I'm Outnumbered! Parenting Alone Through The Panama Canal (EBPC 2017)

Pressure is on to get this finished before the next trip starts LOL!! I still can't believe that your first PC trip report gave me the bug to want to go on this itinerary and now in 2 weeks we will be on board!! Its been a LONG wait!! Please keep writing, you are getting me excited!

Emily left us for the Oceaneer Club, while Jimmy and I headed to dance class. We arrived a bit early so Jimmy opted to take a brief nap in the port hole.

31.jpg

32.jpg

Today in dance we learned the Merengue. Both Jimmy and I really liked this one. It was easy and fun. After class, we headed toward the D Lounge. Along the way, we stopped to get a photo of the Halloween Tree. Spooky!

33.jpg

We headed on to the D Lounge for Improv 101. Jimmy decided to sit back and watch while I got into the fun (aka acted silly in front of a group of strangers). The class was a blast. I would definitely be taking part in the future improv classes offered onboard.

34.jpg

35.jpg

We left the D Lounge and headed back down to deck three for rubber duck decorating. Jimmy accompanied me, but didn't decorate a duck.

36.jpg

Here's my masterpiece. Isn't she lovely?

37.jpg

I was ready for some fresh air so Jimmy and I headed outside on deck 4.

38.jpg

I went on a three mile walk...

39.jpg

while Jimmy enjoyed the view (of his tablet ;) ).

40.jpg

41.jpg

Mickey ears

42.jpg

I stopped walking just before dinner. It was Frozen night. We had just enough time to collect Emily, let her slip on her Elsa dress, and make it to Triton's.

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

Emily felt that Olaf needed a touch of color.

47.jpg

Pressure is on to get this finished before the next trip starts LOL!! I still can't believe that your first PC trip report gave me the bug to want to go on this itinerary and now in 2 weeks we will be on board!! Its been a LONG wait!! Please keep writing, you are getting me excited!

I feel the pressure! LOL! I didn't plan on this report taking quite so long. My extended family has experienced another "crisis" that reached its peak over the last couple of weeks. As usual, I've taken on the caretaker roll. Hopefully, it is beginning to settle down and life can return to normal. Still, I will be SO ready to leave in 12 days! Vacation here I come! The race is on to finish this report before then...

Last edited:

We all started with Elsa's Coronation Scallops. We all LOVE these!

48.jpg

49.jpg

Emily also had the Gravlax.

50.jpg

We may have ordered extra scallops...:rolleyes1

51.jpg

I also had the carrot soup.

52.jpg

For his main course, Jimmy ordered the children's chicken tenders.

53.jpg

I had the wild boar filet. The sauce on this fantastic!

54.jpg

Emily never made it to the main course. She fell asleep at the table.

55.jpg

For dessert, Emily (I ordered for her) and I both had the Chocolate and Raspberry Tart. Yum!

56.jpg

57.jpg

I also ordered the Norwegian Pancakes.

58.jpg

So did Jimmy. These are one of his favorite desserts onboard.

59.jpg

Emily woke up at the smell of chocolate. It was now when I asked her if she still wanted to attend the Coast to Coast Campout in the Oceaneer Club that would be taking place later in the evening. She said "no." This was a good thing because our cabin steward, Lorenzo, never delivered her backpack or instructions. All-in-all it wasn't a big deal because she decided not to attend. I'm only sharing this info as a warning to pay attention to when activities are taking place. If she had wanted to attend and I hadn't paid attention to the date on the tickets I'd received when I signed her up, she may have been very disappointed when she missed it. CMs are wonderful, but human. They make mistakes. In this case everything worked out fine. She just consumed a ton of sugar and perked right up!

60.jpg

From dinner, we went to dance class. Both of the kids were really getting into it.

61.jpg

After dance, the kids expressed the need for some down time. I felt that was wise considering they were falling asleep at random throughout the ship. They headed back to the cabin, while I went to the Walt Disney Theater to watch Absolute Journey. They were very talented, but the music was far too loud for my tastes. I quietly slipped out of the theater and went for a walk on deck 4 instead.

64.jpg

When I returned to the cabin, the kids were sorting their candy...again. I verified with Em that she did not want to attend the campout and then headed off to Azure for the adult entertainment.

65.jpg

Tonight's performer was a juggler. He was really funny.

66.jpg

I left Azure and returned to the cabin. The kids' energy levels had returned in full force. We all decided to go watch Thor: Dark World in the Buena Vista Theater. I made a run for wings, pizza, fruit, and drinks. I'm glad we saw the movie. It was good, and I needed the Thor refresher for tomorrow night's Premear of Thor: Ragnorok.

62.jpg

63.jpg

We returned to the cabin at 1am. So much for going to bed early! Another incredible day was behind us.

Up Next...Just Dance

If they still have the Frozen menu on the wbpc next spring, I’m going to have TWO of the Coronation scallops for my dinner!

I love reading your reports. We get on the Wonder in 11 days and your Panama Canal trip reports have me so excited! Thanks for sharing these!!!

Day 10, Friday, November 3, 2017, Sea Day

I woke at 9am. For breakfast, I had the chocolate-raspberry tart I'd saved from last night's dinner. I was really digging eating dessert for breakfast! While the cabin was quiet, I did some yoga stretches, updated my notes, and finished my first audiobook of the cruise - Anyone? by Angela Scott. I recommend it for anyone who enjoys YA post-apocalyptic fiction. I let the kids be until they woke on their own after 11am. They desperately needed to sleep in.

When they were ready we went straight to Triton's for lunch. The lunch menu began to repeat today. In other words, it was once again chocolate hazelnut molten cake day!

1.jpg

The kids took a few pictures while we waited for our food.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

If they still have the Frozen menu on the wbpc next spring, I’m going to have TWO of the Coronation scallops for my dinner!

I soooo hope they are still on the menu in a couple of weeks. Those scallops are delicious!

I love reading your reports. We get on the Wonder in 11 days and your Panama Canal trip reports have me so excited! Thanks for sharing these!!!

Thank you for joining in! We'll be on The Wonder before we know it!

Staring at the food pictures - I need to be there already! It has been a bear of a year already and someone needs to make food magically appear in front of me for two weeks.

Staring at the food pictures - I need to be there already! It has been a bear of a year already and someone needs to make food magically appear in front of me for two weeks.

So looking forward to not having to cook for two weeks and letting Disney chefs feed me. 11 more sleeps until we leave.

I hear you!

So looking forward to not having to cook for two weeks and letting Disney chefs feed me. 11 more sleeps until we leave.

The food is one of my favorite parts of cruising. My taste buds are ready!

Jimmy started with the calamari.

10.jpg

I had the marinated artichokes. These are SO good!

11.jpg

Emily didn't bother with any "real" food. She waited for Jimmy and I, and we all ordered double chocolate hazelnut molten cakes. These are AMAZING!

12.jpg

All three of us conquered both desserts. We are dessert champions!

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

On serious sugar rushes, we made our way up stairs to see what the buffet had to offer.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

We were too full to sample anything off the buffet, so we left Cabana's and headed for the sports deck. Along the way, we passed Quiet Cove. It wasn't too busy today.

61.jpg

Emily left Jimmy and I to play in the Oceaneer Lab. Jimmy and I played ping pong. Doesn't he look serious?

29.jpg

Jimmy and I were such skilled ping pong players that we ended up expanding our game across two ping pong tables, the ceiling, and the floor. :rolleyes1 In truth, after one game we called it quits for the safety of everyone on deck. :crutches:

We made our way to Azure for dance class. Today we learned the Foxtrot. Jimmy found this dance as challenging as James and I did. We faked our way through it (with minimal injuries) and then headed to the D Lounge for another improv class. Jimmy participated this time. Again, it was a lot of fun.

30.jpg

We left improv class and went to the Oceaneer Lab for the open house and to meet up with Emily. We'd had so much fun playing a word association game during the improv class that we continued playing it with Emily during the open house. Several kids ended up joining us. We had our own little party.

31.jpg

When the Oceaneer Lab open house ended, Jimmy and I once again left Emily and went to the Vibe open house. I had a blast here. I learned that I totally suck at Guitar Hero, but I rule at Just Dance. I beat the three kids I played with and it was my first time!

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

I live by this saying.

35.jpg

This evening's dinner was in Animator's Palate with the World of Flavour menu.

16.jpg

36.jpg

Bug-eye buns

38.jpg

Emily started with the trio of salmon.

39.jpg

I had the empanada.

40.jpg

Jimmy ordered the spring roll.

41.jpg

Jimmy also had an order of French fries.

42.jpg

For our main courses, we all had the chicken kiev. It was good.

43.jpg

Emily also ordered a side of corn on the cob.

44.jpg

While we waited for our desserts, Emily showed me the picture she traced in the Oceaneer Lab. She loves the crafts and art projects offered in the kids' clubs.

37.jpg

45.jpg

Jimmy and I both ordered cheesecake.

46.jpg

47.jpg

Jimmy also had a sundae.

48.jpg

Emily and I also had the crème brulee.

49.jpg

We left dinner and went to Azure to watch the Cabaret. It was fantastic! The Walt Disney Theater performers are so talented.

50.jpg

From the Cabaret, we went straight to the Buena Vista Theater to claim seats for this evening's Premear of Thor: Ragnarok. What a fun movie! We all really enjoyed it.

52.jpg

53.jpg

After the movie, the kids were riled up so they went to the Oceaneer Lab open house while I walked on deck 4. Once the open house ended, we decided to call it a night. Can you guess what sort of weather the forecast predicted for tomorrow?

51.jpg

Up Next...Sloshing through the Panama Canal.

Day 11, Saturday, November, 4, 2017, Panama Canal Transit

I woke a little after 9am. The kids (as I'm sure you can guess) were still sound asleep. Since this was my 3rd time through the Panama Canal, I wasn't in a mad rush to get up on deck. I showered, ate the cheesecake I'd saved from last night's dinner for breakfast (Oh yeah!), and finally went up to deck 9 to check out the action. We were already in Gatun Lake. The temperature was reasonable. Though it was clear by the soaked deck that it had rained earlier and the dark clouds overhead hinted at more to come.

1.jpg

Though the bow was still packed with passengers, the early-morning crowds had already thinned along the rest of decks 9 and 10.

62.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

At the bow of the ship, tables of warm cookies, coffee, cocoa, and water were set out.

9.jpg

Also, CMs were wandering around passing out shrimp cocktails and smoothies. I sampled a honeydew smoothie. I didn't care for it (but the mango one I had later in the day was delectable).

12.jpg

View attachment 311999

13.jpg

14.jpg

I collected a couple of warm cookies for the kids and returned to the cabin. Emily was awake. She was hungry so she and I went to Cabana's. It was lunchtime.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter