I am a big mean mom..

Did/would you pay for your child's learners permit?

• Yes

Votes: 271 92.5%
  • No

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • Other..just because

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters

kimblebee

now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents
My daughter is going to be 17 in a few weeks and she has all of a sudden decided she wants to get her drivers licence.

She asked if I would pay for her beginners and test and I said no. To me, driving is an option, not a necessity and I think she should start to have to pay for things.

We still pay for her cell phone and any other expenses she has. She does have a job and pays for her clothes but that's because she is a shoe and clothing horse. She has sooo many clothes lol

Also, if she drives our car after she gets her license she won't have to pay for insurance because our insurance covers the car, not the driver. We'd maybe ask for gas money once in a while.

In all honesty, I don't want her driving our car at all. It's old, held together by rust and is very powerful. I always think of it as a boys car because it does have a ton of power lol

To practice driving, my dad and one of my brothers has offered to take her out in their cars.

So, am I a meanie?

Agree...life skill no matter where you live and the more practice at driving the better. However, I get that where you live it isn't a necessity. It is where I live so I can't imagine not doing it.

But it is important, IMO, to learn how to drive early on as long as she hasn't given any other indicators that she's irresponsible or reckless.

We paid for our son and daughter to take drivers ed ( segment 1 &2). plus paid for their driving test and license. Plus, we bought them each a car. my son is 19 and daughter is 16. We will pay their insurance until they have a good job or out of college.

ETA: a lot of my son's friends waited until they turned 18 to get a 30 day permit and get their license.

My boys aren't quite there yet but I will pay for their driving test/lessons same as I paid for the swimming lessons. To me its a life skill that they will need eventually.
But absolutely they will be giving me gas money when the time comes!

I agree. I consider it a life skill and I wanted to make sure it was something my DS knew and had lots of practice with before he left home.

My daughter is going to be 17 in a few weeks and she has all of a sudden decided she wants to get her drivers licence.

She asked if I would pay for her beginners and test and I said no. To me, driving is an option, not a necessity and I think she should start to have to pay for things.

We still pay for her cell phone and any other expenses she has. She does have a job and pays for her clothes but that's because she is a shoe and clothing horse. She has sooo many clothes lol

Also, if she drives our car after she gets her license she won't have to pay for insurance because our insurance covers the car, not the driver. We'd maybe ask for gas money once in a while.

In all honesty, I don't want her driving our car at all. It's old, held together by rust and is very powerful. I always think of it as a boys car because it does have a ton of power lol

To practice driving, my dad and one of my brothers has offered to take her out in their cars.

So, am I a meanie?

Uh, why? A girl can drive a powerful car. This makes no sense.

Yes, I would pay for my child's learners permit if she were still living at home and under 18.

We paid for DD's drivers ed. Driver ed was ~$400. There is no fee for a permit that I remember, if there is it's not much.

I'd pay. I consider driving a necessity of life. I want my kids to learn while they are young. I want them to have lots of practice and learn before any irrational fears might take hold. I also see it as a way for me and my husband to get out of shuttling her to swimming ten times a week.

I would pay for it as it will help you in the long run. If she has somewhere to go, she can drive and you won't have to. If you need something at the store, she can go get it for you. If you are unable to drive for some reason, she can drive you etc. I think it is important for her to know.

Uh, why? A girl can drive a powerful car. This makes no sense.

Yes, I would pay for my child's learners permit if she were still living at home and under 18.

Oh, I agree a girl can drive a powerful car..look at Danica Patrick. I should have added that she is 90 lb soaking wet and I don't think she's got the temperament for it.

Plus, I don't think she'd be able to see over the steering wheel lol

Have paid for permit for both sons, although it was part of their birthday presents. Never even considered not paying for them.

We considered driving a skill every adult should have and we wanted our kids to start learning it as soon as possible. We paid for their permit fees, taught them to drive ourselves and also signed them up (and paid for) drivers ed lessons so they could learn even more and we could get an insurance discount.

We paid for our kids' driver's ed classes and we pay for DD to be insured on our car (DS doesn't have his license yet, just his permit). It makes our life easier now that she can get herself places, run errands, and chauffeur younger siblings around.

A boys car? :confused:

Better to have more experience behind the wheel under the supervision of family. It's a very important life skill.

Our oldest didn't want to get his license. Didn't want to go out and drive at all. Didn't have anywhere he wanted to go. So we didn't push him. After all, I didn't want a reluctant driver on the road. Then he decided on a local University, about 30 minutes from home with no public transportation options. Yikes! Getting someone ready quickly for a daily car commute is not fun. It's really anxiety provoking. For all parties. And it's not necessary.

Our daughter turns 17 in a couple weeks as well. She had her permit at 15 and her license at 16. She's been driving independently for a year now. The more practice the better. I wasn't making the same mistake twice.

Oh, I agree a girl can drive a powerful car..look at Danica Patrick. I should have added that she is 90 lb soaking wet and I don't think she's got the temperament for it.

Plus, I don't think she'd be able to see over the steering wheel lol

Okay, but to be fair, that's not what you said. You said you think of it as a boys car because it is powerful. Cars do not have gender designations. :goodvibes

Thanks for clarifying!

I think of driving as something everyone should know how to do , so like swimming lessons everyone should really know how to swim too I paid for I will pay for them to get a license . Even gone as far as getting them lessons with Young Drivers to be able to do it safely.

It is not cheap to get your license anymore so that is a big cost here in Canada. The sooner the better too since they will be on probation for 2 years. I have parents that won't let there kids get their license period which I find funny because they drive.

I don't mind paying for my child to acquire skills and I agree with many others that driving is a life skill. I might have some expectation with that like she needs to actual take it seriously and yes, she will be helping to run errands once she gets her DL because every member of our family helps out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!