International College Program

minnie56

DIS Veteran
My DD22 is heading off to Disney on the 14th and her Mother (me) has been procrastinating as usual about her flight and therefore...not yet booked!!

I am between Skyservice at 0700 and American departing at 0935 changing in Miami. Westjet is sold out... :guilty: Air Canada is out to lunch on their pricing.

Does anyone here have a DD/DS going to Disney and travelling on either of the above flights??

Many thanks! :thumbsup2

If you are willing to drive her to Buffalo, you can probably get Southwest cheaper, plus a lot easier to get through customs driving across than flying. Check Southwest.com and see.

My daughter is also flying SouthWest out of Buffalo on the 14th...her flight leaves at 10:45 a.m. and arrives at 3 p.m. with one stopover. She is travelling with another student who is also going down. Besides a much better price, I liked the idea of dealing with customs at the border and not at the airport...

I just looked at this flight. Not at all bad...I was very close to booking American departing at 0938 , change in Miami and arriving MCO at 14:48 I think? But it is $498+ one way! Of course, this is out of good old Canada! Skyservice out of here is much cheaper, under $300 but it's Skyservice :confused3 Ugh...Did you book a return? I am thinking of booking that with Westjet...

What time are you planning on getting your daughter there? Given that as you say Customs/Immigration will be done at the border, time is not so critical? What is your daughter going to be doing at Disney? Mine will be in Operations...

Are you thinking of going down to visit at all while she is there? Can you tell this is going to be one loooong summer for me!!!??? :guilty:
I sure will miss her..and they're leaving us on Mothers day too!

Hey Minnie56!

I feel your pain!

Shayna is also in Operations! I'm only booking her one way as we've planned a family trip down just prior to her finishing (also while the free dining is going on!) and bringing her (and all her stuff) home by car. I'm assuming your daughter was at the Toronto interviews on the 6th? There were a few other moms there so I was wondering if one of them was you...?

Shayna has never flown before so that's making both her and myself very nervous. We were able to connect with another student who was hired and he is also going down on that SW flight. If your daughter (or you) hasn't found it yet, check out www.wdwip.com and go to forums. There are a number of Canadians posting there and you learn alot about what to expect.

I am also hoping to take a short trip down probably 4 weeks in just to see her and give her a hug! I don't know about your daughter, but the reality of what she's about to do is hitting her and the anxiety level is rising in the house!

Any other questions, just ask away!

As far as dealing with the border, we are hoping to leave Guelph about 6:30 a.m., get to the border around 8 a.m. and hopefully only need about 30 minutes to do whatever needs to be done. After that, it's a domestic flight and there shouldn't be any problems for her. I like the idea that we're with her when it comes to customs, especially because she has no experience with flying.

I like your thinking!
I am finally feeling at ease with the thought of these travel plans. I have driven my poor daughter crazy with "Will I come with you and we'll leave a few days earlier" and "Maybe I will book you for the Sunday and that way you'll maybe meet some others travelling" OMG, I really have been a nightmare! So...when she gets home I think I will promote this flight and I am sure she will just be grateful to have ot decided!

She was at the interviews on the 6th but alas, her Mother being shabby as she is...was on a cruise :confused3 Her Dad dropped her and returned for her and then she took the train back to Queen's in Kingston. My other daughter attends Guelph U so I am in your neck of the woods all the time! Small world...

My daughter's name is Shanan and though she has flown before and even worked in Florida before...doesn't make it any easier on me! :guilty: It just seems that the summers are what I look forward to the most and she will hardly be here for it. But I do know, given half the chance, I would be doing exactly the same thing! What a cool opportunity!

How old is your DD?

I too am planning a trip to see her...date undecided as of yet. I understand they don't always get their days off together so it may be a brief visit!

I live in Oakville so the trip is about the same from here I would think to Buffalo?

I will poke my nose in at the link you sent..thanks! :thumbsup2

Great minds think alike! :)

I originally thought about going down with her and even a few days early, but then realized that the Disney people are all at the airport waiting to scoop them up and I didn't want her to miss out on the 'magic' right from the gate! From that point on they're busy and I wouldn't even get much of a chance to touch base with her so I've decided to hold off and wait until she's settled in.

Your daughter has worked in Florida before? For Disney? Shayna is 20 and just finished her first year of university at Waterloo. It's been a dream for her to work for the mouse and it wasn't until she dropped the boyfriend of 4 years that she realized that she could get out there at do whatever she wants! For all we know the girls but end up roommates!

Have you looked into the prepaid long distance cards through President's Choice? Great buy if you need them.

Keep in touch and let me know what you decide to do!

Bonnie

She's all booked!!!
I am so gald that I found you and for all your ideas! Knowing that there will be others travelling with her on the same flights and changing as well makes me feel much more at ease....did your daughter gets seats? I wasn't offered them? OOPS?? Maybe I should call....?

I haven't looked into calling cards as you can see, I like to leave it all till the last minute!! My daughter did download 'Skype' for me though where I am able to talk to her through my computer microphone and she to me through her laptop free....and I thought I would call Bell Mobility and check the rate for cell phone usage but perhaps the PC calling cards would be better still!

I will go back and check out the seat situation....
MANY thanks for all your help! Maybe our daughters could meet up at the A/P? You know, my DD almost went to Waterloo...she was very close...in the 11th hour she switched to Queen's. What does your DD take there?

Okay, back later! :thumbsup2

My husband seems to think it's 'first come first serve' for seating?? Is this what you think too? :confused3

No, she didn't work for Disney.
This was about 5 years ago now...wow, time flies! She volunteered at a Wildlife Re-hab Clinic in Sanibel Island for part of a 'Co-op type' of program at her school. She was there for about 8 weeks I think?

Disney has ALWAYS been near and dear to her heart from her very first visit there at the ripe old age of 11 months! Since then, it has been a 2-3 times yearly thing for us and it's kinda nice to see the 'mouse' paying her for a change! Albeit...slave labour :lmao:

She was dubious about doing this this summer as she had a very nice job offer from her summer employer from last year, but I told her if she doesn't do it now, likely she never will. I think there's too many 'should have, could have, would haves'! It will be such a great experience for all of them and I am very envious! ;)

My daughter is wondering if she can have your daughters MSN or e-mail and they could 'meet' at least that way? :thumbsup2

Boy, there's no shutting me up now! :teeth:

I just purchased her trip insurance too.
Did you do it through the company Disney recommended?? If I calculated that correctly..it was almost $200 but I was concerned with the $$ limitations.

Feeling better now she is booked and things are taken care of. Of course the first thing she says to me when she got up and found out I had booked her flight was "I think I will take the 0700 flt with Skyservice after all as then perhaps I can request the nicer student housing" UGH...it's a no-win when I finally do something!

Her Dad told her that he is sure that all of the apts are pretty much up to Disney standard!!!

I don't know if the summer college kids have the same accomodations as the regular year long internationals but if so her apartment was pre assigned long before she arrived so it doesn't matter what time her flight gets in. The apartments are pretty much all the same except for number of bedrooms.

The short term students are usually put in Chatham Sq or Vista Way. I think the longer stay kids are usually in the commons??

minnie56 said:
The short term students are usually put in Chatham Sq or Vista Way. I think the longer stay kids are usually in the commons??

The actual apartment set ups are virtually the same. (I lived in Vista Way for 8 months and the Commons for 4). Did they ask her for preferance of # of roomates? ie, 2, 4, 6?

They didn't ask her...maybe that's to come?

I am sure the apts are the same..I have heard though that some areas are nicer than others? No matter, I am sure it will all be great either way!

Sorry for the delay in responding...it's been a nice day and I've been outside enjoying it!

Glad to hear you've got your daughter on the flight! Shayna thinks that Shanan has already posted at wdwip.com but Shayna's email is sha_yna05@hotmail.com

Haven't finalized trip insurance yet, it's the only thing left to do, but I'm waiting for a letter from my husband's company stating 60 days of coverage and then I'm just going to go to the CAA office and pay for the balance of time.

Seats aren't pre-assigned with SW I don't think. The girls will be housed in either Chatham or Vista. Shayna's hoping for Chatham as Vista is the oldest one and seems to be party central! Unfortunately, she's only 20 and underage to drink down there.

I think you'll find phone cards and Skype the best way to go. The beauty is that we can call them at their apartments and it's on our bill which is good. It's been a very emotional day today...last Sunday night meal together, next week this time you'll be... kind of stuff. It's driving me crazy!

I think it's a great idea that we meet up at the airport. I hear that the Buffalo airport is great and very manageable as far as size so I'm sure we'll have no problem finding each other. I'm a really ugly cryer so you can't miss me!

Take care!

Bonnie

Not a pretty crier! Poor girls to suffer such Mums!

Shanan has posted on that site...think she has talked to quite a few others so perhaps Shayna is one of them already. I will pass along her e-mail though all the same..thanks! I have been enlightened about the party spot too..hope they both get Chatham but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I know what you mean about an emotional day...I have this feeling that this week is going to fly by sadly. But you know, it won't be long till we can plan our visit! Is next week too soon? :lmao:

It was a beautiful day....

Well, time to walk my poor old doggie.

Thanks again for your tips and lending an ear...

Hi Bonnie 40

Time is nearing --- yikes!

The PC phone cards..can you recall the cost and how many minutes? I can add 'Florida calling' to her cellular acct for $20 a month but that only gives us 100 minutes free? I am wondering if she may as well get a cell phone there with long distance that we can activate whenever we visit? We just did this on a trip to London, England and it cost us hardly anything for the actual phone and peanuts for the calls home. Might be cheaper and then she can also call locally ie: for a taxi etc when need be?

Anyway, thought I would ask??

Hope the girls meet up and can help each other along the journey!
Thinking of you guys too this weekend! :guilty:

Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter