I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the original blog post, Marriott intends to honor some points advance bookings at the standard rate should your night fall on a peak rate in the future. (https://viewfromthewing.boardingare...-pricing-next-month-along-with-other-changes/)
However, I don't know if it would hold that rate when trying to switch it to a FNC. I seem to recall @havaneselover (maybe?) having an issue with that on the last go around.
I actually watched one of the videos on their website last night (who does that—I hate videos) The take home message was “you are locking in a room, not a rate” so I guess I wouldn’t trust them to honor a lower rate if the date turns out to be peak rate night (it’s next June, so I’m not sure what they’ll consider peak in Anaheim) I think I’ll try to call tonight and see if they can apply my FNC (after extending the expiration date) If they can’t, my only other option is to transfer some URs to Marriott and just apply all my points.

I rented a minivan in Hawaii. I know my initial booking was around $500. By checking weekly and rebooking, I got it down to $360 (24062 UR) within 2 weeks of our trip. I booked Enterprise via Chase UR. I pretty much only book Enterprise or National, I have National status via the CSR. These two companies have never given me issues and I get free second driver (dh).

Parking in Hawaii is expensive. Hale Koa has a parking garage very near Hilton Hawaiian Village if that's where you're staying, not far of a walk at all, it's basically across the street. If you're military related (active duty and I can't remember what else) you can get parking validated, it's only $30/day. However, it does not code as travel on CSR I've discovered. So much for getting my parking offset by travel credit lol
Thanks for the parking tip! I have the Hilton Amex so I'm hoping HHV parking applies to the resort credit I have with the card, but if not I'll check out the garage.

When you book with UR and then cancel do the UR go right back onto your account or is a hassle?

FYI - Amex is running a 30% transfer bonus for MR to Marriott through 10/31/19. Not the best use of MRs, but the transfer bonus makes it better than transferring URs if that’s what you were considering.
https://onemileatatime.com/amex-marriott-transfer-bonus/https://viewfromthewing.com/2019/09...ess-transfers-to-marriott-through-october-31/
Yay! Looking to do a super big Marriott redemption on our Europe trip (There is a swanky penthouse suite that it available via points) and was thinking of transferring DH's MRs to a Marriott account for him (need to open one first!) but was still looking like I'd be a little short on Marriott points. The extra 30% will likely put me over the top and I have a little time to get organized. I can pool points from my account and his for a redemption, right? Or transfer points between us (for free b/c I have status). Thanks for the heads up!

I'm reading on FT right now about Amex reimbursements on airlines. Has anyone tried the new techniques?
Do you mean the SW thing? I saw DPs up to just over $100. I bought a ticket around $140 (legitimately needed a ticket and wasn't for credit) just to see if it worked, and it didn't.

I have seen several DPs of under $100 working though.
I just got an amex gold so I need to figure this out. It sounds like I book a ticket that is right at $100 (lots of $109's from Denver) and then what? If I cancel, I just get a credit. Is that the best there is?

I was one of the DPs- I booked a $97 Southwest flight on one platinum (then cancelled right away and got a refund) , and split-tendered another Southwest flight so that $99 hit my card on another platinum. Those worked fine.

I haven't seen anything out there that would work on American, so I might try to book/cancel another SW cheap flight (but I really don't like doing that unless I have no other options). I've got a work trip coming up on American, but its a quick one, so paying extra for a better seat, or a meal on board or whatever would be silly. Maybe I'll check a bag?

Or, I could choose SW as my airline and DH and I could just plan to drink - a LOT - on our flight down to USO in December. Pretty sure $100 would get both of us pretty serioulsy lit on a 3 hour flight. :drinking1

(of course, this would make me 🤮 and that's really not what I'm looking for to start a family vacation.) Other ideas?

I will!

Has anyone purchased a new washer and/or dryer recently? Any recommendations or anti-recommendations?

We're replacing 13yo dead Kenmore dryer and 13yo rusting Frigidaire (?) front-loading washer. I think I want to stick with a front loader, as I am short and reaching all the way down into a top loader can be tricky :laughing:
Funny you should post this, my new dryer arrived today! After reading as many reviews as I could find, I went with a Maytag model and purchased it from BestBuy through RMN which was at 10%. It's replacing a GE that lasted about 12 years. Home Depot, Lowes, and BestBuy have Labor Day appliance sales right now that last a few more days.

Must be a flight and resort - this is for adding tickets on. Do you have Delta miles? If so you could book a "throwaway flight" and resort, cancel it and use the voucher on a hotel only booking.

Whoa! I feel like this has evolved since I last logged in!
I am reading backwards to try and catch up, but I'm liking this thought b/c delta flights aren't so great for us to MCO. I really just need the resort room.

Can you verify the steps here...

-Book a flight and resort online for 1 person and add insurance (i assume)
-Cancel the package for a voucher worth what you paid (still the 2x redemption)
-Book resort only using the voucher

Whoa! I feel like this has evolved since I last logged in!
I am reading backwards to try and catch up, but I'm liking this thought b/c delta flights aren't so great for us to MCO. I really just need the resort room.

Can you verify the steps here...

-Book a flight and resort online for 1 person and add insurance (i assume)
-Cancel the package for a voucher worth what you paid (still the 2x redemption)
-Book resort only using the voucher
Exactly. Waiting on DPs if insurance in necessary since it’s a 24 hours policy
When you rebook with voucher put on hold and call in with voucher to apply it

Yay! Looking to do a super big Marriott redemption on our Europe trip (There is a swanky penthouse suite that it available via points) and was thinking of transferring DH's MRs to a Marriott account for him (need to open one first!) but was still looking like I'd be a little short on Marriott points. The extra 30% will likely put me over the top and I have a little time to get organized. I can pool points from my account and his for a redemption, right? Or transfer points between us (for free b/c I have status). Thanks for the heads up!

Set up DH’s Marriott account ASAP (TODAY!). An account needs to be open at least 60 days before it can transfer points to or receive points from another account. An account can transfer 100k points/year, and receive 500k points/year from multiple accounts. There’s no longer a fee for transferring points. But you do need to call Marriott Member Support at (801) 468-4000 to do the transfer.

We are having the best trip! Has actually been the best weather this year, besides our march trip. Actually, it never rained on us yet. I saw it was wet this morning when we got up, so apparently it rained overnight.

AofA had some characters and activities last night, but most people were in the pools. DD3 needed some sleep, so I got her to bed at 7pm. I was super tired too but the doors slamming in this building kept me awake til 11. I was super annoyed about that. I even had our noise machine on full blast. I really need interior corridors at resorts I guess.

We did the MNSSHP on our arrival night and it was great. It was like the parties in the 2000s, before they got oversold. Everything was walk on...even slinky was under 10 minutes.
We didn't do a ton of character meets, but hopped in lines if we passed one that was short.
The fireworks were cancelled for "weather" which was not cool at all. It was literally barely windy. If I am sweat at 10pm, the wind can't be that bad. Dumb. Since the park was so empty, I assume they wanted to save money.

This morning at AK we didn't even need FPs. I think we will head to MK tonight for HEA and hop on some rides. I scored SDD for tomorrow evening, so planning to relax and swim and maybe do DS in the daytime. We did the rest of DHS yesterday morning, along with Epcot. We skipped SWGE though. Didn't feel compelled to walk back there.

Exactly. Waiting on DPs if insurance in necessary since it’s a 24 hours policy
When you rebook with voucher put on hold and call in with voucher to apply it
This is amazing. Do I need to add all the kids to the first reservation. I guess not, or they would all need flights too, right?
I will hold off an wait on the DPs about the cancellation. This is exciting!

Set up DH’s Marriott account ASAP (TODAY!). An account needs to be open at least 60 days before it can transfer points to or receive points from another account. An account can transfer 100k points/year, and receive 500k points/year from multiple accounts. There’s no longer a fee for transferring points. But you do need to call Marriott Member Support at (801) 468-4000 to do the transfer.
That 60 day thing is just transferring between Marriott accounts, right? I could set up his Marriott account, transfer MRs into it, then hang out for 60 days, then transfer those points to my Marriott account for the booking, right?

Funny I’m planning to cancel my bonblah Amex biz this month. I’m waiting until my fn certificate to post, my understanding is my fee will be prorated since I live in MA. I think the certs are decent values although $125 is pushing it ($95 for this af for me, but will go up next year). For essentially $25 more I’ll keep the Brilliant and get more value from the 50k cert. in addition we have x2 Marriott personals, DH has a bonblah biz still so no lack of free nights so I’ll keep them until the fee goes up for DHs biz. I just wan to open a slot for another Amex credit card - I’m at 5 - BBP, bonblah brill, Bonblah biz, Hilton biz and Hilton surpass

The BBP is a MR card, right? If so it doesn't count in your 5 cards.

Edit: ok, scratch that. I see it is an MR credit card.

Last edited:
This is amazing. Do I need to add all the kids to the first reservation. I guess not, or they would all need flights too, right?
I will hold off an wait on the DPs about the cancellation. This is exciting!
Nope since your canceling it don’t need to add kids but make sure you price out the actual resort and dates you want so you book at package at the correct value. So say you want 5nights BLT and it’s 4k book at 4K flight package. It will cost you 200K SkyMiles and you will end up with a 4K travel voucher

I actually watched one of the videos on their website last night (who does that—I hate videos) The take home message was “you are locking in a room, not a rate” so I guess I wouldn’t trust them to honor a lower rate if the date turns out to be peak rate night (it’s next June, so I’m not sure what they’ll consider peak in Anaheim) I think I’ll try to call tonight and see if they can apply my FNC (after extending the expiration date) If they can’t, my only other option is to transfer some URs to Marriott and just apply all my points.
You're right, but I read that as points advance bookings made starting 9/14 this policy applies. For bookings made prior to 9/14, they'll honor up to 5 at the standard rates.

Now it's Bonvoy so who knows how well that'll get implemented, but at least for points bookings it's worth a shot. If you're trying to switch to a FNC instead of a points certificate, it could get iffy. In theory it should be the same as applying a points certificate, but again, it's Bonvoy so they could come up with anything if you have to call in to do it rather than online. Likewise, even if you apply your points now to lock in the standard rate, unsure if they'll be willing to apply the FNC if the peak price pushes it over the limit. I thought that was a problem on the last roll out of category changes.

Thanks for the parking tip! I have the Hilton Amex so I'm hoping HHV parking applies to the resort credit I have with the card, but if not I'll check out the garage.

When you book with UR and then cancel do the UR go right back onto your account or is a hassle?

Depending on your plans, you may not need the car the entire time you're at HHV. I would also price out a one-way rental. There's an Alamo and Enterprise (Discovery Bay Center location) that's very convenient to HHV.

The URs showed up right away when I've canceled hotels. Would think rental cars would be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter