I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kmc8826 Have some Delta questions on actual flights, not the vacation packages. If I am remembering you are a frequent Delta flyer.

I am looking to fly to Glacier NP next year in July and wondering how any changes are handled. I love SW since I can cancel, change and get my points back easily. Don't think it is as easy on other airlines. If I book Delta on miles, and then the flight goes down in price, can I rebook and get my miles back? The cheapest flights are not the exact dates I want, though I could make it work. Wondering if I should just book those to get the right price, but if other dates decrease in price, could I change? Thanks.

First - Yeah, my stay in Breckenridge on my free night pushed me to GOLD status. Not sure it is really a big deal, but my first status upgrade!

Next, need some ideas on a Marriott strategy. Planning to stay 2 nights in a Townplace suites in Whitefish next July. It is a cat 4. I will have a 35K cert but since DH's anniversary is Oct, it probably won't show up until Nov or Dec. I am thinking of booking before 9/14 to lock in 25K per night and then calling in to apply cert later. Since that is prime time in Whitefish, I expect it will increase to peak price of 30K but my cert should still work. Wondering if I should book the nights one at a time to make it easier to change one to a cert and keep one night at 25K. Is that the way to go?

I know everyone is cancelling their cards but cash price for this stay is 329 a night in July so even once I have to pay 125 AF, I come out ahead with a free night. This year it is still 95 AF. I am not sitting on a huge stash of points either, just about 150K. I don't think, if I cancel my Amex Bonvoy Biz, I can get the Marriott Biz with a lower AF. But if that is possible, I would look into that.

I just booked our first excursion for our Oahu trip. It’s a 3hour snorkeling trip with 3 stops. The first stop is with spinner dolphins, we ultimately float with life jackets and the dolphins swim below us. The second stop is with sea turtles and the third stop is supposed to be just a nice snorkeling spot. I’m really hoping it is as good as the TripAdvisor reviews. We will end up cashing out Mom’s UR points but I’m pretty happy.

I got my Samsung set about six years ago because they were a pretty blue color! And you're right, that's probably the best thing about them. But they are still working despite the washer that has staked violently from day one (and being told repeatedly that its fine) and the dryer (after my most recent fix) is louder than it should be. But, their still working and I'm going to keep pushing them along. I think I'm going for the Speed Queens when these die.

Yup! I gave up the flashy red/burgundy/ blue/black plus the drawers under the sets and settled for white and reliable at a pretty high price. But I feel as if they will last as long as I need them. They don't bounce or shake. They don't smell moldy. They get the clothes clean (with the help of my favorite Tide Pods) and the dryer is amazing when set on the 'sensing' setting for drying. And best of all I can set my own water level or let it be auto. And if it locks and I need to add something I forgot, I can make it open and then continue the cycle.

OK booking a delta vacation package for WDW tix. Double miles value expires 9/6. There is speculation you could secure the tickets and be refunded the rest of the package if you cancel within 24 hours, but we are not sure on this. In the meantime I think its safer to go the insurance route. Plus in order to get the double miles benefit you need to use miles and I was told those cannot be placed back in your account.

Here goes:
  1. Log into Deltavacations.com go to the box on the bottom and click on "advanced search"
  2. To use the double miles benefit it must be a flight and hotel x2 nights
  3. I booked a WDW hotel, I'm not sure if that's necessary but I would to be safe. You also want to book it for soon to secure tickets ASAP. I did >30 days but less than 60 because i didn't want to get into any funky cancellation issues
  4. Depending on how many miles you want to use to the "throwaway" search for cheap flights. I looked at delta.com and did "flexible dates" to find my flights but I didn't look too hard
  5. In the search box do the flight (I did ATL-MCO), arrival must be MCO to add tickets. I did my reservation for 4 people because I couldn't figure out how to add more than one ticket. You can do 7,8,9 and 10 day tix if you want to do one flyer only
  6. Do the cheapest route you can find (unless you don't care about how many miles you are putting out) and 2 night at the value. Put in one person
  7. There is a "show all hotel filters" option - you can click on Disney. I chose 2 nights at ASM.
  8. Keep clicking the red "next" button box that appears on the side of the right side of the screen.
  9. Pick your flights. Don't care about the times do the one that costs $0, hit the RED NEXT button after each time
  10. The site can get a bit sluggish
  11. After you get the flights you will be at the "extra options" page
  12. Under activities choose the Disney tickets for the kind (base, hoppers or hopper plus), and days you want. You can only pick one at first (and only an adult ticket)
  13. Go up to the RED NEXT button again and click it
  14. You will then land on the "Traveler information page" - back out of this and add the remaining tickets you want - one by one back and forth (sooo slow)
  15. Once you are satisified you will add the travelers information. Click next and there you will see the insurance options. Choose the cheaper one and below you will see where you can use miles.
  16. Voila you have your package and tickets
  17. Once your tickets come go back online and cancel the package. You will see it says a large amount non refundable (for tickets) and a voucher for the amount the rest of the trip was worth (and the miles you paid also count double towards this portion)

Yikes just popped in to see what was up and found this!. I am going to try to take advantage. What's the highest number of tickets you can get? I think I read that you used 200k points for your booking, just trying to guess how many points I need to transfer. Is there a way to determine what the savings is? I read though most of your posts on this and also searched Delta Vacations. I'll go back and continue to research in the meantime. Never did find the original post. Thanks!

@kmc8826 - did you do the insurance on your Disney Packages? I’m going to book w/o flight but would like some flexibility with dates/resorts. To make changes and get price reductions you need the insurance? Did you do the cheaper one?
At first I did not do insurance but then I looked at the fine print and decided in this case it was worth it. So I called them back. I definitely did do the cheaper one; big difference is if you get voucher back or original form of payment.

This is amazing. Do I need to add all the kids to the first reservation. I guess not, or they would all need flights too, right?
I will hold off an wait on the DPs about the cancellation. This is exciting!
I haven't booked it yet since still deciding, but yesterday I did a package with flights for 3 of us and 5 of us on the room. It was not a problem. If you cancel within 24 hours you get voucher in mail 7 days later. If you cancel later it is the same except you need to have insurance to get total value back.

@kmc8826 Have some Delta questions on actual flights, not the vacation packages. If I am remembering you are a frequent Delta flyer.

I am looking to fly to Glacier NP next year in July and wondering how any changes are handled. I love SW since I can cancel, change and get my points back easily. Don't think it is as easy on other airlines. If I book Delta on miles, and then the flight goes down in price, can I rebook and get my miles back? The cheapest flights are not the exact dates I want, though I could make it work. Wondering if I should just book those to get the right price, but if other dates decrease in price, could I change? Thanks.

No you can't change like on Southwest. Which is a huge pain. It is a $200 ticket change fee per ticket. Sometimes you can talk them into waiving it or reducing it, but general policy is $200 a ticket. It should count as credit on Amex though. I think the change fee within 24 hours is up to $75 (that is just for catching an earlier or later flight). If you do that you pay the $200 and then any difference with the new flight. I think that is subtracted from the $200 but I am not entirely certain. DH is now saying maybe we should cancel our December WDW trip so girls don't miss school. If only it was like Southwest! I really hate to eat that cost.

I have generally found that prices are more expensive right at first, but then go down and then go back up and stay up. I know you can buy flights with the travel insurance but I have never done that as it does not seem too worthwhile. The cheapest flights though generally stay cheapest, but it can vary quite a bit. I know cheapest I have got SLC to MCO non stop is $248...but same flights for our spring break trip I just booked is $596.

Glacier NP would be awesome. It is on my list. :)

If theres anything we take seriously in Nebraska, it's our football.

Severe weather? Extreme temperatures?
Nope.

Nebraska Football: selling out games since 1962.

Memorial Stadium: the third biggest city in the state on game day.

In all honesty, being in that stadium on game day is like nothing else. I'd love to take DH.

If theres anything we take seriously in Nebraska, it's our football.

Severe weather? Extreme temperatures?
Nope.

Nebraska Football: selling out games since 1962.

Memorial Stadium: the third biggest city in the state on game day.

In all honesty, being in that stadium on game day is like nothing else. I'd love to take DH.
I don't really pay much attention to football but, when I was in college, ASU (Arizona State) beat Nebraska 19-0 at (our) home. It was a BIG DEAL!

Beginning to be slightly concerned. My CIP payment is due tomorrow and I sent it through my bank's bill pay with the same lead time I have always used on my CF with no issues. It shows it has cleared my bank but Chase doesn't show it posted yet. Uuuuuggggghhhh. I hope it isn't a problem now. I actually stopped using a Capital One card I got last fall because they took FOREVER to post their payments and I got a late charge (which I disputed).

Beginning to be slightly concerned. My CIP payment is due tomorrow and I sent it through my bank's bill pay with the same lead time I have always used on my CF with no issues. It shows it has cleared my bank but Chase doesn't show it posted yet. Uuuuuggggghhhh. I hope it isn't a problem now. I actually stopped using a Capital One card I got last fall because they took FOREVER to post their payments and I got a late charge (which I disputed).
I had that issue with CIU or CIP, I forget which. My checking account is at CHASE. When the payment was late, they told me it takes a few days to get there. What?!? :scared: They did reverse the late fee. I don’t use bill pay anymore.

Thanks! I'm not sure if I can make those dates work but a Christmas/New Year's 2020 trip is the most realistic option. And if I'm understanding correctly, there's no way to lose money on this deal--the worst that happens is I have some MR points tied up in a voucher (although do we know when the voucher expires?) and tickets (that if we don't use by 12/30/20, I at least get the value back as applied to tickets at a future date).

ETA I guess the cost of the insurance could be considered a loss but I could also convince myself to think of it as a conversion fee since the value of the voucher + tickets exceeds any other use for my MR points.

Not that I can think of. It’s still unchartered territory for us all. I did read about a fee if you cancel the hotel when it’s less than 30 days so I’d say the “sweet” spot is 30-60 days from now to get ur tix right away. And yes the tickets said right on them can be redeemed for higher price tix. Since your canceling in 24 hours you could risk the insurance part but it wouldn’t guarantee you had your tickets yet so I saw it was a safety net too. Still a great deal.
Yikes just popped in to see what was up and found this!. I am going to try to take advantage. What's the highest number of tickets you can get? I think I read that you used 200k points for your booking, just trying to guess how many points I need to transfer. Is there a way to determine what the savings is? I read though most of your posts on this and also searched Delta Vacations. I'll go back and continue to research in the
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-61035893You can get the package and base it on the number of points you want to the voucher to be for. So if you want to voucher to be for 6K, book at 6K package and spend 300K SkyMiles.

First - Yeah, my stay in Breckenridge on my free night pushed me to GOLD status. Not sure it is really a big deal, but my first status upgrade!

Next, need some ideas on a Marriott strategy. Planning to stay 2 nights in a Townplace suites in Whitefish next July. It is a cat 4. I will have a 35K cert but since DH's anniversary is Oct, it probably won't show up until Nov or Dec. I am thinking of booking before 9/14 to lock in 25K per night and then calling in to apply cert later. Since that is prime time in Whitefish, I expect it will increase to peak price of 30K but my cert should still work. Wondering if I should book the nights one at a time to make it easier to change one to a cert and keep one night at 25K. Is that the way to go?

I know everyone is cancelling their cards but cash price for this stay is 329 a night in July so even once I have to pay 125 AF, I come out ahead with a free night. This year it is still 95 AF. I am not sitting on a huge stash of points either, just about 150K. I don't think, if I cancel my Amex Bonvoy Biz, I can get the Marriott Biz with a lower AF. But if that is possible, I would look into that.
If I didn't have such large point balances AND I had a viable use for the certs, I'd absolutely keep the card open. It seems like there was a little "cancel the card" bandwagon today but I think everybody here is evaluating things based on their own circumstances.

I'm glad to see somebody providing a "counter-DP" of sorts :D

In actually doing another 75k miles for $1500 voucher. Think we’ll splurge and stay at the Beach Club!!!!
All the Delta talk is REALLY intriguing me because I want to stay at BC in the spring and I do not have a discount for it yet LOL I only have 105,000 MRs so at most that would be 210,000 SkyMiles and the room I want is $2,347 on the Delta website so it probably won't work. Hoping I can accumulate more MRs and another promo is released in the future!

All the Delta talk is REALLY intriguing me because I want to stay at BC in the spring and I do not have a discount for it yet LOL I only have 105,000 MRs so at most that would be 210,000 SkyMiles and the room I want is $2,347 on the Delta website so it probably won't work. Hoping I can accumulate more MRs and another promo is released in the future!
I'm trying to find a way to make it work too and I just can't get there on the math - so don't feel bad! I'm looking at YC for dates in late January. Not every promo will work for everybody - don't get overly caught up in the "excitement" and make a mistake. (I that last statement is directed at ME...haha)

I'm trying to find a way to make it work too and I just can't get there on the math - so don't feel bad! I'm looking at YC for dates in late January. Not every promo will work for everybody - don't get overly caught up in the "excitement" and make a mistake. (I that last statement is directed at ME...haha)
Thank you for the reassuring words, it is so true!

Argh. Now I get to chase down why Chase returned my payment on my CIP and then hit me with a late fee and returned payment fee. Which of course I got zero notification of. All I have is an email saying the received my payment.
This happened to me last year, very odd.

Thank you for the reassuring words, it is so true!
I remember back in the day this used to happen with cards. A new bonus would come out and the hype would just grab people. May 2015...Citi comes out with a 50k Hilton points offer on their no AF card w/ just a $1k MSR (yeah...back in the old days Citi had a Hilton card). People were going crazy over it so I signed up... I had no need of Hilton points, it didn't exactly fit my strategy...but I went for it.

Later that month Chase puts in place the 5/24 rule...and you guessed it - that Citi card was my 5th card in 24 months. I had to pause churning on my SSN for 6 months to wait for a card to fall off to do a CF/CSP double dip (this was before CFU and CSR even existed, lol). During those 6 months my wife got 7 cards so it's not like we were on the sidelines...but still, I got distracted by the allure, drawn by the hype, and made a bad call.

So now, when something is really drawing my eye in the game, I always take a step back and make sure that the MATH or STRATEGY makes sense and that I'm not just in a FOMO mindset. :D

EDIT: Wow - have I been churning awhile. This post mentions a card that doesn't exist anymore, is set in the time period before the 5/24 rule, and happened long before CSR even existed... I am an old man churner, LOL! 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter