I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally listed some things on eBay (yay business income). I decided to go the auction route rather than fixed price because I couldn't figure out what would be a good fixed price. Most of what I listed is my old SLR camera equipment and looking at completed auctions, there's a lot of variability depending on certain specifications that I'm not certain I even understand anymore, it's been so long since I've used that equipment. So I'll be curious to see what ends up selling, and for how much. I'll be glad to see it go to new homes, too, although there definitely are a lot of memories and emotions attached--I bought my first SLR when my oldest was just three months old, so essentially making the commitment to a point-and-shoot camera is a little sad.

So... I used a referral link from reddit for the CSP, and it let me apply, but I was instantly denied. :(
It said they would send me feedback in 7-10 business days. Email? Snail mail?
I checked my credit score with my credit union before applying and it's 663. So, not great, but on the low end of "good". It said I have too few credit accounts. That's what I'm trying to fix! Lol.
And it could just have do with the way the financial world is looking right now. Although, my husband and I are doing better financially than we have in a long time. But, they can't see that.
So now I have to wait a bit before applying to Chase again, right? Should I just go for the BoA Cash Rewards card in the meantime and get that $200 bonus and their cashback rewards, and hopefully it will help my credit score? (IF I'm approved for that one.) Then try Chase again in a couple (or 3?) months?
Thanks for all your help in the last couple of days! You guys are amazing!

do you have your credit history posted somewhere? i dont usually read everything posted. that would give me a better understanding on where u stand.

do you have your credit history posted somewhere? i dont usually read everything posted. that would give me a better understanding on where u stand.
The only card I have is a Chase Ink Unlimited Business card I got in February 2019.

For those of you that have followed my story, my dad passed a couple of hours ago. He was a miserable shell of himself, in pain, so it's a good thing now. He is at peace.

So sorry for your loss. You have my deepest sympathies. :grouphug:

So once you get your money into your Schwab account, are you required to put it in the stock market (actually not a bad deal lately, but I digress), or can you then use it as bank account cash to spend?
I opened a Schwab account several months ago partly for the bonus and partly because there were DPs that it could be used as DD for another bank's bonus. I put some money in an index fund and left it there to satisfy Schwab's bonus and then ach'd out what I needed for the other bank. I don't have the checking, just the brokerage.

DP: Successful retention offer on my personal Amex Plat. Will be getting 30,000 MR with no spend requirement. Between the $120 in cell phone credit, $120 in streaming credit, and that I value my MRs at 1.54 cpp at a minimum it's $690 in value for the AF one for more year. Plus, I'm sure there will be a number of Amex offers I will take advantage of over the next year. I really thought I'd be cancelling it too. LOL

I had no idea that I could add new Chase cards to Apple pay before receiving the card, I guess that's what happens when it's been 4 years since I've had a Chase personal card. I can start charging my new Hyatt card, oh wait, I have nothing to buy.

OK - I know this is quoting an older message, but I remembered this being discussed and I can't figure out how to do it. I was recently approved for a Hyatt card and I'd love to add it to my apple pay.

I got an email saying to log into my chase app and then add the card to my mobile wallet. I can log in and see the card, but I can't find the number anywhere to add it to apple pay. I think I'm missing a step lol!

OK - I know this is quoting an older message, but I remembered this being discussed and I can't figure out how to do it. I was recently approved for a Hyatt card and I'd love to add it to my apple pay.

I got an email saying to log into my chase app and then add the card to my mobile wallet. I can log in and see the card, but I can't find the number anywhere to add it to apple pay. I think I'm missing a step lol!
Click on the card account, scroll down to digital wallet.
4ED96EBA-42B2-40A3-A9F2-EA1480CB3EAA.jpeg

Well, I didn't realize that the CSR travel credit would automatically credit for grocery stores. I was hoping to earn the 5X points and use the travel credit for our hotel reservation that won't earn the 5 points. Any way to undo it?

So... I used a referral link from reddit for the CSP, and it let me apply, but I was instantly denied. :(
I checked my credit score with my credit union before applying and it's 663. So, not great, but on the low end of "good". It said I have too few credit accounts. That's what I'm trying to fix! Lol.
And it could just have do with the way the financial world is looking right now. Although, my husband and I are doing better financially than we have in a long time. But, they can't see that.
So now I have to wait a bit before applying to Chase again, right? Should I just go for the BoA Cash Rewards card in the meantime and get that $200 bonus and their cashback rewards, and hopefully it will help my credit score? (IF I'm approved for that one.) Then try Chase again in a couple (or 3?) months?
Sorry to hear that about the CSP. I think your score of 663 hurt your chances with that card. A lot of the credit cards that offer good rewards on signing up and spending are going to want really good/excellent credit scores and you need to pull yours up if you want those. If you keep getting inquiries on your credit report (from applying for credit cards) that's going to make you start looking desperate to banks and they'll not want to issue you credit. Did you check out the link I provided in my last response about BoA? Your best bet with them will be to open a checking account first to establish a relationship and let it age a while, to help increase the odds of getting approved for a card with them; they can be difficult to get cards from these days.

You should focus on getting your credit score up, and may need to think about getting a secured credit card to show that you can be responsible with your credit. A higher credit score can help you in many other areas like car insurance, employers, landlords, so it will be to your benefit to increase it. Just know it will take time so patience is key. There are lots of resources on increasing your credit score, and maybe someone else can chime in on what they recommend to that end. Good luck, your perseverance will pay off in time.

Well, I didn't realize that the CSR travel credit would automatically credit for grocery stores. I was hoping to earn the 5X points and use the travel credit for our hotel reservation that won't earn the 5 points. Any way to undo it?
You're lucky you're earning 5x on the $300 credit. When I used mine earlier this year I earned 0x on the first $300 of travel charges. And then when I had to cancel travel plans, Chase stole 3xURs on my refunds. They did this last year too, it's not a glitch. You're the winner with the new grocery/gas $300 credit right now!

My score according to CreditKarma was 630 when I got my CSR and CSP almost 4 years ago. In the 5 months prior to getting those I app'd for 2 Southwest cards. We know Chase is being picky on who they approve lately, you might have better luck with a co-brand card first.

My score is much better now, but I was recently denied a BOA card. Definitely follow the advice of getting an account with them first and allow it to age a bit, it seems to help, but is something I did not do.

I think I have figured out how I want to work my points situation for future disney travel. I have a travel voucher from AAVacations from my canceled trip mid March, and it expires next mid March. Since I don’t want to work within the confines of that expiration date for our next trip, I think I’ll use the voucher for something else (beach trip late summer or Nashville this fall to visit my son in college).

I’m going to use other CC offers (currently still have the Amex 10% back at Lowes) to buy Disney gc’s and cover the cost of the purchase with URs applied to my grocery shopping during the May/June 5x deal. So I’ll be paying the same as normal for my groceries but getting my gc’s for URs.

This way I can speculatively book a Disney trip and still be able to get an easy refund if it doesn’t work out. AAVacations is NOT an easy refund. This numbers-in-my-head wrestling match is oddly satisfying after months of not contemplating future travel at all. :love:

I think I have my CC plans for the rest of 2020. I'm finishing SW Biz Performance 2nd MSR. That should be done in September. I'm also working on $1,000 with Amex BCP upgrade (I think it needs to be completed by November) and $2,000 Amex Platinum retention spending for a $300 statement credit (has to be completed by September). I have $14k in federal taxes to pay by September plus car insurance, etc. so I should be set. I'm thinking CS Platinum will be next in Q4 2020 (will put Q4 federal taxes on it). Last year I did 8-9 cards and this year it looks like only 4. I'm currently at 4/24 with one falling off in August and another in October so I'd only be 3/24 after the CS Platinum.

Did you check out the link I provided in my last response about BoA? Your best bet with them will be to open a checking account first to establish a relationship and let it age a while, to help increase the odds of getting approved for a card with them; they can be difficult to get cards from these days.
Yes, thank you for the BoA info! So I'll get on opening a checking account with them. I wonder how much activity I need going on with that account to make them happy? And how long should I plan on being patient with that before applying for a card with them? A few months? A year? Longer?
Some may not bother with with BoA. It doesn't seem very popular here. But I do like the look of their cash rewards card that lets you choose the category and change it each month. It would just be nice to have them as an option.

We know Chase is being picky on who they approve lately, you might have better luck with a co-brand card first.
Does a co-brand card mean one that is connected to a store?

Yes, thank you for the BoA info! So I'll get on opening a checking account with them. I wonder how much activity I need going on with that account to make them happy? And how long should I plan on being patient with that before applying for a card with them? A few months? A year? Longer?
Some may not bother with with BoA. It doesn't seem very popular here. But I do like the look of their cash rewards card that lets you choose the category and change it each month. It would just be nice to have them as an option.

I know some people dislike BoA for various reasons, but I don't mind taking advantage of them for my credit card purposes. lol I found this link for a banking bonus with BoA: https://promo.bankofamerica.com/chooseyourchecking1/offer/ It's not the highest offer ever, but the other ones are targeted I think. I recall seeing people report getting cards with BoA after 3 months of opening a checking account (some even say as short as the next day but I would wait at least until you get your first statement so that you know you're for sure in their system).
I like that Cash Rewards card a lot, and max it when I can.

Does a co-brand card mean one that is connected to a store?

Kind of. Chase offers Marriott, Southwest, United Airlines, British Airways, Disney, Hyatt and other cards where the rewards you earn are not UR points. Those are Chase's co-branded cards, you can see all of them if you google Chase credit cards.

DP: Successful retention offer on my personal Amex Plat. Will be getting 30,000 MR with no spend requirement. Between the $120 in cell phone credit, $120 in streaming credit, and that I value my MRs at 1.54 cpp at a minimum it's $690 in value for the AF one for more year. Plus, I'm sure there will be a number of Amex offers I will take advantage of over the next year. I really thought I'd be cancelling it too. LOL
Did you also get a retention offer last year?

A quick question - does applying for all these cards and have "newer" accounts not mess up credit scores? I know part of credit is age of accounts. Asking b/c I am legitimately new to this and thought that would be an issue but from the talk here, it doesn't sound like it is if people are opening between 4 and 9 cards a year. Sorry if it's a super-newbie question. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter