I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my Chase accounts no longer reflect my Fairmont and instead CSP is listed. I haven't received the card yet, but have to admit I'm sad although I knew it was coming August 15th. I received the Fairmont at the end of its offering and has a wonderful stay at the Vancouver Pacific Rim with upgrades and special treats-probably the nicest hotel (or tied with BCN Ritz) in which I've had the privilege of staying. I did check my Fairmont member status and it hasn't been downgraded (yet). Suspect at the first of the year that will happen if not before. Boo.

On the bright side, I used AmEx offer and received 30% off a year of kindle unlimited. So I'm still finding offers I can use in that arena.

Since I was on Chase's site, I sm'd and requested a PC from CSR. Since I now have a CSP I didn't request/want/need there is no need for me to have 2 premium products when the UR points just aren't that valuable to me. Add in the July hotel issues and their travel portal just wasn't worth it (to me). I believe my anniversary is Sept 1 so we'll see what the response is.

I'm in the process of making a keep/downgrade/cancel list and firming up my plans for the next year. I'm sure some patterns will be interesting and I'm excited to streamline and perfect my credit card use.

According to DoC: "Cardmembers will continue to earn Premier Status through February 28, 2018 (unless they close their Fairmont account)." https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chas...d-chase-sapphire-preferred-cards-need-knowdo/

I'm hoping that's true because we have a Fairmont stay planned for Feb. 16-18

Thanks for the reference!

Where are you staying? I'm now trying to figure out if there is somewhere I can go to use my last little bit of status (and Willow Stream/rest credits):)

Thanks for the reference!

Where are you staying? I'm now trying to figure out if there is somewhere I can go to use my last little bit of status (and Willow Stream/rest credits):)

We are staying at the Savoy in London, which was booked months and months ago. I would call the Fairmont reservations people -- they were really helpful when I called and said I wanted to book the Savoy any weekend in February.

Planning on app for Hyatt card for stay in summer 2019. So the free night is given at 1 yr anniversary and is good for 12 months, so September is good to apply?

Sounds wonderful! :)

I know - I'm really excited! I was actually surprised that I was able to book it, even calling as far ahead as I did. This will be our first full-fledged travel-hacking trip, with the hotels and airfare paid for entirely with credit card rewards. (We are going mostly because I want to see the Harry Potter exhibit at the British Library, a trip I don't think I would have thought worth the cost if we were paying out-of-pocket.)

Spoke with my dad over the weekend and explained the Amex phone bill offer to him. DH and I are on a family plan and pay $60 per month, to my dad, for our phone service. I asked him if I could go into the account and make payments for $600 using my two Amex cards. He said that it was fine. So I am basically prepaying our phone bill for 10 months and getting 6k MR points in return. So between cable and phone, that means we will have an extra 12k MR points. No immediate plans to use them (maybe for flights to Venice, if we need more Delta points), but I figure why not get a great return on something I was going to end up spending anyways?

And we are now less than $250 away from hitting the 2k minimum spend on the IHG card. Also no immediate plans for those points, but I know they will come in handy when we take some driving vacations in the future.

Someone posted on here about potential increased offers for the CSP starting in September. Anyone else heard anything regarding this? Fingers crossed this is true, but if this is the case, then I will have DH apply for that card next month. We will have to finish buying baby things that we don't get as gifts from our registry, so I anticipate that will get us over $1k in spend right there. This will put us in a good position for getting flights to Venice either through the UR portal or with Delta points, whichever turns out to be the better deal.

I was able to product change both our fairmont cards to Freedom yesterday by sm without a problem. And I transferred the UR points that converted from Fairmont points to reserve right away.

Today, I was able to register for the 5x quarterly bonus online. I will use my fairmont card at lunch today and will see if I get 5x.

Spoke with my dad over the weekend and explained the Amex phone bill offer to him. DH and I are on a family plan and pay $60 per month, to my dad, for our phone service. I asked him if I could go into the account and make payments for $600 using my two Amex cards. He said that it was fine. So I am basically prepaying our phone bill for 10 months and getting 6k MR points in return. So between cable and phone, that means we will have an extra 12k MR points. No immediate plans to use them (maybe for flights to Venice, if we need more Delta points), but I figure why not get a great return on something I was going to end up spending anyways?

I want to help my in-laws with this... we didn't get this or the tv offer on our cards, but they got 1 phone and 2 tv offers between their two cards. I figure that I can do the legwork to save them $90 since they've helped us out so much :)

Someone posted on here about potential increased offers for the CSP starting in September. Anyone else heard anything regarding this?

I missed this... that would be interesting. Chase matches for your first 90 days typically, right? I was thinking of getting this, but want to by the end of the month so I have it for what I plan on using for my minimum spend at the beginning of September.

I want to help my in-laws with this... we didn't get this or the tv offer on our cards, but they got 1 phone and 2 tv offers between their two cards. I figure that I can do the legwork to save them $90 since they've helped us out so much :)

I missed this... that would be interesting. Chase matches for your first 90 days typically, right? I was thinking of getting this, but want to by the end of the month so I have it for what I plan on using for my minimum spend at the beginning of September.

There are lots of data points for Chase matching offers. I had luck with them matching the 100k IHG offer (registered under the 80k), so if they do increase the bonus in September, then you probably have a good chance of getting a match. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, so not sure if there will be an increase, but something like 75k UR would be really, really nice.

Someone posted on here about potential increased offers for the CSP starting in September. Anyone else heard anything regarding this? Fingers crossed this is true, but if this is the case, then I will have DH apply for that card next month. We will have to finish buying baby things that we don't get as gifts from our registry, so I anticipate that will get us over $1k in spend right there. This will put us in a good position for getting flights to Venice either through the UR portal or with Delta points, whichever turns out to be the better deal.

What company are u paying into? When i did mine, i had both offers available, both triggers with ATT. so basically i got 20% off my ATT bill. You may not need to pay double to trigger the deal.

Historically yes. but CSP has been at 50k for the longest time. CSR also came out last year this time. But im not sure what would change. My guess perhaps is CSR might increase?

There are lots of data points for Chase matching offers. I had luck with them matching the 100k IHG offer (registered under the 80k), so if they do increase the bonus in September, then you probably have a good chance of getting a match. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, so not sure if there will be an increase, but something like 75k UR would be really, really nice.

Chase will match you within 90 days. Ive done this twice. i guess my luck of the increase bonus happened within 90 days. CSP, 40k--> 50K. Ink+ 60k--> 70k. had to fight the 70k though. i took them over a week and 3 different SMs to get them to match me.

Last edited:
Historically yes. but CSP has been at 50k for the longest time. CSR also came out last year this time. But im not sure what would change. My guess perhaps is CSR might increase?

Chase will match you within 90 days. Ive done this twice. i guess my luck of the increase bonus happened within 90 days. CSP, 40k--> 50K. Ink+ 60k--> 70k.

I did a search and the last time there was an increased offer on the CSP, it was for 70k +5k for AU in November 2016.

What company are u paying into? When i did mine, i had both offers available, both triggers with ATT. so basically i got 20% off my ATT bill. You may not need to pay double to trigger the deal.

Phone is with Sprint and cable is with Comcast, so neither double triggered the bonus.

My CSR was hacked. Ugh.
Good thing I'm obsessive about checking my accounts online. I caught two pending charges this morning and was able to stop them from going through. The first was a small charge to an online job search company (I'm assuming to check and see if the charge would be successful) and the second was to a Hilton for over $400. They cancelled my card immediately and are sending out a new one. I'm guessing this will mess with my 5/24 clock. I got the card in February, so it would have dropped off at 02/19, but now it won't drop off until 08/19 unless they somehow keep the original opening date on my credit report.
A friend said I should have let the charges post before calling because I might have been able to keep the 3x points on the Hilton charge. :laughing:

My CSR was hacked. Ugh.
Good thing I'm obsessive about checking my accounts online. I caught two pending charges this morning and was able to stop them from going through. The first was a small charge to an online job search company (I'm assuming to check and see if the charge would be successful) and the second was to a Hilton for over $400. They cancelled my card immediately and are sending out a new one. I'm guessing this will mess with my 5/24 clock. I got the card in February, so it would have dropped off at 02/19, but now it won't drop off until 08/19 unless they somehow keep the original opening date on my credit report.
A friend said I should have let the charges post before calling because I might have been able to keep the 3x points on the Hilton charge. :laughing:
That sucks, glad you caught it quickly. I check most of my accounts frequently (except Discover which I don't use much, off to check)
Hmm. It should keep your original date. I haven't had a card hacked in awhile but it happened to my Discover twice. The new card still says "member since 1988" and not on my credit report as a new pull.

That sucks, glad you caught it quickly. I check most of my accounts frequently (except Discover which I don't use much, off to check)
Hmm. It should keep your original date. I haven't had a card hacked in awhile but it happened to my Discover twice. The new card still says "member since 1988" and not on my credit report as a new pull.
Oh I hope you're right. They did say they'd be reporting the closure to the credit bureaus, so I wasn't sure how that would affect things.
They asked if standard shipping of the cards was okay, and I was like, "I don't care about the cards, just don't let anything happen to my Ultimate Rewards!!"

I wonder if I'll have to sign up for the PP and National Car cards again since the account number is different.

My CSR was hacked. Ugh.
Ack! Good catch! And no, it won't mess with your 5/24 :)

Planning on app for Hyatt card for stay in summer 2019. So the free night is given at 1 yr anniversary and is good for 12 months, so September is good to apply?
I'm guessing now? the free night usually comes into acct when the date hits,at least it does on IHG acct....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter