• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I am a big mean mom..

Did/would you pay for your child's learners permit?

• Yes

Votes: 271 92.5%
  • No

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • Other..just because

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters
Kim, I would never call you a mean Mom. It's just what you believe in. We paid for our sons' driver's training but that's just what we did. I would never judge what someone else wants to pay for when it comes to "extracurricular" things and their children. :hug:

To me, it's just part of being a parent to pay for driver's training, their permit and license. I can't imagine not doing that.

My parents paid for my permit/license (driver's training was free at school) and we paid for our son and daughter's as well (their training was also free through the school). I know most schools charge for it now, but I would still pay for it.

We bought each of our kids a car to use while they were in high school (and college for our DD as well). A Ford Tempo for our son, until he bought his own car when he was a senior in high school. And a Dodge Coronet for our DD. She called it a "big boat" but it served her well. We also paid for their insurance until they left home.

We live on a farm, out in the country. Driving is a necessity. Before our kids were able to drive on their own I was making several trips a week down to the school, to drop them off for practice, etc. and pick them back up again. I was thrilled when they could drive themselves!!! And I think it's a life skill that every teen should learn, whether they need to use it right away or not.

I wasn't given a choice if I wanted to learn to drive or not. My peers' parents were all like, "Do you want to? Do you feel ready?" My mom thought they were nuts; she had learned to drive by age 9, in her granddaddy's massive tractor. I was six years out of practice as far as she was concerned LOL

upon obtaining my learner's, my mother had driven us into the mountains, got out of the truck, and said, "Now drive us home. Or freeze to death on the side of the road in a National Park. Or kill us driving off a cliff. Let's go."
Serious trial by fire (or ice, as the case may be)!

Of course this meant that my driver's ed teacher decided that My First Day of Real Driving would entail getting onto our busiest interstate highway during construction and forcing me to drive with 1 foot concrete walls on either side of the laneway, cones everywhere, and the speed limit was like, 70 mph. Yep, I managed to get us back to school safely, but I think my fingernail crescents are still in that steering wheel!!! :D

Here in Georgia the learner's permit is only $10 so that wouldn't be an issue with me. My kids are older and I'm sure we paid for their permits.

Right now I have a 15 & a 16 year old grandsons and a 16 year old granddaughter. All 3 got their learner's permit within the past few months.
The two 16 year olds just completed the required 30hr classroom portion of Driver's Ed & are working on their driving time. The 15 year old will do the class in December.

For anyone interested (and a Georgia resident) the state of Georgia has a grant for 15 to 17 year olds for the 30hour class & 6hour behind the wheel training with a certified instructor. This is normally around $400 so a pretty good deal if you qualify.

We have paid for our kids, but I see nothing wrong with the way you are doing it. Where we live, if you wait til you're 18, you don't have to do the behind the wheel with a driving school so we do wait til then.

Lots of parents don't let their kids get a license til they can pay their own insurance. I have a friend whose kids have to buy their own car first. You have to do what works for your family.

Here in Georgia the learner's permit is only $10 so that wouldn't be an issue with me.

Here in Ontario Canada it is $148.75 . It's expensive.

This includes $15.50 to write the test...if you fail that will be another $10 each time to write again. $51.75 for the road test ...if you fail it will be another $51.75 to try again. And the final thing included that cost is $81.50 for license for 5 years.

We paid for DS to take the online course, get his permit, and get his driving lessons (no driver's ed in the schools here). DH passed his older car down to him and got himself a new car. We pay for the insurance. To us, driving was a necessity for DS. I was tired of school carpools, theater carpools, running around to buy him things, taking him to his voice lessons, dance classes, etc. It was a huge help, especially to me, when DS was able to drive. He has helped out by taking our other DS places too. It didn't occur to us that we shouldn't pay the fees.

I have no clue what the cost of a license is. Isn't it something that just requires a nominal fee? Maybe this is one of those "Prices may vary in Canada, Alaska, & Hawaii" things. We paid for them to go to college, I'm guessing a fee for DL is a drop in the bucket comparatively.

My daughter is going to be 17 in a few weeks and she has all of a sudden decided she wants to get her drivers licence.

She asked if I would pay for her beginners and test and I said no. To me, driving is an option, not a necessity and I think she should start to have to pay for things.

We still pay for her cell phone and any other expenses she has. She does have a job and pays for her clothes but that's because she is a shoe and clothing horse. She has sooo many clothes lol

Also, if she drives our car after she gets her license she won't have to pay for insurance because our insurance covers the car, not the driver. We'd maybe ask for gas money once in a while.

In all honesty, I don't want her driving our car at all. It's old, held together by rust and is very powerful. I always think of it as a boys car because it does have a ton of power lol

To practice driving, my dad and one of my brothers has offered to take her out in their cars.

So, am I a meanie?

Not only do I think you're a meanie, I think you're a bit sexist. Seriously? A boy car?

My first car was a 1979 Chrysler LeBaron that me and my friends called Bessie. She had a CB radio, and we had all sorts of fun in that powerful "boy" car.

I expected my kids to get their permits and start learning as soon as they were eligible. I paid. It was really important to me that they got as much driving experience as possible while they were still under my control. My nieces and nephews "weren't ready" and have had a heck of a time growing up and becoming independent. My 21 year old niece still doesn't drive.

I don't think you are mean, but I'm really surprised by your thinking on this issue.

It's such a small cost here that I didn't even question if we would pay for it. You can get your permit at 14 here ($15) and as long as you have it for a year and take drivers ed ($150) then you can get your license at 15. So, that's what we did. My son also took the Ford Driving Skills for Life program this summer which I highly recommend if you have it come to your area. It's a free one day course and he said he learned a lot about driving distractions.

Yes - we paid for them to get their permits and drivers licenses. It's an important skill to have and they need it in our area.

My daughter is 19 and just learning now so no, we didn't pay for drivers ed but we did pay for her permit($27) and are teaching her ourselves. She had no interest or need to drive...independent studies student, no extracurricular activities, no job and no car, before 18. A family member gave her a car right before she graduated, is when she had a sudden interest. We felt she needed to concentrate on school before worrying about studying for drivers ed, plus she was just months away from 18 when she wouldn't need to take drivers ed.

Since the OP's dd has a job, there is no reason why OP should have been asked to pay for it.

Kids are a trip,lol.

My dd paid to get her Learners permit.. She got it later then usual.

As for me, before I was able to get my permit, my dad bought me a Pinto. He was like "you want something better, you get a job,lol.
So I was a lawm mowing, leaf raking, car washng fool,lol. Once I started working I paid for my own stuff. I loved clothes back then lol.

I don't have kids, but when I learned to drive 20ish years ago, my mom paid the fees associated with it. I didn't take Drivers ed, but my mom taught me to drive and then paid to add me to her insurance.

We paid for both our boys licenses, lessons, cell phones, insurance, clothes etc until they graduated college. Both had their licenses before they were 17. They're 31 and 33 now and successful adults. I don't see driving as an option. It's something most everyone needs to know how to do.

This is our approach also. Oldest son just got married at age 23. Has his master's no student loan debt. We paid his last auto insurance right before his wedding. It's good till February. He's still on the family cell phone plan. His portion is $10 per month.

He started his real job last week. He'll take these last few things over when the paychecks start and we'll be done.

His 2 brothers are in a 7 year college major. We'll do what we can to help them incur as little debt as possible. But I'm sure they'll need some loans at years 5 to 7. They're studying to be pharmacists.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter