I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick question - does applying for all these cards and have "newer" accounts not mess up credit scores? I know part of credit is age of accounts. Asking b/c I am legitimately new to this and thought that would be an issue but from the talk here, it doesn't sound like it is if people are opening between 4 and 9 cards a year. Sorry if it's a super-newbie question. :)
Hasn’t hurt mine. My score bounces between 800-825 or so.

ETA: I actually just checked and I’m at 839 based on experian data. That’s the highest I remember seeing it.

A quick question - does applying for all these cards and have "newer" accounts not mess up credit scores? I know part of credit is age of accounts. Asking b/c I am legitimately new to this and thought that would be an issue but from the talk here, it doesn't sound like it is if people are opening between 4 and 9 cards a year. Sorry if it's a super-newbie question. :)
Nope, as long as you keep 1 old account to keep the age of your accounts high and you pay them off every month it will actually help your credit score. For the majority of the reward cards you need at credit score of 740.

Ok great - I was denied for the CSP a couple of days ago, but my score is around 725. My plan is to switch to paying off my balances weekly and keep my utilization low and see if that helps. Not really sure what else I can do... I hate to apply for anything else and be denied! I'll be down to 2/24 in September so I guess I can keep an eye on my credit score and try again then? Does that sound like a plan? Or should I try a different card right now that is a bit easier to get?

I know some people dislike BoA for various reasons, but I don't mind taking advantage of them for my credit card purposes. lol I found this link for a banking bonus with BoA: https://promo.bankofamerica.com/chooseyourchecking1/offer/ It's not the highest offer ever, but the other ones are targeted I think. I recall seeing people report getting cards with BoA after 3 months of opening a checking account (some even say as short as the next day but I would wait at least until you get your first statement so that you know you're for sure in their system).
I like that Cash Rewards card a lot, and max it when I can.

Kind of. Chase offers Marriott, Southwest, United Airlines, British Airways, Disney, Hyatt and other cards where the rewards you earn are not UR points. Those are Chase's co-branded cards, you can see all of them if you google Chase credit cards.
Thanks for the promo link for the checking account! That will help!

Ok great - I was denied for the CSP a couple of days ago, but my score is around 725. My plan is to switch to paying off my balances weekly and keep my utilization low and see if that helps. Not really sure what else I can do... I hate to apply for anything else and be denied! I'll be down to 2/24 in September so I guess I can keep an eye on my credit score and try again then? Does that sound like a plan? Or should I try a different card right now that is a bit easier to get?
Are you willing to call and plead your case? Are you at 5/24?
I wouldn’t apply for a card until you get the letter in the mail that tells you why you were denied.

Have you gotten the reason for the denial? I think we can better answer your question knowing why they denied it.

I know you said you'll be 2/24 but what are you now?

Also not all of those 9 cards were personal, there's biz mixed in.

What reason did Chase give for the denial ...that could help determine your strategy

Have you gotten the reason for the denial? I think we can better answer your question knowing why they denied it.

I know you said you'll be 2/24 but what are you now?

Also not all of those 9 cards were personal, there's biz mixed in.
Yes--the majority of my 2019 cards were business (I think 7 of my 9).

Oh gotcha. Ok! No, there was no reason for denial that they gave me. I can call. I was at 3/24.
ETA: called and they said my application was not approved, they could not give me the reason, but I will receive it in the letter. so I'll wait for that, I guess.

Last edited:

The credit reports look at the average age of your open accounts. So if you have more older accounts, the new ones will affect it less. But that's why business cards are so great. Most (with some exceptions) don't report to your personal credit report. The new business cards won't decrease your average age of account or affect your utilization. Amex business cards are especially nice because they usually don't even do a hard pull for existing customers. So those cards affect absolutely nothing on my credit report.

Oh gotcha. Ok! No, there was no reason for denial that they gave me. I can call. I was at 3/24.

It should have said you'd receive a letter. If you can't think of a good reason why they denied you, it might be worth a call. It's possible it could be id verification but I don't know if an instant denial would be for that.

You don't have any fraud alerts set up or credit reports frozen? Not that I think you'd forget if you did just tossing more ideas out.

Do you have other chase cards? It could be you have too much credit extended from them related to your income. Then you could agree to move credit from an already open chase personal card.

Can someone with the power kindly check if I’m still a member of the Dischurners reddit group? I’m probably doing something extremely stupid, but it has me locked out. I get the page with the key that says I must be invited to join, so I can’t even try to sign in anywhere. ( I think. My computer skills are pretty abysmal.) Same user name as here. Thanks!

Can someone with the power kindly check if I’m still a member of the Dischurners reddit group? I’m probably doing something extremely stupid, but it has me locked out. I get the page with the key that says I must be invited to join, so I can’t even try to sign in anywhere. ( I think. My computer skills are pretty abysmal.) Same user name as here. Thanks!
I see you listed as being in the group

I just finished Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah and I can’t stop crying. I think I'm just over 2020.

In credit card news, my 70,000 point sw bonus hit my sw account. I guess I didn't realize this would extend my companion pass through 2021.

Our library is about to open for pickups. I need to add some books to my hold list but I'm not sure I'm up for any tear-jerkers just now (although random things can make me cry these days so I'm not sure there's anything that's completely safe).

I see you listed as being in the group

Thank you for checking! I figured it out. Basically what it boiled down to was I’m an idiot. I think I just freaked out when it told me I was locked out. I didn’t even notice the button to contact the administrators , and because it said I was locked out I didn’t even attempt to sign in. Once I attempted to sign in, all was good. I don’t check in there often because I find it a little bit hard to follow along, but things have slowed down here, so I’m guessing more of the discussion has moved there. Either that, or there’s just not a lot of stuff happening. I miss seeing some of our most prolific posters here, though.

Thank you for checking! I figured it out. Basically what it boiled down to was I’m an idiot. I think I just freaked out when it told me I was locked out. I didn’t even notice the button to contact the administrators , and because it said I was locked out I didn’t even attempt to sign in. Once I attempted to sign in, all was good. I don’t check in there often because I find it a little bit hard to follow along, but things have slowed down here, so I’m guessing more of the discussion has moved there. Either that, or there’s just not a lot of stuff happening. I miss seeing some of our most prolific posters here, though.
Not a lot happening either place, nothing really posted there too

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter