I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure he's on desktop not app or mobile.
Under "Exclusive offers for PayPal checkout" I added Hot Topic, then the Target one came up in the top banner.
He didn’t have the hot topic or target offers on his desktop. He kept reloading the page and adding offers and it eventually showed up as a deal on the top of the screen. We used our discover to buy a $500 target gc since we get all of our groceries there!

He didn’t have the hot topic or target offers on his desktop. He kept reloading the page and adding offers and it eventually showed up as a deal on the top of the screen. We used our discover to buy a $500 target gc since we get all of our groceries there!
SO I just did what others suggested- added some deals and it popped up- I saved it and bought vgc at target...
nevermind...I checked the pending on my discover and the right price is there...sweet! I use these to prepay my electric bills!

You can ask but neither Chase nor credit bureaus have to remove/disregard AU. I have been denied by both.
The credit bureaus are supposed to remove AU accounts once the person is no longer an AU, there have been reports of people getting active AU accounts off of their report by disputing that they "Are not legally responsible for the debt."

The credit bureaus are supposed to remove AU accounts once the person is no longer an AU, there have been reports of people getting active AU accounts off of their report by disputing that they "Are not legally responsible for the debt."
I did all that. Wrote a letter, appealed, etc., they acknowledged that I was not responsible for debt but refused to remove it and closed the dispute. They MAY remove, but they may not. Also had Chase decline my app for said AU, despite a 40 minute recon where I explained I was not responsible, no longer on account, etc. Came back with "still denied". While appealing may work, I'm just stating that it doesn't always work.

We are looking at going to Napa Valley in November, have never been there and know very little! Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a new hotel card to hopefully have points to use by then. Any thoughts on the Marriott card with 3 free nights? I can probably meet the spend in a month or so since I have a few large purchases coming up, but is it cutting it too close? Hotels out there are crazy expensive!

I assume your husband has Bonvoy Gold Elite status- that should provide a reservation guarantee- which says if they can’t honor your reservation, they’ll PAY for you to stay nearby AND compensate you $200 USD for the inconvenience.
View attachment 601045View attachment 601046
Unfortunately not.

"If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience..."

The key word here is *that* night. What they are describing is when a hotel walks you, ie you and your luggage show up and there is no room at the inn. Blog posts, FT, etc. all concur that the guarantee is only for walked guests, not guests who had their confirmed hotel rooms cancelled prior to arrival. (If this worked for people who had hotels cancelled before arrival it would have been the biggest Covid Travel Hack of 2020 in the churning world ;) )

We are looking at going to Napa Valley in November, have never been there and know very little! Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a new hotel card to hopefully have points to use by then. Any thoughts on the Marriott card with 3 free nights? I can probably meet the spend in a month or so since I have a few large purchases coming up, but is it cutting it too close? Hotels out there are crazy expensive!

Which Marriott hotel were you looking at? If it's one of the category 7's, standard rate is 60k, off peak is 50k. So the free nights would only work if it's off peak. Even if you see it as off peak now, there's a risk that it won't be by the time you get the FNCs. You can do points advance to hold the dates, but it doesn't hold the rate. If you're looking at one of the category 5's or below, then you don't have this problem, but it wouldn't be maximizing the certs.

Napa in early November is beautiful, with the trees and vines changing colors with the seasons, and quieter than summer with harvest and crush over and most of the tourists gone. If you decide to go, make sure you do some research beforehand, as some wineries require reservations for tastings or tours and popular restaurants will also require reservations.

I’m assuming you’re asking about the Chase Marriott Boundless card with 3x 50k FNC. Keep in mind most of Marriott’s nicer properties in the Napa and Sonoma wine countries are Category 7, which means a 50k FNC will only work for off peak nights (standard nights are 60k, peak nights are 70k). You’ll also have to find actual award availability at 50k or less for all 3 nights. And if you do, will there still be availability after you’ve hit your SUB and get the FNCs? I have the Lodge at Sonoma speculatively booked for early November, and it was 70k/night, and as I’m checking my dates again, none of Marriott’s Cat 7 properties in Napa/Sonoma are bookable on points for my dates that weekend. You may have better luck if you can stay during the week. I see a Sheraton in Petaluma that might work. I’ve never stayed at that property, but Petaluma is cute and not too far of a drive to Napa. Otherwise, you’re looking at SpringHill Suites and Fairfield Inn type of accommodations that are only Cat 5 and run for example 40k/40k/35k nights. So if you use your 50k FNCs to book this, you’re shortchanging yourself.

Check the Marriott app or site and see if you can find a specific redemption for those 50k FNCs.

Hope this helps you think through your plans.

Last edited:
No luck. Nothing lower than 240k delta miles. What are delta miles good for? What's the sweet spot with them... obviously not London.

No luck. Nothing lower than 240k delta miles. What are delta miles good for? What's the sweet spot with them... obviously not London.

Aside from Delta being my favorite airline (less cancellations, better seat options, on time arrivals, etc.), I tend to get really good value on most domestic flights. It may be in part that I'm locked behind their ATL hub coming from Florida, but almost every one of my redemptions in the past 3 years have been > 1.3 cpp. I also really like flying direct into Minneapolis and Detroit.

Where are you leaving from and what dates are you looking for? I'm seeing 210 RT non-stop from MSP-LHR in April. Same for MSP-AMS-LHR.

I'm playing with dates and looks like I could get there and back for 240k. Non stop there and layover on the way back.

Napa in early November is beautiful, with the trees and vines changing colors with the seasons, and quieter than summer with harvest and crush over and most of the tourists gone. If you decide to go, make sure you do some research beforehand, as some wineries require reservations for tastings or tours and popular restaurants will also require reservations.

I’m assuming you’re asking about the Chase Marriott Boundless card with 3x 50k FNC. Keep in mind most of Marriott’s nicer properties in the Napa and Sonoma wine countries are Category 7, which means a 50k FNC will only work for off peak nights (standard nights are 60k, peak nights are 70k). You’ll also have to find actual award availability at 50k or less for all 3 nights. And if you do, will there still be availability after you’ve hit your SUB and get the FNCs? I have the Lodge at Sonoma speculatively booked for early November, and it was 70k/night, and as I’m checking my dates again, none of Marriott’s Cat 7 properties in Napa/Sonoma are bookable on points for my dates that weekend. You may have better luck if you can stay during the week. I see a Sheraton in Petaluma that might work. I’ve never stayed at that property, but Petaluma is cute and not too far of a drive to Napa. Otherwise, you’re looking at SpringHill Suites and Fairfield Inn type of accommodations that are only Cat 5 and run for example 40k/40k/35k nights. So if you use your 50k FNCs to book this, you’re shortchanging yourself.

Check the Marriott app or site and see if you can find a specific redemption for those 50k FNCs.

Hope this helps you think through your plans.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I think the time frame is too tight to do this so we may end up just going the AIRBNB route for this trip.

I'm looking late October-early November. IAD-LHR-LAX.
Couple of issues, lack of flights due to the massive ax the schedule took over the last three weeks. It's not far enough out to get the best prices, and not returning where you started from are all working against you. Add in the hassles and questions about admissibility right now. Good luck.
Domestically I got 1.7 cpp on my WDW vacation in 2019 and I'm looking at 1.9 for my work trip in October. Usually you get 1.3-1.6 cpp. Sometimes more depending on what you can get internationally.

Couple of issues, lack of flights due to the massive ax the schedule took over the last three weeks. It's not far enough out to get the best prices, and not returning where you started from are all working against you. Add in the hassles and questions about admissibility right now. Good luck.
Domestically I got 1.7 cpp on my WDW vacation in 2019 and I'm looking at 1.9 for my work trip in October. Usually you get 1.3-1.6 cpp. Sometimes more depending on what you can get internationally.
I appreciate the input. I very rarely fly delta so I'm pretty much a neophyte. Given my experience with AA and UA, the numbers looked high... and when you add in the fuel surcharges, it's madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter