I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using my Amex Blue Cash Preferred to buy Disney Gift Cards at a 6% discount. I want to make sure I'm getting the best deal because we spend a LOT of money at Disney so even another 1% is significant! Between DH and myself we have the regular Disney Visa, CIP, CSR, CSP, SW Plus And Premier( we fly SW almost exclusively) as well as the Amex BCP. We are also BJ's members and have a Target Red Card (debit). Is using my Amex still my best option ??

If you are hitting the $6K grocery store cap with the Amex, you can supplement with a Chase Freedom at 5% (I use 2 of them) for an additional $1500 of spend during the grocery store quarter and the gas station quarter if you can find the gift cards you need at a gas station also (I can in my area). If both apply, that would give you an additional $6K/yr of spend if using 2 Freedoms. Also, last year, clubs/warehouses were added to the final quarter of the year which would give you an additional $3K. Depending on your needs, you could then transfer those points directly to SW via one of the premium chase cards you listed.

I'm not even sure if I'm eligible for this but I saw an offer on the Amex Offers for Twitter website that says if you spend $150+ at Marriott that you'd get $30 back. I was planning on paying for our next Marriott stay (that will be about $500) with my CSP so I can get the 2x points (it works on hotels, right?).

The value of points is still confusing to me, so I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice. Thanks!

I've been using my Amex Blue Cash Preferred to buy Disney Gift Cards at a 6% discount. I want to make sure I'm getting the best deal because we spend a LOT of money at Disney so even another 1% is significant! Between DH and myself we have the regular Disney Visa, CIP, CSR, CSP, SW Plus And Premier( we fly SW almost exclusively) as well as the Amex BCP. We are also BJ's members and have a Target Red Card (debit). Is using my Amex still my best option ??

I would do it a little different. You're getting 6% cash back right now, but BJ's has gift cards at 5% off and you can use whatever card you want to get an additional discount. I have been purchasing from there with the Citi Double Cash card that gives 2% cash back, which means I am netting 7% off gift cards. I'm just now getting into the Chase UR game, so I would use the Freedom if the quarterly is for warehouses. If not, use the CSR or CSP and TPG values their points a little over 2 cents each, so that means you would effectively be getting over 7% off the gift cards. Depends on how you use your points, but even if you use them out of the UR portal, you are getting better than 6%. Just would have some tied up in points and not all cash back.

I'm not even sure if I'm eligible for this but I saw an offer on the Amex Offers for Twitter website that says if you spend $150+ at Marriott that you'd get $30 back. I was planning on paying for our next Marriott stay (that will be about $500) with my CSP so I can get the 2x points (it works on hotels, right?).

The value of points is still confusing to me, so I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice. Thanks!

I would use your Amex that gives you $30 off. $500 spend on CSP is worth 1,000 points, valued at 2 cents each is worth a little more than $20. Unless you need the $500 to meet your initial spend.

I'm new to this as well, so someone please correct me if I am thinking about it wrong. But, that's my line of thinking.

1. Make sure you actual enroll in the offer. You can confirm this on the offers section of your Amex.
2. Math!! CSP=2% off your purchase, pretty easy there. 30/150=20% off. Ideally you'd charge the closest amount over $150 that you can to your Amex with the offer (not an AU, use the exact card that has the offer) and the rest on your CSP. Idk if Marriott will split your bill, I would think it is possible.

I would use your Amex that gives you $30 off. $500 spend on CSP is worth 1,000 points, valued at 2 cents each is worth a little more than $20. Unless you need the $500 to meet your initial spend.

I'm new to this as well, so someone please correct me if I am thinking about it wrong. But, that's my line of thinking.

1. Make sure you actual enroll in the offer. You can confirm this on the offers section of your Amex.
2. Math!! CSP=2% off your purchase, pretty easy there. 30/150=20% off. Ideally you'd charge the closest amount over $150 that you can to your Amex with the offer (not an AU, use the exact card that has the offer) and the rest on your CSP. Idk if Marriott will split your bill, I would think it is possible.

Thanks! I was confused because I've heard the CSP points have a higher value than CF on the UR system, so I wasn't sure if it was calculated that way.

I created a twitter account because it seemed like there might be more offers on there (I haven't checked this for sure, just what it seemed like) than what showed up on the AmEx app. I put in the code, and apparently the offer's not available anymore (reached the max limit). Oh well. I'll keep the Twitter account for future offers.

Thanks again for the help!

If you value straight cash back over variable points that can be used to transfer to airlines and hotels then, maybe. Between DVC dues for 1300 points, Annual passes, ABD trips, and DCL we also spend a LOT of money at Disney too. However, we don't value cash back nearly as much as we do variable points and miles. Our annual dues alone are more than $6,000 but using that as a cut off for the Amex Blue Cash Preferred. 6% back in cash will net me $360. Purchasing gift cards with the Ink+ or Cash at 5x and Freedom with 5x bonuses, will get me 30,000 UR points. When those are transferred to a CSR account they are now worth $450. If you have that combo of cards and spend enough in dining and travel to make the AF on the CSR worth keeping then, even at the cash back option you'd be better off using UR. Of course, that still isn't how I would likely use them. I'd likely use 30,000 UR points transferred to an airline and get an award ticket for a flight that has a $600 or more OOP cash cost. If you are maxing that $6,000 per year cap then I'd definitely add a few more cards to the mix. Freedom with Chase and an Everyday preferred Amex to max the 50% bonus each month.

The $100 payment to my Comcast account posted on my Amex this morning and the 1000 bonus MR points has already been applied. Getting 11x points on my cable bill is definitely nice!

Which card did you have this offer with and what was the offer titled? I looked at all 6 Amex card and didn't find it on any of mine.

What is the Chase recon #... got the 7-10 on the automated line.

1-888-270-2127

In this case, I'd go with the cash back. 1000 UR points with the CSR is worth $12.50 in the UR travel portal. Even as a transfer for a loyalty hotel or airline and getting 2 cents on the point, you are still better off with the Amex offer.

Last edited:

Agree with @gottalovepluto, do a "split tender." Most hotels will have no problem charging your bill to multiple cards. But call ahead to check with your hotel and find out how many cards they'll accept.

I believe the Amex Marriott offer is both targeted and available through Twitter. If it's not already available in your card's offers, make sure your Amex card is connected to your Twitter account and add the offer by tweeting @AmexOffers with the #AmexMarriott hashtag. You should receive a reply that the offer has been added to your connected card and you can check that it's there under the added offers tab.

If you have several Amex cards, you connect them to multiple Twitter accounts and use the same process above to add the offer to each card, then split the hotel bill across any Amex cards that have the Marriott offer added in $150 increments, and put the balance on your CSP.

Thank @calypso726 ... Called and I was at 5/24... Forgot to take into account I was an AU for both DH's cards. One will drop 10/17 but the other on is from this year. How can I get that those off my credit report? Or can I call the recon line and have them take those out of the consideration?

Thank @calypso726 ... Called and I was at 5/24... Forgot to take into account I was an AU for both DH's cards. One will drop 10/17 but the other on is from this year. How can I get that those off my credit report? Or can I call the recon line and have them take those out of the consideration?
You can HUCA a few times to see if you can get Chase to take it out of consideration. It took me 3 times. First one flatly would not take it out of consideration, 2nd rep asked me a bajillion q's about it and then wouldn't take it out of consideration. I waited 8 hours thinking maybe I could get a different shift of people (the 2nd rep had left to supposedly go talk to a manager) and then I called and said something like "I believe I have been denied because of too many accounts opened recently but one of those accounts I'm an AU on, I'd like the application re-considered without that account." Also, you have no responsibility for the AU account and if they ask you do not use the AU account.

I'm cross-posting this from the Disneyland forum. I'm trying to find out what LMT (aka Last Minute Travel) codes as on credit cards. (I'd like to use my recently acquired Barclay Arrival Plus miles for Disneyland tickets.) It's not gonna bust my budget or anything if the Arrival miles won't cover the purchase but I'd love to know if anyone has tried this or even what LMT has coded as on your credit card?

eBay shipping through PayPal gets 3x, too.
This is great! I will be applying for the CIP when we come back from vacation in late August and I can concentrate on the spending requirements. My business is ebay sales and I probably spend $400/month on shipping.

Thanks! I was confused because I've heard the CSP points have a higher value than CF on the UR system, so I wasn't sure if it was calculated that way.

I created a twitter account because it seemed like there might be more offers on there (I haven't checked this for sure, just what it seemed like) than what showed up on the AmEx app. I put in the code, and apparently the offer's not available anymore (reached the max limit). Oh well. I'll keep the Twitter account for future offers.

Thanks again for the help!
Ah! CSP UR does have a higher value than CF UR if you intend to redeem for travel. I used a cash basis. If you were to redeem for travel you get the extra 25% so your 2% would ultimately turn into 2.5% if you were to redeem for travel through the UR portal (2 (the points you earn) times 1.25 (the UR redemption rate for CSP) = 2.5, so a 2.5% discount). Also remember that (as of right now, as always this is subject to change on Chase's whim) you can transfer your CF points to your CSP thereby turning your CF UR points into CSP UR points!

This is great! I will be applying for the CIP when we come back from vacation in late August and I can concentrate on the spending requirements. My business is ebay sales and I probably spend $400/month on shipping.
LEGIT Ebay seller! Nice!

Which card did you have this offer with and what was the offer titled? I looked at all 6 Amex card and didn't find it on any of mine.

The offer was on both my Amex Everyday Card and my Amex Blue Card. Both are MR earning, not cash back cards. The offer reads:

Spend $100+, get 1,000 Membership Rewards® Points. Up to 3x Points
Save on your cable or satellite TV bill

The offer is good through the middle of November. The way the offer is written, you have to spend $100 at a time. My cable bill is only $71, so I cancelled my auto pay and instead set up scheduled transactions so that my Amex Everyday card is charged $100 three times over the next 2 months. And then I will set up my Amex Blue Card to charge $100 3 more times before the expiration in November. That way, I get 6k MR + 600 MR (for the base spend) for spending just $600 on something I would have spent anyways.

We did it! We flew from Florida on Friday night after work to San Francisco just to see Hamilton! It was awesome. Thanks to travel hacking for the tickets, the lounge access, first class flights and hotel! Got a complimentary massage at the Centurion lounge in Miami. Sitting in the AA lounge in San Francisco now, while waiting for our flight.

(Yes, I am sporting nail art with Hamilton characters. I love my nail tech! I know I'm a dork but don't care.)

View attachment 257377

Off topic I know, but we went to Hamilton yesterday in Chicago. It was great, but not quite as good as School of Rock that we saw in NYC last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter