I'm so disappointed and I don't know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to lie, I am disappointed masks had to return, but understand the reasons.

Otherwise, this is a total non-factor in my family's trip next month. We're going, we'll mask, and we'll have just as much fun. I worried about ADRs and what tee time to schedule (had to give up Kona breakfast!), but not at all about masks.

We were there in June also and it was much much better than when we went last October when you had to wear mask outdoors as well. It was slightly confusing though because you'd forget when to put on the mask on and when to take it off. You walk out of ride and walk around for a few minutes before realizing it. The whole thing IMO is silly because throughout the park and directly adjacent to the lines are people standing right next to each other without masks. But the air in the line right next to you is dangerous :scratchin? And now with fireworks open it's even more ridiculous to wear masks in line.

I wouldn't be canceling Disney trips because of Covid restrictions because who knows how long these rules are going to get turned on and off again :confused3. We built in extra few non-park days to get some relief from masks. We went to the waterparks or the movie theatre, or resort pool instead.

Your last paragraph is why we haven't canceled our trip that starts on Sunday. I could postpone until next summer, but who knows what next summer will bring. Unfortunately, I think we will be going back and forth with this for months and maybe even years to come. It is very disheartening! My boys are 15-years-old and we only have so many vacations left with them. We can't keep on postponing and hope that things are better.

We were there in June also and it was much much better than when we went last October when you had to wear mask outdoors as well. It was slightly confusing though because you'd forget when to put on the mask on and when to take it off. You walk out of ride and walk around for a few minutes before realizing it. The whole thing IMO is silly because throughout the park and directly adjacent to the lines are people standing right next to each other without masks. But the air in the line right next to you is dangerous :scratchin? And now with fireworks open it's even more ridiculous to wear masks in line.

I wouldn't be canceling Disney trips because of Covid restrictions because who knows how long these rules are going to get turned on and off again :confused3. We built in extra non-park days to get some relief from masks. We went to the waterparks or the movie theatre, or resort pool instead.

we kept forgetting to put our masks back on all the time. it was confusing. But loved not wearing it outside. We’re fully vaxed, and that trip was 3 generations who were ALL fully vaxed From ages 12 to 70 years old. I find kids seem to not really care about masks. They are such troopers through this.

Your last paragraph is why we haven't canceled our trip that starts on Sunday. I could postpone until next summer, but who knows what next summer will bring. Unfortunately, I think we will be going back and forth with this for months and maybe even years to come. It is very disheartening! My boys are 15-years-old and we only have so many vacations left with them. We can't keep on postponing and hope that things are better.
I just noticed that you're staying at Beach Club and Poly. Nice :thumbsup2! There's no way I would cancel a great trip like that just because of some mask time in the parks! You have the perfect two resorts for spending off-time to get away from masks! Have a great time! I'm jealous. :wave:

Myself and 2 sons are scheduled to go to Disney at the end of August. Just saw this announcement today:

Starting July 30th, Disney World will require all guests, regardless of vaccination status, to wear masks in an indoor locations. This includes upon entering and throughout all attractions, either indoor or outdoor.

Does this mean that we have to wear masks in outdoor lines as well? (Slinky Dog Dash for example) I'm just not sure we are willing to pay that much $ to stand in the August Florida heat with a mask on.

Assuming I'm reading the new directive correctly? I think we would still go if it just meant indoors because air conditioning makes a big difference, but in outdoor lines, I'm not so sure.

Do I need to call Disney to see about cancelling? I've already paid my full balance. Will I get that back? And I bought Boo Bash tickets. Ugh. I know I'm sounding like a whiney baby, but I'm so over wearing masks!
How old are your sons? If they are under 12 and unvaccinated they were already required to wear masks indoors at Disney anyway.

I'm sure so many people are canceling or postponing after yesterday's announcement.
It's interesting to see so many people with the " I'm canceling bc I have to mask in the queue and inside attitude". After finding these boards while planning my upcoming trip next week, my impression was that many people here planned their trips far in advance and were very frequent visitors and uber Disney fans. Masks have been required for everyone inside and out since they opened back up, it's only very recently they lifted for vaccinated people, so for most, it's either equal to or better than when they booked. I'm glad Disney responded to the current situation and know they will probably relax the masks rules again as soon as the situation is better. Personally, I feel they upped their capacity too soon,but that is a whole other topic.

I'm going with an 8 year old child, my granddaughter. We were going back and forth about canceling because of the surge in Delta covid due to her not being able to vaccinate yet, and the belief that many of the unvaccinated would just ignore the rule about masking indoors. So this news is actually making our decision to go more comfortable.

I had already planned to wear a mask when she had to, and also if we were in a crowd outside like during fireworks, Im vaccinated, but it seemed unfair to make her do it if I wasn't willing to. Would have liked to rope drop to see the opening, as it is her first visit, but wasn't going to bc of the close packed crowd situation. And I have an elderly mom in Memory Care that I visit daily at home; so need to protect her also.

But there is a silver lining - keep canceling guys, maybe lower crowds and shorter lines for me!!!

Last edited:

We were there in early June when it was 100 degrees plus humidity and they had the same mask policy as what starts again on July 30.

There will be a sign in every line that states this is where you have to put your mask on. There was a CM at that sign telling people to put their masks on.

Some of these lines, like Rock N Roll were out in the sun and it was not pleasant with the mask on. We stayed hydrated, wore cooling towels, and survived.

There were CMs in certain places that would remind those to put masks on. We heard them tell more than a few guests that if they didn't put their masks on they would be asked to leave the park. The best was the guy "drinking" from a water bottle. When he was told to put his mask on he took a "drink" from his water bottle and said, "I'm drinking". The CM replied, "Are you drinking air? Your bottle has been empty for at least 15 minutes."

We've been debating a trip to either WDW or DL the second week of September. This news may put an end to those plans. We're vaccinated and I'm completely over wearing a mask....I have no interest in doing it anywhere, let alone Disney.

Arriving on Saturday. Part of me is happy because although we are all vaccinated, my elderly parents are coming with us and this will be safer for them. Part of me is so disappointed that we didn't go sooner before all of this blew up again. We are going to have a great time no matter what, because I am going to be in my favorite place with my favorite people.

Exactly......I have a high schooler the same age. We have cancelled so many trips hoping for things to get better. We are vaccinated. We will plan more pool time, the water park-maybe go to Discovery Cove for a break from Disney but I feel like we just need to go because we only have so many more years with kids before they are grownup.

Exactly......I have a high schooler the same age. We have cancelled so many trips hoping for things to get better. We are vaccinated. We will plan more pool time, the water park-maybe go to Discovery Cove for a break from Disney but I feel like we just need to go because we only have so many more years with kids before they are grownup.

We have the waterpark option this trip so we do spend on visiting BB a few times and will definitely hang out at our resort pools - which was always the plan, back when we started planning this trip in 2018. We will be there for two weeks, so we knew we'd have plenty of downtime, but I do want to spend time in the parks riding rides and going to attractions - when it comes down to it, that is why we are going to Disney. We will figure out a plan once we get there. I'm hoping it is better than I am thinking it will be in regards to mask wearing. I'm a teacher and wore a mask all year as did my boys, but I'm worried about masks in the heat. I'm sure it will all be okay and we will have a great time.

I think I'm frustrated because we are all vaccinated and have been wearing masks and we were so excited to go to Disney for some normal without masks. I feel like we are so close to this vacation and to be so close and then have things change can be hard to swallow. Again, we will be fine and I'm sure we'll have a great time, I just need some time to let this all settle in.

Enjoy your trip!

I just noticed that you're staying at Beach Club and Poly. Nice :thumbsup2! There's no way I would cancel a great trip like that just because of some mask time in the parks! You have the perfect two resorts for spending off-time to get away from masks! Have a great time! I'm jealous. :wave:

With everything going on, I am so glad we paid more to stay at the BC and Poly. We will definitely be spending more time at the resorts this trip. We won't cancel. It is too close now. It will be okay and we will make the best of it. I have no problem with wearing masks, I'm just worried about masks and the heat.

I think if you feel disappointed about this news, it might be better to postpone or cancel. That also comes with negatives but Disney World is a LOT of money to spend if you are going into it feeling disappointed. I'm far more concerned about the massive crowds and lack of fast passes than I am about putting on a mask, but everyone has their "thing" that pushes them over the edge. It's either worth it, or it's not. Only you can know what that threshold is for you and your family and your wallet.

It should truly be indoors only. It makes zero sense to allow people to cram together like sardines for fireworks or park opening without masks but then require them for outdoor lines/rides.

I think the mask requirement for the entire queue is more to make the lives of CMs easier than anything else. There are plenty of queues that go inside/outside/inside again or queues like Splash Mountain where one could reasonably disagree on whether you are technically inside or outside at certain parts. Far better to simplify things for CMs and simply require everyone put on a mask at the entrance to the queue and keep it on until the exit the ride. When you view it from that perspective, it makes more sense why Disney would do that even if its probably of minimal value from a health perspective.

I think tomorrow is going to be a very interesting day in Disney, especially if Universal and SeaWorld don't follow suit. I really feel for the CMs. Plus, this isn't like the other time when masks were required. Disney is packed to the gills. It is going to be hard to police people in line when you can't easily see everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter