I'm so disappointed and I don't know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
The global COVID pandemic created unprecedented restrictions, disruptions and changes to our travel, work, shopping, schooling, social interactions and so many other aspects of our lives since the beginning of 2020. We’ve all been affected, and we have been inundated with news, information, mis-information, frustrations and opinions. We’ve heard them, we’ve shared them, we’ve argued about them.

The discussions, debates and arguments about the virus, distancing and masking policies, various politicians’ statements and actions have been overwhelming and divisive. Many threads on the DISboards have been derailed or devolved into arguments due to this topic. We understand the passion, but feel that we’ve let the discussions run their course. We are sure there are better places on the WWW to learn about and debate scientific, medical and political issues. The mission of the DISboards is to be a great travel resource and a friendly community.

Now that travel is opening up again, it’s time to refocus on that mission!

From this point on, we will welcome information on COVID policies RELATED TO TRAVEL. Things like the vaccination policies issued by venues or destinations, the cleaning or distancing procedures in use, practical tips for travelers or things they might need to know that are different from location to location are all valid topics. Any official policies issued by Disney, other travel destinations, cruise lines, airlines, etc. regarding requirements for visiting parks or cruising can be shared. This information needs to be on-topic for the specific forum and thread where posted.

We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed: No statistics about infection rates, no ranting about individual rights, no “face-diaper” comments, no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective, no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what.

In summary: COVID related discussion should be limited to actual policy and practical application, and NOT veer into opinion or debate.

We understand that you may be passionate in your opinions on this topic and want to discuss or debate them, and appreciate your understanding that there are more appropriate places than the DISboards to do that.

Thank you,
DISboards Administrators

Myself and 2 sons are scheduled to go to Disney at the end of August. ...
Do I need to call Disney to see about cancelling? I've already paid my full balance. Will I get that back? And I bought Boo Bash tickets. Ugh. I know I'm sounding like a whiney baby, but I'm so over wearing masks!
Have your sons expressed an opinion as to whether masking will bother them? I personally found the partial masking of early June much easier to handle then the mask rules of last August.

Do I need to call Disney to see about cancelling? I've already paid my full balance. Will I get that back? And I bought Boo Bash tickets. Ugh. I know I'm sounding like a whiney baby, but I'm so over wearing masks!

Unusual times and no one here can give you any accurate answers. I would call Disney to inquire about refunds and what is your last date you can request them. Be sure to ask them to email you the information so you have in writing. They will not be able to give you any timetables for how long this will last, it likely will be re-evaluated on an ongoing basis from multiple sources of information. I would suggest just keeping a watch on the situation and make the best decision for your family by any deadlines.

I was there end of August last summer, when masks were required 100% of the time unless you were distanced to eat and drink, and I surved. In fact, when I read this news last night I was not at all put back/disheartened for my next solo trip during the same time frame at the end of August this summer. Did I sweat buckets under my mask? Yes. BUT, I was just there in June when it was HOT and when the rules were exactly the same as this (right before they were lifted) and it was much more bearable to only have to put it on for lines and indoors. Some of the queues they don't make you put them on until you get to a certain point and it was fine. You're going to be hot and sweating regardless, take a fan, a hat, drink lots of water, and try to have a good time......or if it bothers you that much don't go, but if you are going to be that miserable putting on a mask then you're not going to enjoy your trip and it's just not worth it at that point to spend that much money to be miserable (but it's honestly not that bad)

I think tomorrow is going to be a very interesting day in Disney, especially if Universal and SeaWorld don't follow suit. I really feel for the CMs. Plus, this isn't like the other time when masks were required. Disney is packed to the gills. It is going to be hard to police people in line when you can't easily see everyone.
Agree! I was there in June and they couldn't police it then and it was far less crowded. People took mask off as soon as they passed the CM at the entrance and then put it back on before they got on the ride.

Except that's not how the web page announcement reads. There is no mention of "indoors or out". It's rather confusing because the exact wording is:
View attachment 593034

Which could be interpreted as "while indoors, masks must be worn by everyone regardless of vaccination status including indoor attraction queues". You'll note that the announcement ends with stating that face coverings are optional in outdoor common areas. Many of the extended queues reach into those outdoor common areas where one family can be standing in line while several others are passing by or sitting without masks. I really think we need to wait to see where the rule will apply.

The text in your screenshot says, "This includes upon entering and throughout all attractions." There's no mention of indoors or outdoors because it's throughout all attractions. I suppose you could argue that a queue isn't part of the attraction, but it seems to me that "entering" means entering the queue/line/building/whatever.

Based on what I have read, it sounds like once you enter the official queue for any attraction, whether the official queue is indoors or outdoors, you mask up from that point through the end of the attraction. I do not see this applying to overflow queues. Each attraction has a point where the official queue begins, usually designated with permanent walls or permanent railings. When it is busy, the queues often extend well past these official queue areas. For example, HM at MK has an official queue that is outdoors and begins at the brick and metal gates where you used to tap in for FP, but the queue often extends far beyond that point, well back into Liberty Square. I would expect to have to mask up when I reach the gates, but not if I am waiting in Liberty Square. I am sure there will be signs up at the point where we are supposed to put the masks on so we don’t have to guess.

The text in your screenshot says, "This includes upon entering and throughout all attractions." There's no mention of indoors or outdoors because it's throughout all attractions. I suppose you could argue that a queue isn't part of the attraction, but it seems to me that "entering" means entering the queue/line/building/whatever.
In June when masking was worded the way it will be going forward overflow queues were okay to have masks down but once you got to the main entrance a cm would kindly remind you to put it on/pull it up

Based on what I have read, it sounds like once you enter the official queue for any attraction, whether the official queue is indoors or outdoors, you mask up from that point through the end of the attraction. I do not see this applying to overflow queues. Each attraction has a point where the official queue begins, usually designated with permanent walls or permanent railings. When it is busy, the queues often extend well past these official queue areas. For example, HM at MK has an official queue that is outdoors and begins at the brick and metal gates where you used to tap in for FP, but the queue often extends far beyond that point, well back into Liberty Square. I would expect to have to mask up when I reach the gates, but not if I am waiting in Liberty Square. I am sure there will be signs up at the point where we are supposed to put the masks on so we don’t have to guess.
In June we found there was always a CM or two (or three) standing there to remind us to put them on at the point we needed to, and you are right that the overflow queues didn't require the masks to be on. This was especially helpful in lines like Pirates, or in line for the Safari in the morning when it was super humid, we would just wait until we got to where the CM told us to put them on at the official entrance point and it was fine.

In June we found there was always a CM or two (or three) standing there to remind us to put them on at the point we needed to, and you are right that the overflow queues didn't require the masks to be on. This was especially helpful in lines like Pirates, or in line for the Safari in the morning when it was super humid, we would just wait until we got to where the CM told us to put them on at the official entrance point and it was fine.

Problem is this time the CM's that did that are doing other jobs and they are short staffed as is and the crowds are significantly higher than May/june.

Myself and 2 sons are scheduled to go to Disney at the end of August. Just saw this announcement today:

Starting July 30th, Disney World will require all guests, regardless of vaccination status, to wear masks in an indoor locations. This includes upon entering and throughout all attractions, either indoor or outdoor.

Does this mean that we have to wear masks in outdoor lines as well? (Slinky Dog Dash for example) I'm just not sure we are willing to pay that much $ to stand in the August Florida heat with a mask on.

Assuming I'm reading the new directive correctly? I think we would still go if it just meant indoors because air conditioning makes a big difference, but in outdoor lines, I'm not so sure.

If you are within 30 days prior to check-in, the standard policy is a forfeiture of your $200 deposit if canceling a package reservation within that timeframe. You would avoid that cancellation fee if you modify the reservation to a future date and the cost of your new package is the same or more than your original package (typically a $50 change fee, if not). You can certainly call WDW (or your TA) and discuss this with them. The CM who picks up the phone may need to contact guest services to further help with your request. You can certainly ask about a refund for the Boo Bash tickets as well. No guarantee they will be able to accommodate you, but it's certainly worth a phone call. The policies have changed so quickly, hopefully they will be a bit flexible with the reservation terms and conditions.

I guess it depends on how you read it. My interpretation is: Masks must be worn indoors and this includes upon entering an attraction. You're reading it differently and that's where the confusion arises.

In June when masking was worded the way it will be going forward overflow queues were okay to have masks down but once you got to the main entrance a cm would kindly remind you to put it on/pull it up

I suspect the rationale was that they can't have CMs stationed everywhere, so they can enforce it only from a certain point in the queue.

I guess it depends on how you read it. My interpretation is: Masks must be worn indoors and this includes upon entering an attraction. You're reading it differently and that's where the confusion arises.

You are leaving out what I believe is the most important part - "throughout all attractions." I'm just not sure how that could be made clearer, unless you're wondering what counts as an attraction.

You are leaving out what I believe is the most important part - "throughout all attractions." I'm just not sure how that could be made clearer, unless you're wondering what counts as an attraction.
More like questioning the definition of throughout.

As a great president once said, depends on what the definition of the word is, is.

And you're taking that phrase out of context, which I am not. The context implies that masks are to be worn indoors including throughout all attractions. It does not say in addition to all attraction queues regardless of location.

But I'm not going to get any further into a pissing match with you. Read it any way you want. Disney will enforce their rule as they intend it. We'll all find out soon enough.

And you're taking that phrase out of context, which I am not. The context implies that masks are to be worn indoors including throughout all attractions. It does not say in addition to all attraction queues regardless of location.

But I'm not going to get any further into a pissing match with you. Read it any way you want. Disney will enforce their rule as they intend it. We'll all find out soon enough.

The wording copied/pasted by the OP in the first post did indeed include wording about attractions and their queues, both indoors and outdoors. The wording on WDW’s website does not currently include that specific phrase. It will indeed be interesting to see how this is enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter