging insects. Wasps, hornets, bees, etc. I've been stung a couple of times and know it's really not that bad (no allergic reaction, thankfully) but I still freeze up if I see one. I refused to get on the boat once because there was one flying around the dock.

I recently had a wasp in the house and then realized it was starting to build a nest, :scared1:. Thank god it went outside and I had to knock the thing down....shut that door and locked it....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter