I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hotel Bristol in Vienna - I can get a penthouse suite with a balcony for 5 nights for 415k bonbon points. Looking to get that + another room so that we have space to spread out (probably using a FHR Amex rate for the other room). So we will be in nice space, in any case. I really have my eye on their Opera Suite, but that would be literally a million points for the stay - but maybe if we are in good rooms to start with I could swing an upgrade (maybe suite rewards will actually work for once)? A tall order for a 5 night stay, but you never know.

I'm going to be close to getting Platinum status this year (no chance of Titanium again), so I may burn some points on a mattress run to make that happen, which is another reason to make it possible to combine MRs into my Marriott account.

I found us a two bedroom unit in an aparthotel in Portugal for three nights for a grand total of 68K URs, so that part of this trip is pretty cheap in points. This is how I'm justifying spending a ridiculous amount of points currency on the hotel in Vienna.

It looks very nice! I hope you're able to reserve it and share your options on our hotel thread.

What plans do you have in Vienna?

Lost in the thread (as usual) but wanted to say thank you to whomever suggested or mentioned the status match thing with hotels. I am not sure it will ever come in handy but I just requested a status match for my (never used) Wyndham account. I guess it can't hurt!

I never knew that was a thing! Unfortunately for me, Best Western doesn't get you far but hey, it's cheap! (Usually!)

The halcyon days ended just over a year ago. Hence, all the cancelations coming up now. Before then, you could’ve applied for Chase’s Marriott Premier/Premier Plus, Marriott Biz, and Ritz-Carlton (the true heavyweight champion) cards, and Amex’s SPG, SPG Biz, and SPG Lux (collectively, the “Starriott Gauntlet”), when the SPG cards were actually worth spending on (because 1 Starpoint = 3 Marriott), gotten all their SUBs and cross-support bonuses worth over 500k Marriott points, pool them all with your P2, without any restrictions across the two issuers. :sad1:

That was me, lol, except didn't get the Ritz card and messed up by getting the Spg Biz 3 hours too early, but I still ended up with a half million points when all was said and done and 5 free nights, all of which I intend to keep. Daughter got all 6 cards.

My Samsung frontload washer and dryer bought 3 or 4 years ago have been my biggest appliance regrets (not that I've bought a lot of appliances lol).

I got them because they were a lovely burgundy color -and still are- but that's the best thing about them. I've had the dryer fixed about 4 times (heating element and other things) and the washer works but I always feel like I'm wasting water since I can't control the load size. Also, there's a piece of plastic in the front which seals with the door and it never seems to dry out completely (even with wiping down religiously) and so it smells funky (mold) and I end up doing a hot water vinegar only load about once a month to help keep that odor down. I miss my really basic functional whirlpool set SO MUCH (note-that set died after 12 or 13 years and definitely earned its keep). The only good thing is I'm guessing this set will die in another 3 or 4 years and I can return to old school basic!

I got my Samsung set about six years ago because they were a pretty blue color! And you're right, that's probably the best thing about them. But they are still working despite the washer that has staked violently from day one (and being told repeatedly that its fine) and the dryer (after my most recent fix) is louder than it should be. But, their still working and I'm going to keep pushing them along. I think I'm going for the Speed Queens when these die.

I'm so torn on my bonblah cards. On one hand, I could use the certs on visits home as nothing is higher than a cat 4. On the other hand, I can usually book my sketchy Quality Inn for about $70 a night, plus use a shopping portal. And my other problem is the hotels I would use them at are mostly cat2 or cat3 so I would debate using a cert...

Now that I've unpacked we have a snack basket in the bedroom. I've got our halloween party candy and the hurricane snacks: jerky, cheezits, wheat thins, club crackers, reese's, Hershey's kisses, peanuts.

Plus 4 Mickey rice krispies (real reason I want to try the dining plan... using all the leftover snack credits to bring home a million rice krispies! Muahhahah!)

Can you check my understanding of this deal?

First, I book a round-trip flight for one person plus hotel, add tickets and insurance.
Then, I cancel flight and hotel (once I receive tickets). Get voucher for future hotel use.
To receive tickets ASAP, I should book the flight/hotel for within 30 days.
Tickets expire 12/30/20, but even if not used by then, can apply purchase price to a ticket at a later date.

Also, not directly related to the mechanics of this Delta deal, but say we used our 10-day tickets for the first time on 12/29/20--could we then upgrade to APs after January 1, 2021 and have them be good for that year?

(Also thanks for everyone who's posting about this; it's a great deal and I was ignoring it for a bit but now I'm tempted to see if I can make it work.)
You got it right. I booked a Disney hotel within 60 days but it shouldn’t matter. Since your not taking the flight look at ATL-MCO 2 nights at a value. There was mention in the ticket terms that it’s “will call” if you stay offsite. I can’t confirm it and frankly I’d be surprised if that was the case. My tix came directly from Disney and I uploaded them immediately. As far as I can tell they are upgradable and your dates should work! Just in the nick of time

I will!

Has anyone purchased a new washer and/or dryer recently? Any recommendations or anti-recommendations?

We're replacing 13yo dead Kenmore dryer and 13yo rusting Frigidaire (?) front-loading washer. I think I want to stick with a front loader, as I am short and reaching all the way down into a top loader can be tricky :laughing:

I am the proud new owner of a Samsung washer and Whirlpool heat pump dryer. The heat pump dryer is really cool and dries just as well as a conventional dryer with only a little extra time. I love them sooooo much! So far they have been great but I have only run about 3 loads of laundry in there total.

Last edited:
I need a car rental for our HI trip in Feb (Hilton and Aulani, 9 nights on Oahu). I never rent cars, like it's been 12 years, so looking for advice.
- Good ways to use points? (UR or Hilton available, just burned MR on Delta promo)
- Recomended companies?
- Best time to book?
- Pitfalls to avoid?
- Best card to pay with (if not points) - Hilton Aspire, CSR, Amex Gold, CIP (fingers crossed for approval)

I checked the Chase UR site hoping to use points, but everything is $850+. Costco is similar, a bit less. DH has status from his Plat Amex (although canceling, not sure how that works) at National, Avis and Enterprise (if I remember correctly). Hilton Aspire has a 30% off Alamo promo right now, so $500ish but the desk is not in the terminal.

(I've been posting a ton this week. Can you tell the kids are hack in school???)

I have a 10 day minivan rental through Alamo on Oahu this December for $377. Being a Costco member, I can add the Costco code (7014627) under the Contract ID for the discount and second driver. I will pay either my Arrival or my CSR for the insurance. I won’t pay until we get there and will continue checking prices to see if they go down.

Now that I've unpacked we have a snack basket in the bedroom. I've got our halloween party candy and the hurricane snacks: jerky, cheezits, wheat thins, club crackers, reese's, Hershey's kisses, peanuts.

Plus 4 Mickey rice krispies (real reason I want to try the dining plan... using all the leftover snack credits to bring home a million rice krispies! Muahhahah!)

Sounds like the shun corner os good to go for awhile 😂 :rotfl2:

I know that several of you have either been to Italy or planning a trip. Given the choice, would you rather go in June and have fewer days (2 travel and 8/9 days touring) or go in August and have more days (2 travel and 10/11 days touring)? I am thinking August may be too hot and I read somewhere that many stores close for 2 weeks in mid August, but it would be nice to have the extra days. We will probably fly into Rome and then out of Milan or vice versa. Suggestions?

We just got back from 2 weeks in Italy. It was definitely hot! You will definitely want to stay somewhere with a/c. We also got up early and took naps and stayed out late which helped with heat and crowds! Also our best experience was seeing the Madonna Bianca festival in Portovenere that only happens once a year. There were a few restaurants closed, but we always found plenty of places to eat. I wouldn’t hesitate to go in August again, but be prepared for heat!

You got it right. I booked a Disney hotel within 60 days but it shouldn’t matter. Since your not taking the flight look at ATL-MCO 2 nights at a value. There was mention in the ticket terms that it’s “will call” if you stay offsite. I can’t confirm it and frankly I’d be surprised if that was the case. My tix came directly from Disney and I uploaded them immediately. As far as I can tell they are upgradable and your dates should work! Just in the nick of time

Thanks! I'm not sure if I can make those dates work but a Christmas/New Year's 2020 trip is the most realistic option. And if I'm understanding correctly, there's no way to lose money on this deal--the worst that happens is I have some MR points tied up in a voucher (although do we know when the voucher expires?) and tickets (that if we don't use by 12/30/20, I at least get the value back as applied to tickets at a future date).

ETA I guess the cost of the insurance could be considered a loss but I could also convince myself to think of it as a conversion fee since the value of the voucher + tickets exceeds any other use for my MR points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter