Illumination’s Villain-Con Minion Blast (Grand Opening Aug 11) and Cafe

atricks

DIS Veteran
Just announced,

stand up moving walkway blaster attraction where Shrek 4D used to be.

"
The attraction, Illumination's Villain-Con Minion Blast, is an interactive, blaster game experience inspired by the popular movie franchise that will combine "innovative screen technology, state-of-the-art gaming interactivity and elaborate physical sets to create a one-of-a-kind, game-based adventure where guests encounter immersive environments, nefarious villains and tons of mischievous Minions," according to a release from Universal.
Its storyline pulls from the plot of the most recent minion movie, Minions: The Rise of Gru and takes participants to Villain-Con — the biggest criminal convention on the planet — to take part in a competition to see if they have what it takes to become the newest member of The Vicious 6, a notorious group of supervillains from the movie.
Guests who are up for the challenge will grab an interactive blaster and step onto a "motion-based pathway" — essentially a moving walkway like the ones park-goers use to board Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure in the Wizarding World or the Haunted Mansion ride at Disney's Magic Kingdom). They'll wind through various scenes and earn points by blasting different items and causing as much chaos and destruction as possible.

The forthcoming attraction will be part of a new Minion Land that will also include the existing Despicable Me Minion Mayhem attraction, and a new Minion Café. All will be unveiled in summer 2023. "

"The interactive blaster game experience will have visitors competing to join The Vicious 6. With blasters in hand, visitors will step onto a moving pathway that will take them around different scenes. They will earn points (and cause mayhem) by blasting a variety of objects. The attraction will combine screen technology, gaming interactivity and physical sets."

Interesting that they gone with a blaster type attraction.

Men in black is same concept but become very dated.

Rumors were that fear factor closing was to expand the potter area.

But with more potter going to epic universe and they not starting taking fear factor down I wonder if they are waiting to new minions attraction opens then men in black gets demolished at same time as fear factor and they go with a whole new theme rather than potter with quite a big area to work with probably could a nice coaster and couple of family attractions in that area.

Hopefully someone will… today was our departure day and the location was mobbed with people so we didn’t take the time to try anything out. We’ll be back soon though.
Does anyone have any food and drink reviews?
Take it with a grain of salt but here is a review I found…

I enjoy watching informative videos by The Pugh Two and also Taylor Strickland (Orlando Informer) if anyone wants to watch their reviews:

Last edited:
I went yesterday. It was pretty solid. Had the meatball mountain. The crust, sauce and cheese I thought were really good for theme park food. Honestly did not like the meatballs, but I've read reviews where other people do like them. Had the swiss cake roll as well. Comes with a little chocolate/custard banana which was delicious. Had the tater tots as well which were a good alternative to the typical theme park fries you get.

Overall, I like this place. Theme park food is becoming too similar. Every place mostly seems to have burger, chicken tenders, fries and pizza. This has new selections and even old selections are done creatively. Some of the newer restaurants that have opened in Universal have focused on different foods. I'm hoping Epic Universe continues this trend

I went yesterday. It was pretty solid. Had the meatball mountain. The crust, sauce and cheese I thought were really good for theme park food. Honestly did not like the meatballs, but I've read reviews where other people do like them. Had the swiss cake roll as well. Comes with a little chocolate/custard banana which was delicious. Had the tater tots as well which were a good alternative to the typical theme park fries you get.

Overall, I like this place. Theme park food is becoming too similar. Every place mostly seems to have burger, chicken tenders, fries and pizza. This has new selections and even old selections are done creatively. Some of the newer restaurants that have opened in Universal have focused on different foods. I'm hoping Epic Universe continues this trend
Thanks for this review! I’m excited to try it soon.

We got to experience the attraction Sunday the 16th during the soft opening. The wait time was posted at 50 minutes, but we were off the attraction in 45. I love shooting rides/games, but this one was just okay for me. The theming was great, but the actual game just felt very chaotic, and none of us really knew what we were supposed to be doing or what the "power-ups" actually did. It might just take a couple more times to figure it out, but they definitely could have done a better job explaining the objective. The double trigger gun was pretty cool, as was standing instead of sitting/riding.

We got to experience the attraction Sunday the 16th during the soft opening. The wait time was posted at 50 minutes, but we were off the attraction in 45. I love shooting rides/games, but this one was just okay for me. The theming was great, but the actual game just felt very chaotic, and none of us really knew what we were supposed to be doing or what the "power-ups" actually did. It might just take a couple more times to figure it out, but they definitely could have done a better job explaining the objective. The double trigger gun was pretty cool, as was standing instead of sitting/riding.
i've been hearing the game play is not great - I know its in technical preview so in theory maybe they will improve it - but IDK - look forward to trying it myself

I’ve been really looking forward to it, especially with Kid Zone closed. The reviews don’t seem very promising. It seems like it’s pretty confusing, even for adults, so I don’t know how kids are going to fare. The walkway design is also a concern. One person said she got clocked in the head with a blaster by an enthusiastic but careless guest. I imagine that could be an issue without designated distances from other people. My kid will still be there next month cos playing as a minion, and I know we’ll have fun, but I was hoping for a more encouraging opening. What are the chances they’ll implement real changes as a result of the soft opening?

How many of those movies do I have to watch in order to understand this attraction? I've seen DM and DM2, but that's it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter