Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

Thanks to all for providing some hope :) I fly in tomorrow and cancelling is not an option. Taking off days from work is difficult and next to impossible unless 6 months in advance so I am coming to Disney no matter what... Plus rented DVC points from someone and no way to cancel and get a refund. I've never been in a hurricane but we ordered a bunch of food/water from Garden Grocer to be delivered to the resort tomorrow and will be bringing some card games in case we are stuck in the room. There is so much outside of our control, so I am trying to maintain a positive outlook.

Just ugh. Two grown daughters planning on flying in on Monday (from different locations)....me driving down from 5 hours away. Not sure what to do. Wondering if Disney will allow me to cancel my Monday night but keep my Tuesday through Friday? (Staying deluxe this trip, and pretty expensive)....

It's far too early to say that kind of thing (bolded quoted text). Each storm is indeed different. Irma was gigantic with hurricane force winds stretching 70 miles from the eye. Dorian is very compact and small, with hurricane force winds only stretching 15 miles. It has been a difficult storm to forecast because it is so small. We don't know if the parks or airports will close, we don't know what damage will be done. What we DO know is that the margin for error 4-5 days out from landfall is 200 miles. That means that everywhere from the Florida Keys to Georgia & the Carolinas are still in play. Florida is the most likely at the moment but that could change 5x before the storm makes landfall. And while it's a very outside chance, it could still curve out to sea.

Yes, it could change or it may not. If you watch the updates it is getting less likely that the course will change. Also, this hurricane has the possibility to grow in size over the warm waters. I didn't say anything was definite and things could change. I don't think there is anything wrong with being prepared and looking at all possible scenarios. Hurricanes are very unpredictable and can be very dangerous. Yes, I live on the east coast and have been through hurricanes.

So since the storm is forecast to hit Monday morning, is it possible the airports will be back up by Wednesday morning? Or should I expect flight delays?

ex
We arrive tomorrow and will be there for 12 days. Actually considered cancelling as a bit nervous but we are going. Just printed our boarding passes for tomorrow morning. Hoping for the best.
[/QUOTE
Thank you! Us too! We've decided to just bite the bullet and go. We are in for 14 days as well. Just taking lots of food and water from the Hoosier state with us. Lol

So since the storm is forecast to hit Monday morning, is it possible the airports will be back up by Wednesday morning? Or should I expect flight delays?

Honestly, I would expect flight delays. There is a chance this storm can stall out till Tuesday morning (per the meteorologists). Even if it doesn't I am sure airlines will be backed up for a couple of days

ex
We arrive tomorrow and will be there for 12 days. Actually considered cancelling as a bit nervous but we are going. Just printed our boarding passes for tomorrow morning. Hoping for the best.
[/QUOTE
Thank you! Us too! We've decided to just bite the bullet and go. We are in for 14 days as well. Just taking lots of food and water from the Hoosier state with us. Lol
Raise you're hand if you're one of those people still traveling to Disney to be in the storm 🙋‍♀️

We leave tomorrow (Friday 08/30) from EWR to travel to MCO - flight currently booked home for Monday Sept 2nd at 8:30pm on JetBlue.

Every. Single. Day. this week the forecast has changed. We have NOT changed our plans! At this rate, the storm may even hold off until Tuesday completely and we can fly home Monday night no problem. Who knows what will happen! JetBlue still has not issues waivers.

This being said, I'd rather be stuck at Animal Kingdom Lodge during a hurricane than at work! LOL!

🙋‍♀️

We were at wdw in 2016 during Hurricane Hermine...was our 25th anniversary and wr stayed a few days in Pass A Grille (St Pete Beach) and drove over. As we left PAG, the businesses were boarding up. We drove in heavy rain and it rained on and off our whole trip. We were at POR and we stopped en route to get water and snacks for the room. Our 3rd day was the day Hermine made landfall...we were swimming up to 8pm when lightening etc got to much so we went to see Yee Ha Bob.A lot of the staff called off, but we had fun. It broke up to a Cat 1 and it was just a lot of rain. Matthew was 3 weeks later and I saw lots of posts about food hoarding. I feel like wdw is a safe place to be in a Hurricane, but Id want snacks, etc in my room. A tornado siren went off 2x during the night, but I honestly had been thru way worse thunderstorms in Chicago...but we DID see MAJOR flooding videos out of PAG, right where we stayed!

So if I am supposed to arrive on Tuesday, with dinner reservations and all, should I be preparing to cancel them now?

If flights are backed up a couple days how does that effect my hotel stay at Disney?

I have been told that if the MNSSHP is cancelled due to Dorian on Monday nite Disney “will work with guests to try and change their tickets to another night or event” “they want people to be safe and also not to lose their money due to a party being cancelled” however guests will need to initiate contact with Disney in order to change their ticket or request a refund this will not just happen automatically. The CM did mention that a park closure would be possible if weather conditions warrant such. He also said the Gov. has already announced a State of Emergency although they still don’t know the exact path of storm. Finally, I was told I could speak with a CM who could help change or cancel Party right now or I could wait til day of party.
I was at WDW during Hurricane Matthew and they closed the parks for 1.5 days and cancelled two MNSSHP. I had tickets for one of the parties. I called and was given 3 choices that I thought were quite good choices: 1) a refund. 2) an exchange for a later (non sold out) party or 3) a 1-day non-up-gradable, 1-day base ticket. I chose the refund, since I wasn't planning to go back that year.

I hope everyone stays safe and Dorian doesnt hit Florida too hard or do too much damage!

My question is purely out of curiosity about AFTER a hurricane comes through and what the impacts are in Orlando and on the parks.

My Dh and I have a 28th anniversary trip Sept 10th-13th and I'm sure Dorian will be gone but what is the aftermath? A week out will there be issues related? Airlines? Damage? I know Orlando isnt coastal so usually it isnt as bad.

Biggest curiosity is crowds. Do people postpone a week or two and then the parks are packed right after a hurricane passes? We wont be terribly impacted either way because it's not a commando-hit-all-the-rides kind of trip, but I'm interested if anyone has experience.

Also, is the weather usually better? Thought I read that usually weather is good for a bit because the hurricane "sucks up" all the moisture, etc in the area?

Not true. We live on Marco Island and evacuated for Irma. The island was told to evacuate. Irma made landfall on Marco Island.

Ok then, REAL FLORIDIANS do not evacuate for hurricanes.

No one who lives on Marco Island is a REAL Floridian. You must be one of them northern transplants.

(my attempt at humor may be eluding you. This is all in good humor so don't get upset.)

So if I am supposed to arrive on Tuesday, with dinner reservations and all, should I be preparing to cancel them now?

If flights are backed up a couple days how does that effect my hotel stay at Disney?

Disney has a hurricane policy, and they are very accommodating regarding rebooking, fees, etc.

I was at WDW during Hurricane Matthew and they closed the parks for 1.5 days and cancelled two MNSSHP. I had tickets for one of the parties. I called and was given 3 choices that I thought were quite good choices: 1) a refund. 2) an exchange for a later (non sold out) party or 3) a 1-day non-up-gradable, 1-day base ticket. I chose the refund, since I wasn't planning to go back that year.

I forgot that we were onsite at the same time! We ending up switching to another night.

I think people need to remember that every storm is different. Just because it wasn't bad being in the area during one hurricane doesn't mean the next will be the same.

I have been looking at local Orlando news/weather and the meteorologists say this could be the biggest storm that has hit central Florida in 30 years. Now maybe they are wrong but what if they are right. With even that possibility the damage of the storm could be bad. There is a possibility of this storm going stronger than a CAT 3 and hitting Florida coast and the inland harder than originally thought. Not only would parks be closed during the storm, which right now could be over 24 hours, but there could also be damage to the area. There is no telling how long anything will be closed. You have to be ready and be able to possibly be stuck in Florida and probably a hotel room for several days or even more. There could also be power outages.

I know I would not want to try and get into Florida during a storm like this. It can be very dangerous. There is always another time like pp said Disney will always be there.

This is just my opinion but unless I had a lot of time and money to be there I would not want to spend my vacation in a situation like could possibly happen. Yes, Disney has been seen as being safe but anything can change.

I know everyone knows what is best for their family. I wish everyone who is going to be there good luck and stay safe.

This is so true. Plus with Orlando being inland its hard to know exactly what the strength will be when it gets there or exactly how long until it moves on. I can't imagine being stuck in a hotel room with no power, my house is bad enough but a hotel room with no way to ventilate in the Florida heat? No way, no how.

This is so true. Plus with Orlando being inland its hard to know exactly what the strength will be when it gets there or exactly how long until it moves on. I can't imagine being stuck in a hotel room with no power, my house is bad enough but a hotel room with no way to ventilate in the Florida heat? No way, no how.
If I absolutely had to be at Disney during a hurricane it would be at WL or AKL. you have a lobby, can walk around, restaurants right there , and wouldn't feel cooped up in a room.

If I absolutely had to be at Disney during a hurricane it would be at WL or AKL. you have a lobby, can walk around, restaurants right there , and wouldn't feel cooped up in a room.
Those lobbies are also comprised of mostly glass. You may still be confined to your room during the worst part of the storm.

Those lobbies are also comprised of mostly glass. You may still be confined to your room during the worst part of the storm.
Yes, but its hurricane impact resistant. Which is what I have at home. Never 100% but you have glass in your windows and balconys too.

Hurricane Irma caused us to reschedule our trip a few years ago. It was a horrible experience, so I sympathize with those going through making that decision right now. Just FYI, we were on hold for 5+ hours trying to reschedule everything for two months later, but everything did work out in the end. We also got a wonderful special fast pass for Flight of Passage on our rescheduled trip in November, which was a very hot commodity!

Rescheduling or going to WDW during a hurricane is a personal preference. We chose to reschedule because it was a short trip and the parks ended up being closed for two days, which was half of our time there. We have also stayed in WDW until the morning of a hurricane and then drove home. The one thing I will say, is do not let people on this board sway you one way or the other. This is a decision you should make on your own! The consequences are what you will be dealing with on your own! Each experience is unique to that group. Arrival times and departure times are different. Hotels are different. Comfort levels and financial situations are different. That was the hardest part for me during Irma, seeing everyone say they were going and then making me feel guilty for cancelling. But I knew what was right for me and my family. But other families now have wonderful memories of their Irma trip. These boards can cause a lot of peer pressure either way, so decide on what makes YOU feel the best! And as always, I will be jealous of anyone there hurricane or not!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter