I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Platinum AF hit 6/24. I need to cancel it within 30 days? I got a retention offer last year so I know that's off the table. Just want to order something from Saks but it is a pre-order to ship no later than 7/11 so I need to make sure the item ships, I'm charged, and I get the credit before I cancel. Otherwise I can just drive to Saks and buy a gift card but it's about 30 minutes away and I usually only go when the dog is getting groomed.
I ordered a pre-order item in early Nov that should have shipped I believe late Nov. I finally canceled it in late January and obviously did not max out the Saks credit at the end of last year (I had ordered 2 items). They just kept extending the ship date. I don't plan to get anything on pre-order with that credit.

Authorized user question. I have Chase SP and DH is authorized user. Am I able to support him to get his own card while he is still an authorized user on my account or does that automatically preclude him from getting his own Chase SP through my referral?
You can send him a support link to open his own while he is an AU on your card

I always pay with CC for DD's tuition. I try to get a card with a high MSR + high rewards and it's worked out well for me. Yes, there is a "convenience fee" and some people don't want to pay for that but I've run the numbers and it's always been worth it. Not only that, but I think it's paid off in the Keeping Amex Happy sense-putting that kind of spend on their cards means I've received some really impressive retention offers this year-from $150 on my biz green to $100 on my no AF BBP to $595 on my biz plat...as well as assisting me earn Platinum Medallion SkyMiles status (which, if one looks at the bloggers is worth anywhere from around $500-$2K).

I'm quoting myself to update y'all on my tuition payment. DD's tuition was around $20K (still waiting for one charge of another $2k).

I put the first $15K on DH's new Amex Biz Plat -that earned 172.5K MRs (he had the $15K for 150K plus anything over $5K earns 1.5x MRs).

cost-AF $595 + $427 (the college processor charges 2.85%)= $1022
value (I have 2 amounts-CS cash out at 1.25 cpp and my valuation 2 cpp) $2156/$3450

total value (minus the credits, etc-I'm trying to keep it simple!) cash out with CS plat-$1134 or

use as I do with MRs transferred to British Airways/ Flying Blue for international flights (primarily)-$2428

the next $2K I used on my BBP which had the Amex Offer of $25 credit for $500 spend-broke it up into 6 payments

cost- processor fees $85.50,
statement credit from Amex offer $150
6K MR value $75 (CS) or $120 (my valuation)

total value $139.50 (CS) , $184.5 (my valuation)

final $2K

DH had an add AU, get 20K MR offer so the final $2K went on DD's new Amex Plat AU

cost- $175 (AU fee) + $57 (processor fee) =$232
valuation 22K MRs $275 (CS) or $440 (my valuation)

total value $43 (CS) or $208 (my valuation)

Overall, I assess my value from paying tuition with credit cards (all American Express) as $2820.50, which doesn't include the credits from Amex nor the value of lounge access for DD when flying to and from university.

DH's MR stash is now fattened up by 194.5K MRs (and mine all of 6K lol).

Clearly, others might value Amex MRs much less at the cash out (without CS) value of 0.7 cpp, or the future CS cash out of 1.1 cpp. This is why our hobby is so fun-it has so many different options! If I were under 5/24, I might have done a Chase CIU/CIC double dip for the first $15K and earned URs v. MRs. Or, I might have combined MR and Chase (or Citi or BoA) cards.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my numbers since I know that processing fees often put people off of charging large amounts and wanted to show how it's more than worth it for me, at this stage of my life anyway.

Booked a night at Portofino with the new Platinum credit. Hopefully it will post quickly. My 30 days to cancel the card and refund the fee runs out on July 21st. I got a retention offer last year on June 5th so I am going to try to chat next week for another one since 13 months will have gone by. If it fails I will try on the phone I guess before cancelling July 20th.

Booked the Swan Reserve with 5th night free. When I first booked it, 4 nights were 60k and 1 night 50k (so got that free). Then one more night dropped to 50k and I rebooked. Now another night's dropped, rebooked again. Hopefully by the time we go, I can get all nights 50k! 😆🤞 Goes to show it pays to keep checking!

:flower1: We had DD & her DH over for dinner a few weeks ago and she gave a flimsy excuse as to why she was not drinking. We figured she was expecting but not ready to announce it. (We were right). She's only 8 weeks so not going on Facebook or anything, but I don't know any of you IRL. Anticipation of grandchildren is why we relocated this spring. Yay! :banana:

Booked a night at Portofino with the new Platinum credit. Hopefully it will post quickly. My 30 days to cancel the card and refund the fee runs out on July 21st. I got a retention offer last year on June 5th so I am going to try to chat next week for another one since 13 months will have gone by. If it fails I will try on the phone I guess before cancelling July 20th.
Will you come back to updates us when the $200 credit post. Thanks!

:flower1: We had DD & her DH over for dinner a few weeks ago and she gave a flimsy excuse as to why she was not drinking. We figured she was expecting but not ready to announce it. (We were right). She's only 8 weeks so not going on Facebook or anything, but I don't know any of you IRL. Anticipation of grandchildren is why we relocated this spring. Yay! :banana:
Aww! Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter