Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

I get what you’re saying and the idea of being at Disney stuck in our room during a hurricane is not ideal. But no one knows when the park will be closed yet or how strong the storm will be, which is why I’m following here and other places. If it’s open Monday that might work for us. We also have nowhere to stay Monday and Tuesday and would be stranded. Savannah is 4 hours away from our home in the opposite direction of Orlando. We have a room booked at Disney. I just don’t know what our alternative would be.
If you plan to drive in just know that it might be possible you won't find any gas once you get into Florida. Could be a good idea to get a container and fill it up before so you have some on hand. The storm looks like it's going really slow, I could see the parks being closed both Monday and Tuesday it depends how long it takes to get across the state.

I have no trip planned so don’t have a dog in the hunt, but please, please, please do not assume that what they are saying now is 100% what will happen. So many things effect these storms and change what they do.

I have been in South MS through Camille, Katrina and every storm in between. I live an hour from the gulf coast. We have had storms that had everyone panicking, that came on shore and fizzled. We have had storms that no one was particularly worried about and it either stalled or bounced off the coast a couple of times and blew up. Even Katrina had no one planning to evacuate or take heed until a day before landfall!

Living as far inland as I am, we aren’t ever sure what we will get. A few storms did a lot of damage on the coast and nothing here. Some didn’t seem to be much and we had a great deal of damage.

A Cat 1 is not a lot and no we don’t evacuate for such. But it still spawns tornadoes. Remember that tornadoes can do a great deal of damage, they are nothing to laugh at. And still, they can’t say for sure what it will be until it happens.

Anyone traveling into Orlando, can I suggest perhaps finding a local station and tracking the weather there? It is more local information and warnings that pertain to the exact area. The weather channel is great but can always seem in a panic.

So I am wondering....how many are coming in and weathering the storm and how many are cancelling and coming after? Cant decide best course of action.
We arrive tomorrow and will be there for 12 days. Actually considered cancelling as a bit nervous but we are going. Just printed our boarding passes for tomorrow morning. Hoping for the best.

Yesterday I thought I was ok...flying in Tues PM, but now that the track is slowing that is looking iffy. I guess we will see what happens at the next update and if the track slows more.
I can't come in much earlier, due to my kid's hockey stuff Monday.....MOnday evening flight is the earliest I can do, which doesn't instill confidence either at this point. Otherwise I have to leave my hockey kid home to arrive Sunday.
I am in a no refund hotel situation as well...Tues-Sat. I just want to get there in time to hunker down or right when it is over and hopefully the airport reopens quickly, but my dates aren't very flexible.

Still a few days away, but that cone is not looking promising for Labor day.

Dumb question here, but if the storm doesn't pass over the Orlando area until Tuesday in the early AM, would MCO still be closed by Friday the 6th? I assume the parks will be reopen by then but I'm just wondering if I'm going to have my flight that's several days later potentially canceled?

Dumb question here, but if the storm doesn't pass over the Orlando area until Tuesday in the early AM, would MCO still be closed by Friday the 6th? I assume the parks will be reopen by then but I'm just wondering if I'm going to have my flight that's several days later potentially canceled?
It'll depend on the damage it gets. Airports by me were closed for two weeks after Irma hit.

It'll depend on the damage it gets. Airports by me were closed for two weeks after Irma hit.

Dorian is currently much smaller than Irma. Irma's hurricane force winds stretched 70 miles from the eye whereas Dorian's stretch 15 miles from the eye. We are still 4 days out and the margin of error is huge. No one can no for sure what areas will be impacted or how badly. For Irma, MCO closed on Sept 9th at 5pm - Irma crossed the Orlando area late Sept 10th into Sept 11th and the airport reopened the morning of Sept 12th.

So very have a flight out of Pittsburgh weds afternoon. I am thinking of changing it until Thursday morning. Does anyone think this is Nessecary?

I do not understand choosing to drive in before the hurricane. Stay put until it passes. Then drive in.
In addition, Florida when a hurricane approaches looks like a metric ton of traffic on every highway and byway, fuel shortages and trouble filling up a tank, many people evacuating every which way, and shortages of supplies. It’s hard to understand if you have not been through the whole mess a thousand times, but deciding to drive here in the days before a major hurricane comes ashore will be unpleasant at best. And sitting in a hotel room waiting for it to pass is also very little fun.
It’s still to early to make or change plans, and no one is under an evacuation order or even a watch or a warning. I’m just saying that your hurricane plan of driving into a state that is under a state of emergency, would possibly be under evacuation orders, with a major storm bearing down in order to get one or two park days seems like backwards logic. Find a place to stay for the few days that might actually be fun and not dangerous and have that in the back of your mind.
You'll be fine. The storm itself doesn't worry me at all...just the logistics with flying and trying to time that right.

No hype here, just solid true experiences from the past. I agree with @Bran Fox, hurricanes are to be respected. There is absolutely 'no' way I'd be going into where a hurricane is projected to be. True, Disney does a great job protecting people, but in no way in charge of what hurricanes can/have done.
As a S. LA girl, (and relative old timer) we have seen/been in some terrible weather from hurricanes. We have left, but never deliberately gone into them. It's not just the storm, it's the aftereffects. Some, not so bad, others, horrendous.
Can understand disappointments, but that is life. Hopefully, Dorian will not be as bad as projected at this point, but feel bad for those that are planning to travel there into the storm.

Raise you're hand if you're one of those people still traveling to Disney to be in the storm 🙋‍♀️

We leave tomorrow (Friday 08/30) from EWR to travel to MCO - flight currently booked home for Monday Sept 2nd at 8:30pm on JetBlue.

Every. Single. Day. this week the forecast has changed. We have NOT changed our plans! At this rate, the storm may even hold off until Tuesday completely and we can fly home Monday night no problem. Who knows what will happen! JetBlue still has not issues waivers.

This being said, I'd rather be stuck at Animal Kingdom Lodge during a hurricane than at work! LOL!

Go in Sunday and Monday if you are able. We left right before Irma hit and the parks were empty. Kind of wish we'd stayed.
Late Sunday/Monday is when the storm is supposed to hit Central FL. I wouldn't want to be out in that type of weather.

We are supposed to arrive today. Late tonight. Scheduled flight home out of MCO is Monday night. Have people going to Chicago and Indianapolis. From the experienced travelers and locals there do you think the airport will be closed by Monday? Some reports have winds sunday evening off the coast around 125 miles per hour. Would they close Sunday? We just can't get stuck in Orlando! So my real question is would you risk going down this weekend? Is airport going to close? Are parks going to close due to winds/rain? Is this storm going to sit over Florida causing all kinds of rain and delays? Seems crazy right? Ugh! Just so much uncertainty and I am out of time! My gut is telling me just reschedule. What would you do?

I just hope the airport isnt closed for too long. We’re due to come in Tuesday at 6pm and I can’t change anything as we have an international flight and going thru LAX
I don’t want to be stuck there with an infant and toddler.
If I were you, I'd make a refundable hotel reservation around LAX for Tuesday evening, just in case. You can always cancel it if you don't need it.

Currently here now, having a great time! Our flight out is Sunday night and considering moving it up earlier - to Sunday morning or Saturday is the question. I know we should miss the hurricane as it stands now but not sure if the rain/thunderstorms they’re predicting the days before will impact our flight on Sunday. Any thoughts?

We are supposed to arrive today. Late tonight. Scheduled flight home out of MCO is Monday night. Have people going to Chicago and Indianapolis. From the experienced travelers and locals there do you think the airport will be closed by Monday? Some reports have winds sunday evening off the coast around 125 miles per hour. Would they close Sunday? We just can't get stuck in Orlando! So my real question is would you risk going down this weekend? Is airport going to close? Are parks going to close due to winds/rain? Is this storm going to sit over Florida causing all kinds of rain and delays? Seems crazy right? Ugh! Just so much uncertainty and I am out of time! My gut is telling me just reschedule. What would you do?
If your gut says to reschedule then do it!

I am 100% fine being stuck in Orlando so I personally don't care; but you voices tat you can not be stuck! Cancel - reschedule for another time! Disney World will always be there

If you are not flexible at all and cannot get stuck, I would reschedule. I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself if I were worrying about getting home my whole trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter