Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

Changed our flights to Saturday afternoon (was on Sunday) staying offsite. Checking in early Sunday and deciding if it is better to go into the parks Sunday or Monday. Plan on stocking up on food for the rooms if needed (staying at POR). The parks, if open, will hopefully have low crowds so kind of looking forward to that :)
Go in Sunday and Monday if you are able. We left right before Irma hit and the parks were empty. Kind of wish we'd stayed.

I'll Start posting daily forecast predictions for those who want the information. FYI NOAA uses many forecast models to make their predictions, with GFS and ECMWF being the two most widely respected models. Even then there is major variations in the two models currently, just to emphasize the fact that it is entirely a gamble right now on what is going to happen

Latest NOAA prediction

AL052019_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Please notice the new timeframe now. If it continues on this track it looks to slow down and now will be over Orlando Monday night into Tuesday which means the parks could potentially be closed both days. The euro model is still trending way south for landfall but then comes up over Orlando and the GFS has it up near Jacksonville so the path is still not definitive yet. We will sea

11pm update has it hitting as a 3, but coming in to Orlando as a strong 1. So what is your opinion on that?
Still wait until the 11am update today, but it is always safer to not be in the path of a hurricane. The good thing about this storm is how small it is. Just need to see how fast it’s supposed to move through and where they narrow path down to.

Still wait until the 11am update today, but it is always safer to not be in the path of a hurricane. The good thing about this storm is how small it is. Just need to see how fast it’s supposed to move through and where they narrow path down to.
I just hope the airport isnt closed for too long. We’re due to come in Tuesday at 6pm and I can’t change anything as we have an international flight and going thru LAX
I don’t want to be stuck there with an infant and toddler.

I just hope the airport isnt closed for too long. We’re due to come in Tuesday at 6pm and I can’t change anything as we have an international flight and going thru LAX
Obviously, no guarantees, but this is a tiny storm in terms of actual area. The issue is that some models show it lingering over the state. Airports are quick to open back up after a storm, but Tuesday at 6pm is iffy. You have time to watch and wait, but I’d consider pushing back a day if you’ll be really in a pinch with an infant and toddler. I’m in South Florida and our news is just highlighting the uncertainty with this storm when they would normally be telling us to put up shutters! Tuesday at 6pm you might get stuck. But too early to tell.

I'm scheduled to fly in on Tuesday morning, if Dorian hits on Monday as currently expected how long is the airport usually closed? Wondering if I'll be delayed or canceled. (And I know it's still all up in the air!)
They will not reopen the airport until they can. They are going to be in it trying to get up and running asap.There is no general timeline for a cat 2/3. Depending what side of the storm goes through the area could be more damage could be none.

We’re staying at an LAX airport hotel for a night so we can always stay another night if we have to reschedule the flight to Wednesday.
I’d do it now but Delta are still charging for flight changes and my insurance won’t pay unless the airline issues a warning which they haven’t yet.
I’ve been to WDW during two other hurricanes but both times was during our trip and not when flights were an issue.

That’s what I was hoping. I am just looking out for the safety of my family. They suggested looking into travel insurance which doesn’t make sense to me. No one would ever give me a policy now and if they did I am sure hurricanes would be am exclusion. We aren’t asking for our money back, just a future date and we are very flexible
I know that the rental agencies were inflexible when Irma hit. The only refunds went to those with travel insurance or those that purchased the agency’s “cancel any time” policy. As an owner, I would try to work with a renter in a situation like this but sometimes owner’s hands can be tied. In my case, my points expire on Nov. 30. Even if Disney were to refund them, there isn’t much left in inventory to book something before that expiration date. What little there is available is scattered nights here and there at different resorts.

We are supposed to be coming in Saturday through Monday from Jacksonville staying at the Boardwalk using DVC points we rented from another owner. They told me that they can’t cancel, that it was too late. When I told them the DVC hurricane policy regarding getting points back or rescheduling they said there was no guarantees we can get another date. I told them we are flexible since we are passholders and live close. Not sure what we should do at this point. I have 3 kids including a baby and hate to throw away all the money we paid for that resort. Has anyone had success postponing a DVC rental? Thanks so much for your help.
We are in the same boat with DVC rental only our res is from Sun-Sat. We used a broker though, so their policy is no refunds period. Thankfully we paid with a credit card that offers trip protection so if we need to that’s the route will take. Good luck!

I’m following reports and posts here to see what others are doing but have yet to see anyone planing to drive late on Sunday. We have a wedding to attend Sunday at 5 outside of Savannah and had planned to drive through the night, getting to the Poly around midnight. We have the option to stay in Savannah Sun night and drive Mon morning but now it actually seems like we may be better off just trying to get down there ahead of the storm. We don’t have much choice in when we’re go and may or may not be able to recoup costs.

We are in the same boat with DVC rental only our res is from Sun-Sat. We used a broker though, so their policy is no refunds period. Thankfully we paid with a credit card that offers trip protection so if we need to that’s the route will take. Good luck!

I’m following reports and posts here to see what others are doing but have yet to see anyone planing to drive late on Sunday. We have a wedding to attend Sunday at 5 outside of Savannah and had planned to drive through the night, getting to the Poly around midnight. We have the option to stay in Savannah Sun night and drive Mon morning but now it actually seems like we may be better off just trying to get down there ahead of the storm. We don’t have much choice in when we’re go and may or may not be able to recoup costs.
I do not understand choosing to drive in before the hurricane. Stay put until it passes. Then drive in.

I do not understand choosing to drive in before the hurricane. Stay put until it passes. Then drive in.
Well our trip is Sun-Sat (park days M-F) so if current models hold true, driving in after the storm would mean driving down late Tuesday or even Wednesday... so we paid for 6 days and would get 3.

Well our trip is Sun-Sat (park days M-F) so if current models hold true, driving in after the storm would mean driving down late Tuesday or even Wednesday... so we paid for 6 days and would get 3.
The park will not be open in the storm. Same number of park days.

In addition, Florida when a hurricane approaches looks like a metric ton of traffic on every highway and byway, fuel shortages and trouble filling up a tank, many people evacuating every which way, and shortages of supplies. It’s hard to understand if you have not been through the whole mess a thousand times, but deciding to drive here in the days before a major hurricane comes ashore will be unpleasant at best. And sitting in a hotel room waiting for it to pass is also very little fun.

The park will not be open in the storm. Same number of park days.
I get what you’re saying and the idea of being at Disney stuck in our room during a hurricane is not ideal. But no one knows when the park will be closed yet or how strong the storm will be, which is why I’m following here and other places. If it’s open Monday that might work for us. We also have nowhere to stay Monday and Tuesday and would be stranded. Savannah is 4 hours away from our home in the opposite direction of Orlando. We have a room booked at Disney. I just don’t know what our alternative would be.

I get what you’re saying and the idea of being at Disney stuck in our room during a hurricane is not ideal. But no one knows when the park will be closed yet or how strong the storm will be, which is why I’m following here and other places. If it’s open Monday that might work for us. We also have nowhere to stay Monday and Tuesday and would be stranded. Savannah is 4 hours away from our home in the opposite direction of Orlando. We have a room booked at Disney. I just don’t know what our alternative would be.
It’s still to early to make or change plans, and no one is under an evacuation order or even a watch or a warning. I’m just saying that your hurricane plan of driving into a state that is under a state of emergency, would possibly be under evacuation orders, with a major storm bearing down in order to get one or two park days seems like backwards logic. Find a place to stay for the few days that might actually be fun and not dangerous and have that in the back of your mind.

11pm update has it hitting as a 3, but coming in to Orlando as a strong 1. So what is your opinion on that?

Personally, I wouldn’t worry or change my plans for a Cat 1. We live in south LA & have never evacuated for any hurricane in my entire life. Though, if I’m honest, there were some I really wished we would have, but none that were Cat 1.

We’re watching this hurricane also & hoping it doesn’t cross FL, land in the gulf, build up again, & head our way. We’re driving to DW Sept. 7, staying midway in a hotel, & arriving Sept. 8. So we’re hoping it breaks up, preferably before hitting FL, so no one suffers.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry or change my plans for a Cat 1. We live in south LA & have never evacuated for any hurricane in my entire life. Though, if I’m honest, there were some I really wished we would have, but none that were Cat 1.
I'm with you here. I'm from the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Cat 1's are watched, but we don't evacuate. Right now we're hoping the same thing as you, that it doesn't go into the Gulf. We're flying in Friday at mid-day and have no plans to change anything right now.

So after speaking with my daughter, we decided to change our flights. We were to arrive on Monday evening and are flying SW- since they are offering refunds/changes - we went ahead and changed our flight to Sunday to arrive at 730 pm (wish we could have squezzed in Sat but we both work two jobs so it was not an option). If I'm stuck on Sunday, then hopefully we can fly on Monday. There wasnt anything much earlier on Sunday and this is a non stop so at least if we're stuck, we have our car and are 1 1/2 from home and dont have to worry about possibly being stuck at an airport somewhere. If we are stuck at Disney, not ideal but, we are there..... just want to try and avoid a really bumy flight.. Hopefully it's Murphys law, now that I changed my plans,weather will be great.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter