"In Search of Cinders" Trip Report - Day One

PJackson

DIS Veteran
My first stab at a Trip Report so I apologise if I send you all to sleep ;)

Details - Sun 28th Sept (pm) - Thurs 2nd Oct
Staying - Disneyland Hotel
CMs - Me, DH, DD1 (3.5 yrs), DD2 (5 mths), My Mum & Step Dad

Sun 28th Sept – arrived at CDG airport at 6.15 pm (slightly later than planned). BS Transport were waiting and took us to the Disneyland Hotel. We arrived at 7.10 pm ish and unpacked, fed and got the baby (DD2) ready for bed. I did have a fleeting thought about heading to the Park as it closed at 9.00 pm (later at weekend) but by the time we got sorted it was nearly that time anyway.

Tried to calm down DD1 so that she would sleep – not much chance of that! Had a bit of a night with her and began wondering if we would have been better off staying at a townhouse at the Marriott Vacation Club – but in the end it all worked out OK and hotel was fabulous!

Mum & Stepdad had the room next door and the rooms were interconnecting so it was handy (we’d requested this by email but they couldn’t guarantee it). Only issue was that M&D’s room only had one bed so there was nowhere for DD1 to sleep if we had wanted her to go in there – e.g. if she was being noisy and waking DD2 (which she did!) etc. We had two doubles in our room and a huge sofa (as did M&D). Both rooms were beautiful and very tastefully decorated with subtle Disney décor. DD1 fell in love with the bathroom mirror of all things as it was carved with Snow White and some of the dwarves’ heads on it!

177.jpg

180.jpg

576.jpg

With the rooms we got a daily Fastpass each – however, what I didn’t know was that it’s only valid from 2pm – 6pm each day! Having said that, the parks were quite quiet so we rarely needed them!

Day One - Mon 29th Sept

Up at 6.30 am ish (nothing new for me/DH). Got showered etc and the girls ready as quickly as we could and got down to breakfast for 7.45 am (served in Inventions). The first character we saw was Pluto and DD1 was over the moon – she truly loved the experience of meeting them. Breakfast was wonderful – lots of food – continental, sweet stuff, hot cooked stuff including boiled eggs. It wasn’t too busy when we arrived but by the time we left it was starting to get fairly busy although nowhere near a ‘scrum’ by any means.

004.jpg

006.jpg

Much to my huffing, we got to the Park at 8.45 am ish which isn’t bad with a baby and a 3.5 year old in tow! The weather was awful with freezing, thick fog but we didn’t let it get us down. I have a picture of Main Street where you can’t even see the Castle at the bottom – very strange to see (pic below)! Everyone in the party was wondering why I was so adamant that we went all the way over to Fantasyland to the Peter Pan ride first! I tried to explain about queues etc and making the most of EMH but at this point it was ‘over their heads’. We went on the ride straight away and then on again with a very small queue (2 mins or so). Then, having seen the ropes for the queue, DH and party realised why I’d been so keen! We then queued for Dumbo (for about 5 minutes) and went on the Tea Cups and the Carousel.

008.jpg

017.jpg

EMH was coming to an end so we raced over to Discoveryland and the Buzz Lightyear ride but the queue was already showing as 20 mins and that was at 10.05 am! So we went for a coffee as DD2 needed feeding and changing. Had a coffee and cookie in the Cable Car Bakery and we were glad of the warmth and dry!

Walked through Frontierland to enjoy the Halloween decorations which were just fabulous. Even DD1, whom I thought might be scared of them, absolutely loved them. We stumbled across Jessie from Toy Story and DD1 got pic/auto. She loved Jessie! DH then spotted Minnie in her little house next to Jessie which was such a find as there was no queue! Minnie was so cute and so nice with DD1 and DD2! We also saw Prince John, Big Al, Kenai, Pluto, Eeyore and Gov Ratcliffe outside the Barbeque cookout restaurant which DD1 just loved! Again got pics/auto with them all as not really any scrums!

034.jpg

033.jpg

035-1.jpg

037-1.jpg

On the way through to Adventureland we passed Colonel Haithi’s restaurant and saw more characters – Goofy (in safari clothes!), Mr Smee and Rajar. We walked onto Indiana Jones (I went on with my Stepdad who looked at me very sullenly as we took ‘off’ and said “This is my first ever rollercoaster ride” with a very white face lol). We then did POTC – 5 min queue max. I was reluctant to take DD1 on POTC but my DH insisted. Sure enough she was a little scared but OK – she asked to go on again when we got off but we thought better of it as I thought it was ‘bravado’!

053-1.jpg

054-1.jpg

We then headed back to Fantasyland and went to look around the Castle to find it is still closed upstairs (until 6/10) which was disappointing. So we went on the Snow White ride (quite dark and DD1 scared in places but liked the end with Snow White!) and also Alice’s Labyrinth which she liked. Not sure what work they’ve done to this recently but it can’t have been much as the characters looked a little shabby in places – I think they may have cut the shrubs?

We had a quick look at the Passage of Aladdin exhibition thing next to Agrabah and was not really impressed with it! Agrabah was open and looked nice but we decided to head out to the Village and eat at Annettes – this was about 1.45 pm.

Got to Annettes and had to wait 5 minutes or so for a table. There were plenty of tables but for some reason the whole of the restaurant wasn’t open? I’ll review this in the correct place but overall it was OK – nice food but a bit cold and expensive!

Headed back to the park for the OUAD parade which was just the most fantastic experience ever (and by lunchtime the weather had brightened up so the sun was shining for the Parade!). We all loved it and got some great photos and video footage. DD1 was on DH’s shoulders and had loads of characters come and say hello to her.

117.jpg

134.jpg

150.jpg

160.jpg

DH and SD wanted to do the Buzz ride as the queue had been a little long in the morning. We were going to use our fastpasses but didn’t need to as the queue was only 5 mins! We all loved it and DH got a great highscore (showoff!). We even bought the photos as a souvenir. DD1 wanted to go on Orbitron but there was a massive queue and as it was part of EMH I told her we’d do it the next morning. So DH, SD & myself went on Space Mountain which we used our fastpasses for as the queue was 30 minutes. Mum and the girls stayed outside. We all loved this ride!

The day was nearly finished so we took DD1 to Fantasyland to ride IASW which she loved (and I did too!). Then we headed back to the hotel to get DD2 fed and ready for bed. We went out to watch Candlebration but didn’t know what to expect and stood at the top of Mainstreet so had no view really and couldn’t see the lights on the castle because it was too light – it was a bit of a disappointment really!

We eventually got the girls to sleep (well DD1 as DD2 was out straight away!) and then went for a quick drink and snack at the Fantasia (Hotel) bar while M & SD listened out for the girls from their room. One of the drawbacks of the DLH was the lack of ‘snack’ food options in the evenings. The bar has a very limited (and v expensive) menu or the other options are full on meals in Inventions or California Grill – not really snacky!

Back to the room to feed DD2 and then to bed after a shattering, but fantastic day! :) Day 2 to come!! princess:

great first day!!! love the pics i will have to show my dd tomorrow she loves looking at disneyland pics bless

Thanks :) I can't believe how much we got done! Sorry they are all different sizes - am rubbish with photobucket and my laptop is being soooo slow!!!

Fantastic first trip report, you managed to get such a lot done even with little ones in tow - love your pictures.

I have been looking forward to hearing about your trip. Your photos are lovely & you got alot done on your first day & seem to have been in the right place at the right time for loads of characters.

I've been waiting to read this.:goodvibes Great trip report. I'm getting even more excited about staying at DLH now! I will be sneaking cheap snacks in for nighttime munchies!!;)

Your 1st day sounds fantastic.
I've been waiting to read your report as we go in a few weeks with a 5month old.

Can I ask how did you find it with your DD2, did you get to take her on any rides and how did you find her being out and about in the parks all day?

... This really does look as those someone has gone and pinched Sleeping Beauty's Castle! Could it have been :maleficen ??? Someone please magic it back pixiedust:

It sounds like your having a wonderful time... Can't wait to read about Day 2

great trip report- glad to see you got on fine with your dd2 as we are taking our son in dec and he will be 4.5 months old then.

Awww thanks for all the lovely comments :goodvibes We did do so much and it never really let up - so much so I've been so shattered since returning!! ;)

Karen - we did manage to see a lot of characters (I think?). DD1's autograph book is 3/4 full and we only bought it on this trip!! I think in that respect it was a good time to go I think.

Juliette - you'll love the hotel - it's just soo easy to get to the park every day which is a big bonus. The character interaction at breakfast is amazing and wasn't busy at all. Fab photo opportunities - I can't remember offhand all the characters we saw each day but I'll put it in my TR when I look at my notes :) I think Pluto was there every day though and towards the end even DD was like 'oh Pluto again' :lmao: The bar does lovely cocktails to end the day - around 8 euros each. I had a cheese & ham pannini thing and it cost around 13.50 euros!! :scared1: I did take snacks but more 'healthy' ones for DD1 - didn't fancy munching on Organix raisins, sweetcorn rings etc etc :rotfl:

BunnyBear - yes it was eerily to see (or not) the castle on our first morning - it didn't mean much to the others as they didn't know what to expect! I knew it should be there so thought the photo was quite clever!

Steve - I got a few of characters in the parade like that - not sure what the crowds are normally like for the parade but we stood at Bella Notte and there was loads of room. Peter Pan specifically posed for us and then came running over to say hello to DD1 - she was made up!! :lovestruc

Daisy/Mandy - I was concerned about DD2 but tbh she is a really placid little thing so was no bother whatsoever. As long as she is changed and fed she is happy! :cutie: At first we used to go and get a coffee so I could feed her (I'm breastfeeding) but then we found the Baby Care Centres a godsend as they are quiet and clean etc. It was easier to change her there too. She slept well in her pushchair and never complained really. I only took her on the one ride - IASW and she wasn't that bothered although she appeared to like the lights! We had lunch at Cafe Mickey on our last day and she blew a huge raspberry at Mickey Mouse (which we have on video) which was hilarious (he was right up to her at the time!) and wouldn't let go of Pluto's whiskers :laughing: I think we would have struggled a bit more tbh if my Mum hadn't been there as she was happy to stay with DD2 and the pushchair while we went on rides (she's not a ride person really). I don't think there are any rides you can take the pushchair on and we found if we did want to all do something i.e. the railroad, inevitably she was asleep and I didn't want to wake her so we didn't do it. I think this would have been a problem if we'd been on our own - I suppose it depends on your little one really. You can make use of the baby switch but we never needed to use it. So that may be an option for you both...

I'll try and get Day Two done tonight (lunch at Auberge!) when the littlies are in bed! :)

Emma - you'll be able to do a once round before you go on your next trip :lmao: It is a really special hotel (not that I can compare to any other Disney ones mind you!).

Amanda - we crossed posts! Minnie's 'house' was next to the spot where either Woody or Jessie normally are - sorry not sure what it is called... It's a log cabin type thing - she was there 2 days out of our 4 so probably there quite a bit...? The second time we saw her there was no-one but us and she spent ages with the girls - got loads of great video :thumbsup2

Emma - you'll be able to do a once round before you go on your next trip :lmao: It is a really special hotel (not that I can compare to any other Disney ones mind you!).

I was too busy dancing with Tigger to have a proper nose :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter