Hurricane Irma?

Damage at the Poly posted on the Resort thread (pic courtesy of Tikiman):

21462261_1690633164314684_8165152942657179411_n-jpg.268651
Jeez

Since our SW flight into MCO was canceled Tue I'm considering flying into ATL and driving down. This is of course provided our flight into ATL doesn't get canceled. Anyone know if the gas shortage is a huge concern in GA and FL? TIA! April

Heard reports that there were some issue in ATL, but that shouldn't be your concern (since you will have a full tank) but Florida will be. Another issue may be all the evacuees traveling back to FL, making driving bumper to bumper. Gas Buddy App for phone would be something to download. http://tracker.gasbuddy.com/

Yeah, we're thinking of taking some gas cans with us, but hope it's not necessary. Right now the plan is to not let it get below 1/2 tank until we hit Southern Ga. Thankfully my vehicle is pretty fuel efficient.
We always bring a ton of drinks and food from home so I'm not worried about that.
Safe travels!

Sounds good!! Thank you! You too!!! ❤️

11pm update Still a Cat 2 once center of circulation gets North of Orlando, expected to head slightly northwest.

The NHC and all the rest have said "WEST" all day. Look at the reports from 11AM, 2PM and even 5PM, expected WNW, NNW, but in reality, it's path, it has been straight north, now sparing Tampa/St Pete and focusing between Orlando and Lakeland. West my foot. North. The damn thing went north, a direct line to our city. Thankfully losing wind force, but still, right at us. West. NOT. One g lessoned learned, DO not listen to Model forecasts (East, Irma is going to hit east side of Florida), not listen to any of these fools, they just DO NOT KNOW where it will head.
Glad we left, would be freakin out even worse than I am now if we were there.
West. Nope.
Dolby1000 (sorry, so scared for my house and my neighbors right now, we were the only ones in our neighborhood to get out).

I am sitting in Minnesota anxiously watching Weather Channel coverage and reading the updates all of you are posting. Tomorrow we have to make the decision whether to keep our arrival on Wednesday or cancel our trip. Stay safe if you are in Orlando area. Hope to join you there soon!

You will have a much better idea of the dammage done here by tomorrow morning if that is your concern. IMH opinion, if nothing too crazy happens overnight tonight, you will be fine Wednesday.

From someone hoping to fly OUT on Tuesday, I sure hope you wouldn't have a probabaly coming IN on Wednesday. Maybe I'm being extra positive because I want to get home! :)

This is what I've been trying to share. Thankfully only ONE possible Jose track looks concerning. So I'm not worried anymore. Well, maybe worried a little for New York. Hope Irma passes quickly so everyone can get on with their lives in peace.

ScreenHunter_37%20Sep.%2010%2021.14_zpsx4eao0g3.jpg

I heard Miami airport has significant water water damage to a lot of their terminals. I hope MCO doesn't share the same fate....

To the poster thinking of driving from Atlanta....after a statewide disaster you will NOT want to go the area. After Sandy came to my hometown (and I was far inland, and Sandy was only a cat 1) getting anywhere was impossible because streets were impassable due to downed power lines, gas shortages, downed trees/debris, etc. I'm sure Disney will get things on track faster than anyone but I can only imagine masss unpleasantness.

Edited to add...we had no power at my house from Oct 29-Nov 6. And we were not in an area that was considered hard hit at all. Not even close. Even so, as soon as we could, we LEFT NJ for PA, because we had no power (and none of our friends or family did either)

Last edited:
Another ATLer here (also about 40 mins N). I'd be cautious about plans to come south down 75 from any point.

There will probably many Floridian trying to get home to assess damages. So expect traffic jams.

There will be delays at the airport if there is any rain or high wind. Which as of right now there will be.

We have gas stations that are out of gas but they seem to be outliers.

Even today I saw a lot of FL tags going North.

At lunch there were lots of cars with FL tags in the lot.

And I must still be missing something because when I went to Wally World after dinner the lines were long and there wasn't any bread or milk. Out of curiosity I checked a few other things: flashlight section bare bare bare, tp looked to be in good supply and snack/chip section also wiped clean. But I was able to get my Mickey and Minnie Halloween inflatable and my first bag of Halloween candy for the kiddies which is what I went for.

For anyone attempting to drive down, be cautious.

There will be a ton of people traveling back to come home to Florida so roads will be crowded. Gas buddy is a great app but be careful with it and don't fully rely on it when there's gas shortages because it might not be updated to show a station is out of gas. This happened to me two days ago, I was at almost half a tank so decided to refuel before the storm, checked gas buddy and saw only 2 stations near me showing they had gas. Drove there and the station was already boarded up with shrink wrap around all the pumps.

So just a heads up to stop and fill up when you see gas and not try to go an extra few miles down the road because gas might look cheaper or a better exit. You don't want to run out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter