How is Everybody's Garden Doing

Our summer garden is off to a pretty good start.

The spring crops - strawberries, radishes, and peas actually didn't do all that great, but we did get a little of each.

We've already harvested a dozen or so gigantic cucumbers, a bunch of sungold cherry tomatoes, and probably 15-20 jalapenos - also huge. We'll make grilled jalapeno poppers with those soon. The basil has come in really well, we've harvested a few pounds of potatoes, and a few handfuls of blueberries. The poblanos, bell peppers, and larger tomatoes look good, but nothing is ready to harvest yet. Also, we're trying okra for the first time this year. The plants seem on the small side, and it's hard to tell how they'll do. The blackberries are starting to show some berries, but we're not counting on those much since they're also new this year. The fig tree is also too new to produce.

Excellent gardening year here in Southern California, after the unusually long winter. I have great yellow squash in, huge and tender lettuce, and my gardenia bushes have more flowers than ever before. Same with hydrangeas. Happy gardener this year.

All of my veggies are doing pretty well. Based on my space at my home in CA the veggies are in raised beds. Lost my first batch of tomatoes to the rain. My new crop is much happier.

My garden headline this year has been the banner year I’m having with my dahlias and roses. They are just nuts and beautiful!
View attachment 772384View attachment 772385View attachment 772386View attachment 772387View attachment 772388

Gorgeous! Could you share what kind of rose that is -- the pale pink with the buttery center. It's beautiful!!

It's not been a good year. I continue to have problems with groundhogs digging under the fence and eating everything but the peppers and tomatoes. It's ridiculous and to the point that next year I might not plant a garden.

It's not been a good year. I continue to have problems with groundhogs digging under the fence and eating everything but the peppers and tomatoes. It's ridiculous and to the point that next year I might not plant a garden.
We are over run with groundhogs. My husband trapped and relocated 2. Please don’t flame me. I know that’s not a great solution but when you invest $$$ into a garden, you can’t let the critters destroy it. Not to mention they damage the buildings as well.

Overrun with cucumbers and zucchini, good amount of cherry tomatoes, hot peppers, long hots, delicata squash, green onions and eggplant. My husband trained the cucumbers to grow up the side of our wrap around porch so now you can pick them while sitting comfortably. They made a big of a wall.

Those potatoes are so cool! I've never grown them.

Yesterday, I made a ton of pesto and froze it. Cut down all the basil because it's getting cooler at night. We had Thai food for dinner to use up some Thai basil, but I'm not sure how to preserve it. I froze some with oil as an experiment, but usually, it's used as a fresh herb, so I'm not sure how that will end up tasting.

Those potatoes are so cool! I've never grown them.

Yesterday, I made a ton of pesto and froze it. Cut down all the basil because it's getting cooler at night. We had Thai food for dinner to use up some Thai basil, but I'm not sure how to preserve it. I froze some with oil as an experiment, but usually, it's used as a fresh herb, so I'm not sure how that will end up tasting.
Potatoes are really easy to grow and I grow them in a bag so you don’t need a lot of space.

I’d love to hear how the Thai basil freezes. I made and froze pesto with my regular basil but have a lot of Thai basil left.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter