I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sorry you’re going through this. I see HA has reduced its BOS-HNL route to just Sunday and Wednesday. I’d expect they reaccomodate you to one of these flights for the points you paid. Of course, it sounds like your schedule is a lot more complicated than that. I hope you can figure something out.

I’m actually surprised HA is still cutting flights. Our flights to (on UA) and from (on HA) HNL last month were 100% packed.
Yes, that's exactly my situation. They could put us on flights out of BOS on different days, but that doesn't work with our DVC reservation or DH's job. We are roughly equidistant from both airports, but JFK is just more of a hassle to get to, and more expensive to park, so we paid more to fly out of BOS. It stings to pay EVEN MORE now to fly from JFK when the JFK flights were the cheaper option when we booked 9 days ago.

They said they will not refund us any fare differences if the flight cost goes down. Our kids are young enough that sitting together is important, so I didn't want to wait and see if the fare goes down but potentially not be able to sit together. We sucked it up and paid. :-(

What are your plans for them? Because that’s what matters, their valuation is a very personal question.

For instance- personally I would lean hard towards 60k MR as they’re worth $750 to me (I would cash them out via my Schwab plat) while my stash of HH points are currently worth jack as I have yet to spend a single one and don’t have anything in the books for them at this time 🤦🏻‍♀️

I just checked Card Match and I have the 75K offer which seems like a no brainer right? Do I need to apply now? I understand the offer can go at any time, but I won't meet my MSR on my CSP until April sometime.

I would feel sick too, that’s just awful!

Any last minute cash deals on other airlines?
DH will only consider direct flights, which limits us from the East Coast. We have been very CVD-cautious, so going at ALL is a stretch. The fact that everyone on the flight will have been CVD tested negative was the tipping point to say yes to the trip. 2 weeks ago there were connecting flights from our home airport to HNL for under $500!

I just checked Card Match and I have the 75K offer which seems like a no brainer right? Do I need to apply now? I understand the offer can go at any time, but I won't meet my MSR on my CSP until April sometime.

Yes, CardMatch offers have been known to disappear if you hesitate and try to come back to it. It's the best ever offer on the Gold. Don't feel bad about taking it and not using a support link.

I’m about to apply for the Amex Gold. Should I get an AU user card for my husband, or is that a mistake? Will it prevent him from getting his own bonus if he over opens a Gold card?

Don't do it. An AU card will not preclude your husband from getting his own bonus on the Gold card; however, an AU card on a personal Amex card like the Gold will show up on his credit report and get added to his "5/24 count" for purposes of applications with Chase. Amex WILL NOT remove AU cards from a credit report if the authorized user is a spouse.

If you'd like your husband to have access to your Gold card to help with spend, just add your Gold card to his phone's mobile wallet (like Apple Pay or Google Pay).

I’m about to apply for the Amex Gold. Should I get an AU user card for my husband, or is that a mistake? Will it prevent him from getting his own bonus if he over opens a Gold card?

There are times to open AU cards but this is not one of them. AU cards are great vehicles for starting out young family members age 13-18 to build up their credit. And some cards may have attached benefits such as global entry credit that might make it worth it.

In general, steer away from AU cards. Also, steer away from store branded cards, such as Marshall's, or other stores that may offer small items or discounts to get their card. They will add to your 5/24 count and prevent you from getting cards with much more value potential.

Trying to plan my next card... I had my first denial for CIU (business was too new) on 1/18. Should I wait until next month so it's 90 days or do you think I'd be ok to go ahead. I guess I could also explore amex too since I only have the Bonvoy business currently.

Trying to plan my next card... I had my first denial for CIU (business was too new) on 1/18. Should I wait until next month so it's 90 days or do you think I'd be ok to go ahead. I guess I could also explore amex too since I only have the Bonvoy business currently.
Since you weren’t approved for the CIU then, you should be fine to apply now

Last edited:
Ugh, this is the point in playing the game I hate....when there are a ton of things you want to do, but obv you can't do them all.....And they are all Amex, LOL. And I'm under 5/24, but I can't swing the MSR on the Inks right now. And there aren't any other Chase cards calling my name.

1- See if I can finally get the Amex popup gone and get the Plat
2- Jump on the Everyday upgrade offer
3- Look at snagging the free Hilton card
4- Apply for the Delta Plat biz. But now that I think about that one....I wouldn't want to get rid of my Gold biz right now since it has the $10 phone credit. Do we know are the new cards getting the previous credit offers?

I have 3 Amex slots filled (Everyday, Delta Gold Biz and Surpass). I'm assuming the upgrade on the Everyday does nothing really to me (it doesn't take a 5/24, right?). So then it becomes a matter of how many spends can I meet, and if Amex has stopped hating me. I'm guessing the best I could get would be the upgrade offer and 1 other Amex card.

No No No!!! Transfer them to me!! How many Marriott points do you need? Lol
funny.... :rotfl2: Ok I doubt it's a 'great'redemption... but I need some extra bc I'm eyeing a reservation I want for end of year.... However,I think I could also book it,and get the points later right? That would give a chance to get a few more without using UR's.....

Busy week so I’m rewarding myself with a trip to home goods. Swung by staples and they were well stocked so I grabbed another $1000 in visa gift cards. Will convert to mo on the way home. Currently waiting at chick fil a for my three 8 ounce barbecue sauces. Ordered some last week and got home and it was chick fil a sauce which the kids were happy about but I was not.

National Park Question - has anyone here visited Katmai National Park, and specifically Brooks Falls? I managed to score a campsite at Brooks Camp when the permits were released this morning but could only get July 29. I'm worried it will be too late in the month and we'll miss the bears as part of the salmon run.

Also - if anyone has done an Alaska NP trip using points, your insight would be much appreciated. So far I'm researching options to use points for Alaska Airlines and wondering if it's worth trying to get one of their credit cards quickly. It's pretty crazy how much the cash costs are but it doesn't seem like point usage will be super possible.
I don't have any answers, sorry. But I definitely want to hear how it goes. This is on my bucket list - Katmai/Brooks Falls. From my research that seems like it is pushing it (late July). Hopefully you will have luck seeing the bears!

I am also looking at getting my first AMEX card, either the Hilton Surpass - 150K points + $150 credit after 2K spend in 3 months, $95 AF OR the Rose Gold.

Which is more valuable, 60K MR or 150K Hilton points?
60k MR unless you only plan on transferring to Hilton.
If you don't plan on turning CC churning into a career I would get your husband an AU card. How often does your husband pay at a restaurant or a grocery store when you aren't with him? It would also allow you to double up on AMEX Offers. If you plan on getting him 5 cards in his own name in the next 24 months don't, otherwise there is not a reason not to.

They must have gotten the IT bugs fixed. All of my/DH's charges on 3/2 have credits today as well. Nice!
Things from February still pending here 🙄 Aspire $250 resort credit has not posted for me, was there February 13-15. I do have dining credit x2 last month, statement credit for new Hilton Biz and $25 for $100 AMEX offer posted this month already. Hoping I don't need to wait 6 weeks for resort credit.

DW refinanced her student loans a couple years ago through SoFi and I don't remember the exact rate, but it's under 4%. Also elected for a 5-year payoff, the shortest term, and I think that was the only one eligible for the lowest rate. I'm sure things have changed. SoFi had the best rates at the time, though.

Thank you - I actually have an offer on sofi for a $300 bonus for loan applicant and for myself for refinancing a student loan, so we'll definitely look into that one. That would be an extra $600 toward her loan (I'd give her my part if she put it toward her loan)!

I was soooo dumb, I only charged $3006 (mine was $3K spend), and then 2 weeks ago I cancelled our flights which means I had a refund of $22. I can't believe I did it. There goes 60,000 AA miles.

I feel your pain. DH's arrival+ card is the only card I didn't get the signup bonus on and it was a dumb fluke similar to yours that I missed it. It still stings 3 years later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter