How is Everybody's Garden Doing

you are fortunate-animal control won't handle anything on private property where we live.
I can relate to that as well. I own property in a much more rural area, where animal control pretty much doesn't exist. Nature pretty much takes care of the cycle of life. Much harder in suburban areas where the balance is more likely to get off kilter.

I am gearing up for garden season. I ordered my potato seeds last weekend and just ordered my tomato starter plants. The woman I usually get my tomato plants from retired so I am trying a new place. They have a huge selection of heirloom tomato plants and I have no self control when buying tomato plants so I ordered 17 kinds, 19 plants. #tomatoissues

IMG_5733.jpeg
My CA 4th of July tomatoes were doing so well!! Until the hail storm we had yesterday. Hopefully they make it. 🍅🇺🇸

In my corner of Canada, we do not plant the garden until the penultimate Monday of May, unless we can protect it from the frost. For now I am so thrilled: There is no snow left anywhere on our property! Never seen that!

I have cabbage, lettuce, spinach, and kale actively growing.....also, planted onions from seed.
I started tomatoes from seed. Peppers I will buy plants. They are so high maintenance and take so long here in the northeast form seed to table.
I am thrilled for @evilmommie and her 4th of July tomatoes They look anazing. Keep us posted!

I have cabbage, lettuce, spinach, and kale actively growing.....also, planted onions from seed.
I started tomatoes from seed. Peppers I will buy plants. They are so high maintenance and take so long here in the northeast form seed to table.
I am thrilled for @evilmommie and her 4th of July tomatoes They look anazing. Keep us posted!
Are your cabbage, lettuce, spinach, and kale outside? How long have you had them outside if they are outside? Do you do anything to protect them. I would love to move to a longer garden season and have been looking into options.

Unfortunately I can’t grow from seed. One of my 2 cats is plant obsessed.

I did see some people cleaning up the dirt/planting seeds during my walk yesterday. We had a nice week but I think temperature should be dropping again. DH felt okay yesterday and also cleaned up whatever bit of dirt we have/plenty of pots. I am not sure if he planted certain seeds yet or will wait a few more days. I know they all have their time. I/we plant flowers/set up flower pots Mother's Day weekend or right after.

Wow! I am so jealous! I hope your plants survive the hail!! I’m in New England and won’t be able to plant tomatoes until around Mother’s Day. I am hoping to plant some cool weather crops like peas soon.
Up here in the Maine mountains we wait till Father's Day to plant the summer garden (tomatoes, peppers, etc.). That wisdom may change though... season is coming earlier and earlier. Maple syrup season used to be March/April. Now it's Feb/March.

Are your cabbage, lettuce, spinach, and kale outside? How long have you had them outside if they are outside? Do you do anything to protect them. I would love to move to a longer garden season and have been looking into options.

Unfortunately I can’t grow from seed. One of my 2 cats is plant obsessed.
I grew them from seed for the month we were in Florida and brought them home They are now out on our deck Cabagge, Kale, and lettuce are 4-6 inches tall Ready to grow in the ground this week. I will cover them with crop cover (white sheet like on colder nights and to keep pest free)
The tomatoes and basil I have under lights in the basement.
We don't have cats so the seedlings are pretty safe. :tigger:

It seems like every spring people are anxious to plant flowers/crops/etc. just because there are a few warm days. Always good to check around online for the last 'frost day' for your area to avoid surprises with a late frost. Tender plants won't survive outdoors if it happens to dip below freezing.

I gauge planting by soil temperature and have a soil thermometer All the plants I am putting in now are cool weather.
I can add hoops and row covers for an unexpected cold night or 2.
Last frost dates are changing we have moved up a zone in the last 2 years.

We live in Scotland and the last of the frost has now disappeared and I mowed the lawn for the first time this week. The Garden Centres are full of spring flowers and shrubs so I'll be buying a few next week.Looking forward to summer, it's been a long winter 🥶

We live in Scotland and the last of the frost has now disappeared and I mowed the lawn for the first time this week. The Garden Centres are full of spring flowers and shrubs so I'll be buying a few next week.Looking forward to summer, it's been a long winter 🥶
Happy for you! What flowers do you buy for around your home?

As an aside...............What is weather like in June?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter