I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I'd pop in to report on using the cell phone coverage on the Chase IHG card. My iphone screen stopped responding. I took it to a 3rd party place but when they gave me a new screen, faceID stopped working. They managed to swap my old screen back in, it started working, and I held out and waited for Apple. Meanwhile I had started the claim w/ MC for the phone coverage. This was like back in April I think.

Last Friday I was finally able to go into Apple. Apple told me it would be $279 for a new screen. If my faceID failed it would be $579, for a new phone. When I came back to pick up my phone, it was my old phone, so I assumed they were able to fix the faceID. When I got in the car, I saw it was still broke. I went back into Apple and they fixed the problem giving me a new phone for the $279 price!!!!

So I filed all the paperwork from Apple w/ the repair estimates (the girl did a great job writing it all out). And my receipt for $279. MC approved it! So I got a "new" iphone XS for $50! I should note, the screen had no damage to it, it just stopped responding. The 3rd party repair store noted that my "water" sensor was activated, but it hasn't been in water more than falling into a sink for less than 5 secs, which IS well within the guidelines for water resistance Apple boasts.

I stayed at Royal Pacific last summer and the family loved it. Used CSR travel portal to book at 1.5 CPP. We had a family of 5 so it maxed the value of the express passes you get from staying there. Loved not waiting in any lines when it is packed there except for Hagrids which is the best ride there, one of best in Florida. We choose a club level room as it wasn’t much more points with the 1.5 conversion and we got free beers and light meals for breakfast and in the evenings. Made value great. Short walk to park. We used UR to purchase 3 day park to park passes and then ended up upgrading to annual passes. Even though you get the discount being 1.5 CPP on the CSR portal Universal will give you face value of tickets to upgrade. We are going back this late July but staying off site at nine other than Margaritaville Resort Orlando. Never been there but it looks sweeet and we are huge Buffett fans so looking forward to the chill scene. Some reviews for cottages on trip advisor are not that great while the resort hotel seems to get great reviews. Might be because the cottages are individually own. FYI 30 resort fee and also a parking fee for MRO hotel. Free parking at cottages I think

HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE Buffett fan here. In fact 4 years ago today I won best tailgate at the Detroit show :) I'm so sad there are no concerts this summer. I took my 15yo to her first show last year and got her hooked. We were planning on hitting the Raleigh show and Cincy shows this summer.

This, along with my rental being cash positive is part of why I don't worry about my mortgage. Or my student loan for that matter. Total of both is under 70k anyway. But they help the over all look of my credit since I have never had a car payment and would prefer not to. I'll be interested to see what people say and if those that have paid off their house only have cc cards for their score and if that would potentially cause problems with getting a mortgage or car loan.

It won't cause problems. My parents probably haven't had a car or house payment in 30 years. My score is higher than theirs, but their net worth is much much larger than what mine is:)

Wow. This never occurred to me. Following along since our mortgage only has a few years to go.

Yuck. That stinks. We will pay ours off in a few years and I never thought about how it would actually hurt our credit.

I would rather be debt free with lower credit score than have debt. But paying off the mortgage and our remaining debt (cars and a heloc years later) did not hurt my credit score at all.

We have no debt - for about a year and a half now and mortgage free for much longer. Both my and DH's credit scores hover around 830. We (I) use credit cards and pay them weekly, so my statement balance is often zero.

Food and Wine is happening (modified)! Halloween parties canceled (not shocked).

I hope the Morocco booth happens. Hummus fries!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...C0zJrnRcLT5U15qk-coRnf8bXxSu9lYBg67aZTLjlikxE

Thanks for the update. Definitely bummed about the Halloween parties. We were planning to do a joint Halloween party/DVC Moonlight Magic for our first empty nesters trip. As of right now, they haven't cancelled the DVC parties but only time will tell.

Anyone else sign up for the HSBC account not have the $125 bonus yet?
I don't think I ever saw an email from Paypal or Slickdeals come through, but my $125 is in my acct as of 6/16. I may have overlooked it, I did have 3 other payments come in around the same time.

My Chase Marriott Biz FNC dropped into my account, but no sign of the annual fee yet.

I keep watching so I don't miss paying it. Anniversary was 6/15.

So, now that there is some kind of Food and Wine projected for Disney, I think going in November is more likely. I'm going to shorten my Disney nights to 4 or 5 though, and this is because I'm also booking a room at Hilton Head in March, which wasn't in the original plan for 2021. Usually a week long is every 2 years in Spring. I've started with a 1 bedroom but may end up with a two bedroom just because of availability since I don't have enough home resort points to do it before 7 months without borrowing.

So, the FNC that I have will stretch my trip in November. Right now I don't know what other hotel I will stay at but I guess I better start looking before Marriott makes them all 40k points. Or 60K in the case of the 50k cert.

I'm absolutely determined not to spend my Marriott points since I'm not earning points to replace them. The time will come where I may pay cash and earn a few points but that is not now. Although, it is difficult not to grab a few with the 6 points at grocery on the Brilliant. I guess at least I can grab a visa gift card with my $10 off.

My Chase Marriott Biz FNC dropped into my account, but no sign of the annual fee yet.

So, now that there is some kind of Food and Wine projected for Disney, I think going in November is more likely. I'm going to shorten my Disney nights to 4 or 5 though, and this is because I'm also booking a room at Hilton Head in March, which wasn't in the original plan for 2021. Usually a week long is every 2 years in Spring. I've started with a 1 bedroom but may end up with a two bedroom just because of availability since I don't have enough home resort points to do it before 7 months without borrowing.

So, the FNC that I have will stretch my trip in November. Right now I don't know what other hotel I will stay at but I guess I better start looking before Marriott makes them all 40k points. Or 60K in the case of the 50k cert.

I'm absolutely determined not to spend my Marriott points since I'm not earning points to replace them. The time will come where I may pay cash and earn a few points but that is not now. Although, it is difficult not to grab a few with the 6 points at grocery on the Brilliant. I guess at least I can grab a visa gift card with my $10 off.
I was researching where to use my FNCs the other day and made of chart of some options.

Dh's FNC posted on his Marriott account 5/5, his anniversary was 5/5, but the fee hasn't posted.

Original card opened 5/5/18
Received 25K FNC 5/19
Upgraded the card 6/19 - received 35K FNC for upgrading & refunded the $85 AF
12/19 the $95 fee finally posted
5/20 35K FNC posted - wondering when we'll see the $95 fee.

Dd and I arrived home in Toronto on Monday afternoon. The drive was much better than I imagined -- we stopped for 2 nights in Savannah (stayed at the Perry Lane with AmEx FHR -- highly recommend this hotel and it's dog friendly) and had a great time exploring there. A friend of mine and her dh from Boca was also in town celebrating her birthday weekend and I met up with them for drinks on the rooftop patio at the Perry Lane, which was really nice! On Sunday we drove to Roanoke, WV; it was the longest day in the car clocking in at 8.5 hours. We only stopped for bathroom breaks at rest stations (I had a fridge in the car with sandwiches and yogurt so we wouldn't have to stop for fast food). The Stonewall Resort was really nice and I highly recommend this to anyone in the vicinity for a nice weekend getaway. The setting on the lake is incredibly beautiful and the food was good (especially room service dinner). Monday we crossed the border and for the first time in my life I saw every single lane at the border void of cars. Actually all the lanes were closed with the exception of 2 Nexus lanes (luckily dd and I are both Nexus).

The border experience was surreal. I pulled up and spent my time there talking to a speaker. I have no clue where the lady I was talking to was located (the booth was one way glass, but she could have been inside the main building). I held up our passports and Nexus cards to a camera so she could see them. She asked why we were returning, how long we would be here, where we would be self-isolating (full address including postal code), my phone number and e-mail address. She made sure to let us know that we weren't to stop anywhere on the way to our house and asked where and when we filled up with gas. She went over the rules for self-isolation and asked what we had in the vehicle. It was pretty simple.

Since we have arrived both dd and I have received calls from the government of Canada asking how our isolation was going, how we are feeling, how we are getting groceries, if we have had any visitors, how we get fresh air, have we left the house, what number to call if we start to feel sick, etc. This morning dd got a call from the Ontario Ministry of Health asking how she was feeling, how her isolation is going and if she had the phone number to call if she developed any symptoms; no call for me yet, but I expect one soon.

If you're looking to travel and need some help getting to your MSR. Raise has an extra 5% off of travel gift cards. You can get Southwest for 11.4% off, Delta for 13% off, and American for 6% off. They also have Airbnb, hotel, and cruise cards.

https://www.raise.com/shop/VACAY
I just saw that TopCashBack is doing another one of their $3 back on $10+ purchase promotions starting today through 12pm on Sunday. This could be a nice stack with Raise. I think you have to spend at least $20 for cash back at Raise.

Yesterday I booked 6 nights at the Fairmont Lake Louise in a concierge lake view room! I have been eyeing this hotel for a few years but the price has had held me back. Earlier this month they started an every other night free promotion and free cancellation a few days prior to arrival (our lake view room is about the half cost of what it normally would be on top of the promotion). Yesterday Aeroplan announced a special, book a flight anywhere in Canada and the US and once travel is completed you get half the miles returned to your account, so it seems that the stars aligned for us. I have been accumulating miles but haven't been able to use them; yesterday I secured 2 seats in business class to Calgary on August 24th (ds doesn't want to travel until 2021). I wasn't able to get the return flights I wanted so I used dh's account (he is Super Elite and better access to flights). I really hope this trip takes place; I remember when I took a family trip to Lake Louise and Jasper when I was around 6 years old; I remember standing on a glacier in the summer with a sweater on! We will do 3 days of hiking and maybe one day of mountain biking; I'd like to rent a car and drive for a day to hit some of the spectacular lookouts that aren't accessible by hiking.

I also booked a drive through scenic safari at the Toronto Zoo for June 29th (our first day out of isolation!). It sounds amazing and it really is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I worked at the zoo for 2 summers when I was a teenager but never got to drive through it. Dd is super excited for this as well!

Dd and I arrived home in Toronto on Monday afternoon. The drive was much better than I imagined -- we stopped for 2 nights in Savannah (stayed at the Perry Lane with AmEx FHR -- highly recommend this hotel and it's dog friendly) and had a great time exploring there. A friend of mine and her dh from Boca was also in town celebrating her birthday weekend and I met up with them for drinks on the rooftop patio at the Perry Lane, which was really nice! On Sunday we drove to Roanoke, WV; it was the longest day in the car clocking in at 8.5 hours. We only stopped for bathroom breaks at rest stations (I had a fridge in the car with sandwiches and yogurt so we wouldn't have to stop for fast food). The Stonewall Resort was really nice and I highly recommend this to anyone in the vicinity for a nice weekend getaway. The setting on the lake is incredibly beautiful and the food was good (especially room service dinner). Monday we crossed the border and for the first time in my life I saw every single lane at the border void of cars. Actually all the lanes were closed with the exception of 2 Nexus lanes (luckily dd and I are both Nexus).

The border experience was surreal. I pulled up and spent my time there talking to a speaker. I have no clue where the lady I was talking to was located (the booth was one way glass, but she could have been inside the main building). I held up our passports and Nexus cards to a camera so she could see them. She asked why we were returning, how long we would be here, where we would be self-isolating (full address including postal code), my phone number and e-mail address. She made sure to let us know that we weren't to stop anywhere on the way to our house and asked where and when we filled up with gas. She went over the rules for self-isolation and asked what we had in the vehicle. It was pretty simple.

Since we have arrived both dd and I have received calls from the government of Canada asking how our isolation was going, how we are feeling, how we are getting groceries, if we have had any visitors, how we get fresh air, have we left the house, what number to call if we start to feel sick, etc. This morning dd got a call from the Ontario Ministry of Health asking how she was feeling, how her isolation is going and if she had the phone number to call if she developed any symptoms; no call for me yet, but I expect one soon.
It's great they are being so conscientious!

I was researching where to use my FNCs the other day and made of chart of some options.

Good job, Happ! I'm actually trying to catch nights at the water, either here or on the coast south or the Gulf area.

My conundrum is I don't want to 'spend' nights or points but they will expire so I've got to get booking. My earliest expiry dates are 1/31/21 so lots of time.

And, OMG! I glanced at the ones with resort fees and the Sheraton on Apopka Vineland - they have renovated since I stayed there 1 night many years back, but it was one of my all time lows. Yuch! In July they have a 23.95 resort fee and this includes the shuttle, room rate is $74, and 'I' wouldn't stay there for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter