I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear I read the posts on this, but now can't find it...for the Walmart Chase pay deal, can I order $250 of Walmart e-gift cards, and then use those in-store to buy Disney gift cards? If so, do I need to add something else to my purchase or could I get just the Disney gift cards? Thanks!

I swear I read the posts on this, but now can't find it...for the Walmart Chase pay deal, can I order $250 of Walmart e-gift cards, and then use those in-store to buy Disney gift cards? If so, do I need to add something else to my purchase or could I get just the Disney gift cards? Thanks!

This is what I did and it worked yesterday at Sams Club.

I'd skip it. Find a card that gives you a sign up bonus of over $120 and save yourself 12 trips a year to JCP to buy $10 worth of free socks and underwear. Yes, it could be $120/year over the next few years- but JCP could realistically go out of business or close stores in your area in the next couple years. Just saying. Also, at 12 trips a year you will end up spending money there you otherwise might not have, I've learned my resistance to impulse buying isn't as strong as like to think it is... (Oh, fyi $10 of $10+ your total purchase can't be under $10.) Also, we recently received notice our JCP card will become a JCP MasterCard, changing it from a store card to a use anywhere credit card and therefore falling under 5/24. REALLY wouldn't use a spot for this card!
Just an FYI you can opt out of the MasterCard, there was a number on the letter for an automated service where you could call and opt to keep the store card. Mine had a deadline of July 25th though, but I did opt out.
I have Penneys card, but we got in 1993 when we were very young and my son was 6 weeks early and I had been on bedrest, so we needed a MAJOR baby shopping spree and needed the discount and couldn't pay all cash. I am not shopping there at the moment though, because they are now cracking down on returns. I have never returned without a receipt, but I do return a fair amount. I can only wear long jeans that they don't carry in stores, so I have to order a few online and return the ones that don't fit. Last return in June, the register spit out a form saying I can't return anything else for 180 days. So I haven't been in there since.

This is what I did and it worked yesterday at Sams Club.

Thanks! I don't have a Sam's club membership, though, so would have to use these at Walmart directly. We don't regularly shop at Walmart so I don't want to get stuck with $250 of Walmart cards that would take me forever to use on Walmart merchandise.

Not credit card related, but since we're all trying to save money I'm cross posting this here...

When you buy a $10+ Starbucks eGift card using Visa Checkout, you get a $10 bonus (for a total of $20 Starbucks eGift card): https://starbucks-promotion.cashstar.com

This promotion is limited to the first 225,000 people, so HURRY. It's still working as of this posting. I also noticed it's processed through CashStar, so you may want to use an Ink card with Visa Checkout because it might trigger bonus UR points.

The bonus is reflected at checkout (no waiting a day or more to receive the bonus), and I received a $20 Starbucks eGift card almost immediately after submitting my order.

Good luck!
Got mine too! Thanks!

Thanks! I don't have a Sam's club membership, though, so would have to use these at Walmart directly. We don't regularly shop at Walmart so I don't want to get stuck with $250 of Walmart cards that would take me forever to use on Walmart merchandise.
No one has reported trying it at Walmart. It's only been reported to be successful at Sam's Club.

Not credit card related, but since we're all trying to save money I'm cross posting this here...

When you buy a $10+ Starbucks eGift card using Visa Checkout, you get a $10 bonus (for a total of $20 Starbucks eGift card): https://starbucks-promotion.cashstar.com

This promotion is limited to the first 225,000 people, so HURRY. It's still working as of this posting. I also noticed it's processed through CashStar, so you may want to use an Ink card with Visa Checkout because it might trigger bonus UR points.

The bonus is reflected at checkout (no waiting a day or more to receive the bonus), and I received a $20 Starbucks eGift card almost immediately after submitting my order.

Good luck!

Still working as of a few minutes ago when I got mine. Thanks!

Just an FYI you can opt out of the MasterCard, there was a number on the letter for an automated service where you could call and opt to keep the store card. Mine had a deadline of July 25th though, but I did opt out.
I have Penneys card, but we got in 1993 when we were very young and my son was 6 weeks early and I had been on bedrest, so we needed a MAJOR baby shopping spree and needed the discount and couldn't pay all cash. I am not shopping there at the moment though, because they are now cracking down on returns. I have never returned without a receipt, but I do return a fair amount. I can only wear long jeans that they don't carry in stores, so I have to order a few online and return the ones that don't fit. Last return in June, the register spit out a form saying I can't return anything else for 180 days. So I haven't been in there since.
Excellent to know! I was thinking we'd keep it- it won't show up as a new credit card on the credit report right? We got it years ago so I didn't see any harm in letting it become a MasterCard... And- ohmygosh! 180 days of no returns? I'd stop shopping there for a long while too!

Excellent to know! I was thinking we'd keep it- it won't show up as a new credit card on the credit report right? We got it years ago so I didn't see any harm in letting it become a MasterCard... And- ohmygosh! 180 days of no returns? I'd stop shopping there for a long while too!
It shouldn't show up on your credit report. I had my Target store card changed to MasterCard and it just shows on my report as the day I opened the Target store card.

It shouldn't show up on your credit report. I had my Target store card changed to MasterCard and it just shows on my report as the day I opened the Target store card.
When I asked on this thread a couple of months ago, others thought it would show up as a new card on my credit report.

I've used a physical Walmart GC to buy a Disney GC (just last week) at self checkout, no issues. I've read about people using eGCs successfully, but I've had no personal experience.

I believe if you book a cruise through ur, they are your TA effectively. So you couldn't erase the cost with more than one card. I'm not sure you can pay with gift cards either when using UR. For me it made more sense to book through Costco and pay with gift cards and save my ur points for other stuff (plane tickets, etc.)

You can book with UR using points but points can only be applied once at the time of booking. Additional payments can be made at any time and in any amount. Since they are acting as a travel agent, they should take any form of payment other agents accept. So any credit card, not just Chase but you should work. They should also be able to apply gift cards and cruise discount certificates just like any other TA. I would call to verify.

You can book with UR using points but points can only be applied once at the time of booking. Additional payments can be made at any time and in any amount. Since they are acting as a travel agent, they should take any form of payment other agents accept. So any credit card, not just Chase but you should work. They should also be able to apply gift cards and cruise discount certificates just like any other TA. I would call to verify.

last time i tried using my citi premier card, it wouldnt let me.

No one has reported trying it at Walmart. It's only been reported to be successful at Sam's Club.

I have been able to use Walmart gift cards to buy Disney gift cards at Walmart. I just did it a few weeks ago with physical gift cards. I can't seem to get the e-giftcards to ship to me, the orders always get cancelled.

Ok,the flight is 80k aa points or $325 Oop. What's my best plan of action?
We are currently in the middle of meeting spend on our CIP but I have non-business spend I can put towards a new bonus.
Thanks!!!!

@gottalovepluto gave a great assessment. If you go straight median value of points assessment then paying with points would be the way to go. But that still wouldn't be the right answer for everyone.

Personally, I'm going to pay OOP if I can. I will also be considering my opportunity cost/value. I'd rather earn 3-5 points per dollar with the CSR or Amex plat card plus the butt in seat miles. I know 80,000 AA miles can get me to Japan in first class on a JAL suite. 80k AA miles will get me to Europe in first on a saver award. There's no way I'd want to spend 80k AA miles on a RT domestic (assuming non saver economy) flight even though we have over one million AA miles. We also fly for vacations and weekend getaways several times a year. I know the miles will not be sitting there in my account on the verge of expiring, ever. I also know that I can usually get UR value for more than 1.5 so I'd be reluctant to pay with UR points for the flight. I would only use miles for the 80K economy domestic ticket when the cost is out of budget at the time that I need it and it's an emergency so miles are my only option.

Now, if we are talking first class RT domestic ticket for a long flight, then yes I'd drop 80K AA miles but not if OOP is $325. Basically, there are no hard and fast rules. Everyone has got to do what works best for them. I hope that helps.

I have been able to use Walmart gift cards to buy Disney gift cards at Walmart. I just did it a few weeks ago with physical gift cards. I can't seem to get the e-giftcards to ship to me, the orders always get cancelled.

So Walmart carries Disney gift cards? I was just going to ask that. I have a Walmart Neighborhood Market that doesn't carry Disney, but I did purchase Starbucks using a physical gift card at self-checkout. The nearest regular Walmart is about 15 miles away, so not super convenient, but if DS and I each max out the Chase Pay offer, it would be worth the trip. I don't have a Sam's Club membership and the nearest store is over 100 miles away so that isn't an option.

I'm only ordering physical Walmart gift cards because I had problems using an e-gift card in-store. No problems with them being willing to take them, it just that the cashier just couldn't get it to scan and had to call over a manager, who also struggled with it.

My understanding was UR was basically Expedia. To my knowledge, I can't use gift cards to pay for something I booked on Expedia. Not 100% sure though.

ETA the FAQs say points or chase card to pay.

Last edited:

Good luck!
Thanks for the heads up! Got mine. I usually wait for these promos as I'm not a huge Starbucks drinker but will take free. Love to save for vacations

last time i tried using my citi premier card, it wouldnt let me.

To apply additional payments, you would have to call in to Chase Travel. I have no way to do this online for my current cruise booking. I have a feeling that on the phone you can give them any credit card you wish to make the payment. Only way to know for sure is to try it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter