I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of the airlines that fly nonstop from your preferred airports (ATL, MCO) are transfer partners of AMEX. The only way you are getting those flights with UR is to to book them through the Chase Travel Portal. I would look at the AMEX Gold card if you don't see much about the Plat that appeals to you, I love the earning structure and in a year I'm sitting on 225,000 points without a SUB. Then you would have a choice of which airline when you are ready to book.

The issue with waiting to get the Plat SUB is that right now it is one of the higher offers. I've seen 125k point SUB which is the highest ever offered, the 100k SUB was called the Platicorn for how rare it was.

After marinating on this and looking at what would be involved, I’ve become much more comfortable with the idea of opening a HA Barclays card and an Amex. Or getting one for me and the other for my husband. He’s willing to play along but he’s forever charging the wrong thing on the wrong card already, so I just need to give him one card and say put everything on this. I’m taking a very hard look at the Gold Amex. Even though I can’t make much use of the dining and Uber credits (because of where I live) the 4X points on groceries and dining would work out much better for me than the points on travel you get with the Platinum. Penciling the math out, it does not look like the extra fee for the Platinum is worth the extra 25K MR. Gold is offering 75K MR right now.

I appreciate everyone’s guidance on this.

Is there an article somewhere that talks about when to close or downgrade a CC so that you avoid recurring annual fees? Is it correct that you want to leave all CC open for at least a year? Specifically, unless we decide we want to go to Hawaii regularly, I won’t have much use for the HA after our trip.

After marinating on this and looking at what would be involved, I’ve become much more comfortable with the idea of opening a HA Barclays card and an Amex. Or getting one for me and the other for my husband. He’s willing to play along but he’s forever charging the wrong thing on the wrong card already, so I just need to give him one card and say put everything on this. I’m taking a very hard look at the Gold Amex. Even though I can’t make much use of the dining and Uber credits (because of where I live) the 4X points on groceries and dining would work out much better for me than the points on travel you get with the Platinum. Penciling the math out, it does not look like the extra fee for the Platinum is worth the extra 25K MR. Gold is offering 75K MR right now.

Is there an article somewhere that talks about when to close or downgrade a CC so that you avoid recurring annual fees? Is it correct that you want to leave all CC open for at least a year? Specifically, unless we decide we want to go to Hawaii regularly, I won’t have much use for the HA after our trip.

Always keep a new card the full year. Then close or downgrade as suit your needs. Amex bonuses are usually once per lifetime if you've ever had the card (whether you got the bonus on it is irrelevant). So you wouldn't want to downgrade the Gold to a Green unless you've already gotten the Green.

Amex also has the dreaded pop-up where when you go to apply for a new card, they say you aren't eligible due to past behavior. Exactly what triggers this is a mystery. Speculation is that closing cards may contribute to this. Spending on their cards is supposed to help keep it away.

Do you plan to just get a couple cards or do you want to play this game long term? Chase will not approve you for any of their cards if you've gotten 5 cards that report to your personal credit report in the last 24 months. So business cards will prolong your game. Many side gigs can count. You may want to consider the business version of the HA card.

My DH can't keep straight which cards to use either. But he'll ask me for bigger purchases. I try not to sweat the small stuff. :)

That's the deal right now. Just keep trying is all I can say.
Same here, Finally got though after trying a few times. The CM I spoke to said its been a crazy day with everyone booking trips using their tax returns most likely. I am still waiting for a call back from two hours ago.
I kept hanging up and trying again, but then instead of hanging up I kept letting it repeat the message and the call went through. Said the wait was only 20 minutes, which is the lowest I've had the last 2 weeks, and it was accurate.

National Park Question - has anyone here visited Katmai National Park, and specifically Brooks Falls? I managed to score a campsite at Brooks Camp when the permits were released this morning but could only get July 29. I'm worried it will be too late in the month and we'll miss the bears as part of the salmon run.

Also - if anyone has done an Alaska NP trip using points, your insight would be much appreciated. So far I'm researching options to use points for Alaska Airlines and wondering if it's worth trying to get one of their credit cards quickly. It's pretty crazy how much the cash costs are but it doesn't seem like point usage will be super possible.

I like the Amex Rose Gold / Gold (same card, your choice of color right now), especially this year.

* Amex Rose/Gold 60k MRs aft $4k spend in 3 mo (4x dine & grocery; 3x air; $120 Cheesecake Factory credit; $120 Uber/Uber Eats credti; $100 Air incidentals credit; AF$250). The air incidental credit is changing over to Uber/Eats credit this year, but they are honoring both until 2022. So if you can use all of the credits that's $340 for a $250 card (in 2021).

As @wanderlust7 mentioned above, Amex cards that you can put continued spend on are good because that keep them happy, in terms of future card bonus approvals. Several of us here consider the Rose/Gold a keeper for the long haul because of the 4x dining and grocery categories.

Edit: Keep track of the 75k offer because that's a good bonus!

ETA: Keep personal cc's for a year before downgrading/canceling. Better to Product Change (PC, downgrade) than to cancel. Not all cards have a good downgrade option. Feel free to ask here about specific cards and options available.

Last edited:
The Delta Plat Business offer looks tempting. Can you hold Gold and Platinum? After I got Platinum, I'd cancel gold. But I don't want to cancel my gold until I had the platinum, LOL.

Question I feel like I should know the answer to. All personal chase cards are now subject to 5/24 right? Including marriott and Disney?

I am also looking at getting my first AMEX card, either the Hilton Surpass - 150K points + $150 credit after 2K spend in 3 months, $95 AF OR the Rose Gold.

Which is more valuable, 60K MR or 150K Hilton points?

I am also looking at getting my first AMEX card, either the Hilton Surpass - 150K points + $150 credit after 2K spend in 3 months, $95 AF OR the Rose Gold.

What are your plans for them? Because that’s what matters, their valuation is a very personal question.

For instance- personally I would lean hard towards 60k MR as they’re worth $750 to me (I would cash them out via my Schwab plat) while my stash of HH points are currently worth jack as I have yet to spend a single one and don’t have anything in the books for them at this time 🤦🏻‍♀

Do you plan to just get a couple cards or do you want to play this game long term? Chase will not approve you for any of their cards if you've gotten 5 cards that report to your personal credit report in the last 24 months. So business cards will prolong your game. Many side gigs can count. You may want to consider the business version of the HA card.

My DH can't keep straight which cards to use either. But he'll ask me for bigger purchases. I try not to sweat the small stuff. :)

As of right now, I have my eyes on a trip to Hawaii. I’ve got the MB points that I was after to cover the hotel, so I’m working on flights. After that, who knows! But I think putting all of my spending on CC and getting a nice trip every few years for cheap/free is a really nice idea. I’m not sure if I’ll have the dedication to rotate cards on a regular basis. I’m 99.99 sure I have not opened any new cards in the past 24 months, because I’ve been focusing everything on my MB Boundless. So I should have several slots to play with right now. I think I’ll downgrade the MB to the Bold card for no AF while I work on airline miles.

I’ve also got a Disney Visa and I need to look at downgrading that one too, to avoid the $50 AF.

Other than that, I have a really really old CO card that I’m keeping open because it gives me a long track record. No other cards. My husband doesn’t have any at all, he just uses mine. We have options! 😂

Last edited:
Yes...All Chase cards...personal and business are subject to 5/24

That's what I thought but I couldn't remember if Disney had gotten moved into that or not because at one point it wasn't.

Priced out a sat to sat at pop for sept as a back up for japan/Asia and wow. Makes me realize the difference in planning when I had an AP and when I have to buy tickets. Just trying to figure out options 😊

Check for a higher Gold sub. I saw it at 75K points this past Sunday and posted it here. I have one already but I was not on my computer so it didn't know it was me.

Check incognito, or different browser, and it may pop up.

The MR's would be more valuable to me. The hotel points would be valuable if I were going to book a room or rooms that exceeded the value of the cash out of the MR's.

Often though, hotel values are not what you would book if you were paying cash. So, because you have points, you might grab a room that has a high cash cost. But, this is a 'different' type of value than a point that can be turned to cash.

60k MR.

MR regularly transfers to Hilton 1:2, or 1,000 MR to 2,000 Hilton Honors Points.

However, Amex frequently runs (sometimes targeted) 40%-50% transfer bonuses from MR to Hilton when MR transfers to Hilton points at 1:2.8 to 1:3. So, 60k MR will transfer to 168k or 180k.

See:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-transfer-bonus-40-to-hilton-honors-12-8-2/
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-transfer-bonus-40-to-hilton-honors-12-8/
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-transfer-bonus-20-30-to-hilton-honors-12-4-2-6/
Note there are targeted offers of 75k MR for the Amex Gold card right now. You can try pulling up links to the Gold in different browsers, in incognito mode, behind VPNs in different geolocations, etc. (Remember to use a DIS support link if the offers are the same as what you'd get using another link.)

The Amex Gold card is also a better "supportal" card.

An MR-earning card like the Gold can "support" another person -- say, P2 -- to their choice of almost any Amex MR-earning card and co-branded cards. A Hilton card can only "support" someone to another Hilton co-branded card.

The Gold card also usually has the biggest "supportal" bonus among Amex's portfolio of cards when you "support" someone to their own card. The "supportal" bonus on the Gold is often 30k MR, and some are targeted with 35k MR "supportal" bonuses. This means when you "support" someone to their own Amex MR card or a co-branded card like the Hiltons, you could earn 30k MR, and your "supportee" can earn their own SUB. Amex caps the "supportal" bonus you can earn on each MR card to 55k MR/year, so that means you could use your Gold card towards 2 "supportals" worth 30k MR and then 25k MR. Beware Amex will send you a 1099-MISC for the value of the "supportals" where 1 MR equals 1 cent. However, netting ~75% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Now, the Surpass is a great card in the sense that a Free Night Certificate (good at any Hilton worldwide -- even an overwater bungalow in the Maldives if that floats your boat) is attainable with $15k of spend in a calendar year. Definitely a card you'll want to be "supported" to in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter