Hurricane Irma?

If you guys are referring to my comment, I wasn't trying to be rude, just sticking up for the OP she was pretty much mocking.
People can have different reactions to the same experience. Some people are more nervous than others. Neither is right or wrong.

FWIW, I rode out Charley at Pop Century and I never felt my door was going to crash in. Charley's eye went right over Orlando and it was plenty windy!

Irma may complicate travel in the TN/GA and areas north. Too early to tell till the storm fully clears, but MCO might be open whereas ATL or other airports north will be dealing with tropical depression rains/wind. I haven't heard about gas shortages in GA, but hopefully by Tuesday evacuees would be able to start driving back home. I'm thinking optimistically and hoping for the best. Good thoughts for your travel plans whatever they may be. :cutie:

Ok! Thank you so much for your help! I'm hoping our SW flight into MCO gets reinstated but I know that's a long shot. I haven't canceled us on that flight yet in hopes it will come back. I agree that by Tuesday GA will be getting hit and it may affect travel into ATL. I mentioned on FB that I may drive to FL and several people said there was NO gas in FL right now. :(

Stay safe everyone with the storm shift turning the worse weather to you. I agree listen to your warnings and be prepared to follow instructions you are given. There is a curfew till tomorrow night in Orlando 6pm so I don' t think the parks will open as a pp just stated he heard. They need everyone to stay in as long as possible to make sure everything is safe and secure. Good luck!

I don't regret leaving early for second, even if it turns out to be not that bad. I wouldn't want to be holed up in my room wondering if the power is going to go out, and worrying about my flight being canceled. Not the vacation I envisioned whatsoever.
I just want to make it clear I wasn't attacking you. I was agreeing with you. My comment about the "Disney spirit" was a general comment about some people's responses.

People can have different reactions to the same experience. Some people are more nervous than others. Neither is right or wrong.

FWIW, I rode out Charley at Pop Century and I never felt my door was going to crash in. Charley's eye went right over Orlando and it was plenty windy!
Nobody's reaction is wrong as long as they're respectful of reactions/experiences that differ from theirs. I feel for anyone who is affected by this storm, we should be supporting them and each other right now!

Since our SW flight into MCO was canceled Tue I'm considering flying into ATL and driving down. This is of course provided our flight into ATL doesn't get canceled. Anyone know if the gas shortage is a huge concern in GA and FL? TIA! April

I live in Ga about 45 minutes outside atlanta. I would NOT recommend driving down, we have all the people from Florida here and traffic has been a nightmare going north. It has taken people 17 hrs to get from Orlando to Atlanta when it takes 6 hrs. We had reservations for Thursday the 14 but I was able to move them to Next week to avoid the gridlock going South when all the Florida folks head back. I have not noticed a gas shortage here it's about 2.79 a gallon but the traffic has been a nightmare. Good luck and safe travels.

Gas availability is few or none throughout the state. Depending on the damage to the roads it may be days before the tanker trucks can get in. No electricity also means pumps won't work.

Last edited:
I just want to make it clear I wasn't attacking you. I was agreeing with you. My comment about the "Disney spirit" was a general comment about some people's responses.
Thanks, I kinda figured, but you never know! It's easy to be misinterpreted online. :grouphug:

I don't blame you, I wouldn't have rescued Charlotte in the first place. Not a spider lover.

My frog is still going strong.
I saw that another poster asked if you had named him. Before you do, check to see if he has on a tiny top hat and tux. If so, he already has a name: Michigan J. Frog. It's likely he's out tonight rehearsing the storm scene in Act II of The Barber of Seville, since he has been known to sing excerpts from this particular Rossini opera. Just be aware that if you open the door and he sees you, he will immediately stop singing and go limp. Don't be alarmed if that happens - apparently it's an annoying habit of his.

In all seriousness, stay safe and hope it's not as long a night for you all in Florida as it seems. Keep watching this thread and hoping for the best.

We're driving down early Tuesday from TN. As long as they have gas in Valdosta GA, we'll be able to make it rest of way down. I checked on gas buddy app earlier, and a lot of places are totally out of gas, but a few still had it.

Thank you for this!! I'll download the app too and check it out! Are you guys bringing gas with you? How to you prepare for that? Good luck! ❤️

Nobody's reaction is wrong as long as they're respectful of reactions/experiences that differ from theirs. I feel for anyone who is affected by this storm, we should be supporting them and each other right now!
i read the post. I didn't think it was a big deal. The only remotely mocking part was the 'lol' and folks on the DIS use that all the time. And I did think that cramming things in front of the door was not what I would do in the situation but I figured whatever made that poster feel better was okay.

I have been stalking this board all week. We are scheduled to arrive the 19th. I am hanging on the hurricane news like a tick on a dog. Stay safe tonight, conditions are changing quickly, and while NOAA does the best they can with their model composites, models are always at best educated guesses. I am hoping you wake to sunny skies, some leaf debris, and open parks. Love and light to all of you there. A bad day at Disney still beats a good day anywhere else! ☺

We are on the 5th floor at AKL. Kids are asleep, but I'm wondering if we need to get down to a lower level.

I'm so sorry it feels that way. Can you call to the front desk or poke your head out to see if there is a CM nearby? I'm sure the building is built to handle it but if you feel like you need to get away from the window or something I'm sure others might be thinking the same thing. A big benefit of AKL is the interior hallways.

i read the post. I didn't think it was a big deal. The only remotely mocking part was the 'lol' and folks on the DIS use that all the time. And I did think that cramming things in front of the door was not what I would do in the situation but I figured whatever made that poster feel better was okay.
They also said "Yeah right" which is more what I was talking about, but there's no point arguing. The post in question has been removed anyway, I think.

I live in Ga about 45 minutes outside atlanta. I would NOT recommend driving down, we have all the people from Florida here and traffic has been a nightmare going north. It has taken people 17 hrs to get from Orlando to Atlanta when it takes 6 hrs. We had reservations for Thursday the 14 but I was able to move them to Next week to avoid the gridlock going South when all the Florida folks head back. I have not noticed a gas shortage here it's about 2.79 a gallon but the traffic has been a nightmare. Good luck and safe travels.

Dear Lord...17 hours. :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter